Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 12:31:30 PM

Login with username, password and session length

The LOST Season 3 Thread *** Please Obscure Spoilers ***

Started by 19pack, September 15, 2006, 10:07:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ja'moke

Yeah I know what you mean that's also ridiculous, although it's Season 3 I think you mean regarding Lost's slow start, Season 2 had a decent start I thought, that's the one where they went down the hatch and Desmond was introduced.

But I was really happy that we were going to get a 16 episode straight run with no stupid breaks in between, but now we have to wait a YEAR for the second half of Season 4. Damn this writers strike.

Kazuo Kiriyama

I'm hoping this is a worst case scenario if the strike goes on for months and months. I've read that Arnie and Bill Clinton are trying to step in and put an end to it, so I'm just hoping something insane happens and it's over real quick, and we can get the full 16 episodes. A few weeks of striking shouldn't make that much of a difference, not for a show that's three months from airing with two months worth in the can already.

Artemis

Fox has been fucking us around with it's sporadic scheduling of Lost since season one, though. It will be a pain to have to wait for a new season (why a year though - is February that sacred to the network that it cannot re-start at any other point? What about shoving it on in the Autumn, for example? I don't think Lindelof's reasoning about a story being unable to start until half a dozen episodes into a season holds much weight, either? Who decided that?

Marvin

Ja'moke

Quote from: Artemis on November 09, 2007, 11:01:45 PM
Fox has been fucking us around with it's sporadic scheduling of Lost since season one, though.

It's ABC actually but your point still stands. They've always messed Lost around, putting 3 month breaks during the seasons run and stuff, really halts any momentum that the show was building up.

I could maybe see that you need two or three episodes to get the story going but still that's no excuse for the episodes themselves to be sub-par. And you certainly don't need 8 episodes to start off a plot, it's weird that Lindelof would say that, seeing as J.J Abrams who produces Lost also wrote Alias and for the first three seasons of that show, always kicked off straight away with getting on with the plot. It slowed down a bit in Season 4 however.

JesusAndYourBush

Quote from: Arcturus on November 09, 2007, 01:49:16 PM
Some news from the gob of Damon Lindelof on how the WGA writer's strike may affect the coming fourth season of the show:

QuoteWow. Really?
Yes. And you'd be, like, oh my god, I can't believe I have to wait another year and two months for episode nine of this season.

WHAT. THE. FUCK.

Shurely shome mishtake?  It'd be 10 months wouldn't it?

Moribunderast

I loved the first two series of Lost but with the third, the padding for time seemed too obvious and frustrating. That interview quote confirms it. I understand the network wants a lot of episodes of a high-rating show, but surely that's counter-productive if it completely fucks with the shows ability to tell it's story well?

I also really think that to STILL be having flashbacks into the third Season was a really lazy way of keeping the story moving at a snail's pace. I'm thinking now that an end-date is set, it might just be worth avoiding all-together and watching the last few episodes in a couple of years.

Of course, If I am home when it's on, I'm pretty sure I'll still give it a chance. It's just annoying to feel taken advantage of by a show that once promised such great things.

Ja'moke

Yeah but that's why they've now set an end date, so now they can work towards that and tell the story at a proper pace because before they never knew when the end date would be so they had to pad it out. There's only really two seasons worth of episodes left but ABC have split into 3 seasons of 16 episodes instead. But I was really looking forward to the straight run of 16, but now with the writers strike once again things have been messed up.

Famous Mortimer

Quote from: Ja'moke on November 11, 2007, 05:14:16 PM
Yeah but that's why they've now set an end date, so now they can work towards that and tell the story at a proper pace because before they never knew when the end date would be so they had to pad it out.
Didn't they always claim they knew how it was going to end and when? If that's the case, then surely padding of any sort is inexcusable?

Ja'moke

Quote from: Famous Mortimer on November 11, 2007, 05:44:04 PM
Didn't they always claim they knew how it was going to end and when? If that's the case, then surely padding of any sort is inexcusable?

Yeah but knowing how it's going to end and when it's going to end are two very different things. They've said in many interviews about the storylines that they've had planned from the beginning and then talked about the ones that are made up for that season to pad the show out a bit because ABC wouldn't give them a specific end date.

Moribunderast

And in regards to the gassy "monster", am I correct in remembering a quote from one of the writers in the past that went along the lines of "We hadn't really planned that. We just needed a hook for the first series to get people interested."?

I think the payoff to the monster will be the biggest thing, in terms of whether the show is torn to shit by fans or not, as that was the original promise and as the series goes on, it seems less likely that the monster can be explained in any satisfactory way. Surely I can't be the only one who pissed himself laughing when black gas killed Mr. Eko?

At the moment, I just see this show going the same way as The X-Files. By the time they get to the last episode, sure, they'll answer some stuff, but it will be so convoluted and messy that it just won't be as satisfying as the mystery itself. That isn't necessarily a bad thing - I loved that movie "The Machinist", but hated the "reveal" at the end. I just have a strong feeling I'm going to be left with the same feeling from Lost.

That all said, I do hope the writer's strike doesn't go on for much longer as I don't want Lost or The Office to be severely affected.

Artemis

We're getting some new material tomorrow, and for the next few weeks according to Hollywood Insider:

Quote from: Hollywood InsiderThe new season of Lost begins Monday! Kinda. ABC has (quietly) announced that it will begin posting its Lost "mobisodes" (originally intended to debut with Verizon Wireless customers) on Monday, Nov. 12, at abc.com. The series of two- to three-minute vignettes — collectively known as "Missing Pieces" — kicks off with "The Watch," focusing on Matthew Fox's character. The micro-stories aren't deleted scenes — they're newly-shot material that fits into the larger Lost saga; it's up to the fans to figure out where they belong. A new Webisode will post each Monday.

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: Moribunderast on November 11, 2007, 11:34:27 PM
And in regards to the gassy "monster", am I correct in remembering a quote from one of the writers in the past that went along the lines of "We hadn't really planned that. We just needed a hook for the first series to get people interested."?

I think the payoff to the monster will be the biggest thing, in terms of whether the show is torn to shit by fans or not, as that was the original promise and as the series goes on, it seems less likely that the monster can be explained in any satisfactory way. Surely I can't be the only one who pissed himself laughing when black gas killed Mr. Eko?

I think they've already got some idea of what the gassy monster is now. I remember seeing on Richard and Judy at around the time of the second series that if you freeze frame the gassy one at times you can see images of various characters in it, which suggests they've built a premise around the original idea at least.

Ja'moke

I've read in their interviews many times that "smokey" is one of the big storylines that they've known what it is right from the start, along with who Dharma really are and what they want with the island and who Jacob is.

I agree though that the overall pay off will make or break Lost in whether it becomes a 'classic' or not. If the reveal at the end is weak then Lost will probably just go down as a show that had a really good first season, then a pretty good run afterwards but with a lackluster ending. But if the pay off is brilliant and I mean like really "wow, I didn't expect that!" type of pay off, which is well executed as well as being satisfying then I think Lost will go down as a classic mystery-drama.

Oh and the first of the Mobi-sodes was posted on Dark UFO last week, nothing special,
Spoiler alert
it's just a scene with Jack and his Dad before the wedding to Sarah.
[close]

Moribunderast

Just read over the previous pages of this thread and it made me realize just how much of Series 3 I didn't watch. I think I gave up when the second island was revealed and returned toward the end. All the 'Jacob' stuff I haven't seen/heard anything about, as well as the Dharma flashback episode. Is it worth renting the Season 3 DVD over the Christmas holidays?

Ja'moke

Quote from: Moribunderast on November 12, 2007, 09:42:52 AM
Just read over the previous pages of this thread and it made me realize just how much of Series 3 I didn't watch. I think I gave up when the second island was revealed and returned toward the end. All the 'Jacob' stuff I haven't seen/heard anything about, as well as the Dharma flashback episode. Is it worth renting the Season 3 DVD over the Christmas holidays?

Definitely, the best way to watch Lost is all in one-sitting (or over the course of a week maybe), you can watch them at your own pace rather than waiting week after week and then for 3 month breaks that ABC like to do. I'm too impatient myself to wait until the full series has finished, but yeah I'd say it's worth getting, it picks up a hell of a lot in Episode 8 and is pretty much consistent from them on.

Ginyard

Quote from: Famous Mortimer on November 09, 2007, 04:33:17 PM
I meant Lindelof's defence of the extremely slow start to "Heroes" (and season 2 of his own show, to be fair), but you're right too.

Reading that may explain why I never made it past episode 7.

Anyway, an 8 episode Lost?!. I feel like I've just woken up in a coffin 6 feet under and need to take a shit.

lactating man nips

Can anyone get the 'mobisode' to work on ABC's site? Coz I'll be fucked if i can...

PAGATRON

BUMP!!!

Just finished watching season 3 and I'm now considering collecting all three season on dvd.

Anyway this from another forum has a good theory for what the island is about and who Jacob is
which seems to make sense.