Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,559,185
  • Total Topics: 106,348
  • Online Today: 767
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 06:05:16 AM

Login with username, password and session length

The longest CD singles ever

Started by Dr David V, March 16, 2004, 01:10:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dr David V

We've had the shortest albums ever, time to reverse that methinks.

I'm currently listening to Last Night A DJ Killed My Dog by Mr Oizo, which is a 6-track single that lasts 41:23. I don't think I've heard a longer CD single ever. If anyone would like to correct me, or add even longer singles, please do.

boki

Org once released a Brian Jonestown Massacre 'single' that had 17 bonus tracks (taking the total to 20) and ran to about 70 minutes or so.  BJM's  US label were slightly miffed.  A couple of their other singles also come with Organ Radio compilations on them (if it's still available I'd recommend the Muy Feo EP as not only do you get four slabs of fine Fugazi-esque racket from Muy Feo but there's also an early demo of My Vitriol's 'Cemented Shoes' that rocks mightily).

Spiteface

I have an EP entitled "Yawn!" by Lazycame a.k.a. Former JAMC man William Reid which has 5 listed songs, but a shitload more (or just a superlong one, I cannot remember which) shoehorned into track 5, I think the total running time was an hour or thereabouts...

Rats

my mams got love is all around by wet wet wet and it lasts for 3 fuck off days

fanny splendid

The Orb's 'Blue Room' lasts about forty minutes. And that's just the one song.

pretty dead boy

jailbird by primal scream's pretty valueriffic at five tracks, coming to thirty eight minutes.  my father my king by mogwai was a one track single that was twenty minutes twelve, and therefore inelligible for the charts.  i'll swear on jesus grave that i didn't buy them, but i think in the days of tommy out of space duetting with cerys, they'd put on about nine mixes so people would buy the singles.

the three track, twenty minute maximum rule for cd singles is worse than apartheid

JesusAndYourBush

Quote from: "pretty dead boy"the three track, twenty minute maximum rule for cd singles is worse than apartheid
Not a rule as such, as people are still allowed to have singles that are longer, it just means they're disqualified from being in the charts, and the charts are shit anyway.

There's no such rule in Japan where singles are sometimes longer than albums.  The "Kanariya" single by Hamasaki Ayumi lasts 78.06.

lazyhour

Quote from: "JesusAndYourBush"
There's no such rule in Japan where singles are sometimes longer than albums.  The "Kanariya" single by Hamasaki Ayumi lasts 78.06.

But it's 78.06 of Hamasaki Ayumi.

Had it been 78.06 of Pizzicato 5, Polysics, Cornelius, Halcali, Rip Slyme, Asa-Chang & Jun Ray, Puffy, Hermann H & The Pacemakers, Kahimi Karie, Kojima Mayumi, Plus-Tech Squeeze Box, Fantastic Plastic Machine, 12.Hitoe, Boredoms, Seagull Screaming Kiss Her Kiss Her, Great 3, Nona Reeves, Shonen Knife, Flipper's Guitar, maher Shalal Hash Baz or Takemura Nobukazu, it would have been better.

I'm cheating a bit.  I only got into a lot of these bands because I lived in Japan.  But that still makes me best.

Also, singles in Japan fucking well should be a hundred hours long, as they cost ten pounds.  Ten pounds!!  Imagine British kids paying ten pounds for a Westlife single!

Actually, they would, wouldn't they?  Forget it then.