Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 11:54:13 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Marty Grosz

Started by Whirlybird, September 28, 2006, 02:23:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Whirlybird

I was searching for swing videos on YouTube the other night, and found a few cliips of this chap.  Does anyone know anything about him?   He's excellent, not just a great guitarist, but an extremely amusing bloke to boot.  I love his singing voice, too, especially on this song:

I've got tons of Fats Waller on the puter at the mo, and can stick his version up if anyone's interested.  Grosz' vocal style does seem influenced by Waller.  This is the clip I found at first:

Both beautiful pieces of music, but crikey, just check out the guitar playing on the second one!  Look at him go at 3:39...I mean, that whole instrumental serction is remarkable, but he's playing that guitar like a double bass, isn't he?  I've never knowingly heard that sound come out of a guitar before ...I couldn't quite work it out at first.  I wish YouTube or Flash would update their player to give colour controls, I had to do all sorts of fiddling with my monitor to see what he was at.  

So anyway, I desperately want more, can anyone advise?  Where's the best place to start with his recorded output?  Heh, just having a look on AMG and I notice that one of his records is called "Songs I Learned At My Mothers Knee & Other Low Joints."

There are only two more Marty Grosz clips on YouTube, here they are:

Sadly this is the last one with him singing:

Outrageous clarinet playing in this:

Well, why not, eh? (alternate clip):