Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 26, 2024, 12:46:06 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Jack Straw- Women who wear veils make community relations more difficult.

Started by Shoulders?-Stomach!, October 05, 2006, 04:32:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shoulders?-Stomach!

On The Demands Of The Q:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/5410472.stm

Muslim women in the UK who wear full veils make "better, positive relations" between communities "more difficult", Commons leader Jack Straw has said.
Concealing a face was "a visible statement of separation and of difference", the Blackburn MP wrote in the Lancashire Evening Telegraph

Hmmm..part of me wants to shake Jack Straw very thoroughly to knock the idiot out of him. The other part thinks that I wouldn't like to debate with someone where I can't see the whole of their face.

Quote"My concerns could be misplaced, but I think there is an issue here," he said.

He put himself in a position to allow his concerns to be misplaced anyway. Isn't that a bit foolish? He's already said that all women he has asked to remove their veils have done so freely.

Santa's Boyfriend

I think we should extend this to women wearing clothes altogether.

Mister Cairo

No-one really respects Jack Shit, I've found.

QuoteHe's already said that all women he has asked to remove their veils have done so freely.

He is popular with the ladies it seems!

TraceyQ

QuoteAllah does not accept the prayer of a woman who has reached puberty unless she wears a veil.

Religion fucking stinks.

Jack's right, though, I'm afraid. It does prevent communities coming together, It doesnt look open or friendly.

gazzyk1ns

Quote from: "Mister Cairo"No-one really respects Jack Shit, I've found.

His name is Anderton.

Edit: Heh, doesn't really work, does it, considering who the thread is about. I lose.

gazzyk1ns

Tits McGee

Quote from: "gazzyk1ns"
Quote from: "Mister Cairo"No-one really respects Jack Shit, I've found.

His name is Anderton.

Edit: Heh, doesn't really work, does it, considering who the thread is about. I lose.

Why don't you leave SS alone? Why are people so picky on him?

Shoulders?-Stomach!

QuoteAllah does not accept the prayer of a woman who has reached puberty unless she wears a veil.

Is that actually in the Koran?

And yes. Fucking, fucking religion.

gazzyk1ns

Re: Tits

Oh my god, I really shouldn't have posted. I thought I was being ultra-witty and clever but I was being a dickhead because I didn't spot that the thread was about Mr. Straw. I am a dickhead, please call me a dickhead too, go on, say it at your monitor right now.

Tits McGee

I just have.

Dickhead!

I think I should become a mod, some of the antics on this forum.

John Self

Quote from: "Tits McGee"Why don't you leave SS alone? Why are people so picky on him?

Ah, shouldn't really say (because gossip's bad form, and I often enjoy his posts), but... a while back, he upset everyone by losing his mind to drugs and going on a racist rampage.

He smoked too much dope and threw a whitey.

Tits McGee

Tits McGee

TraceyQ

Tits McGee

Yes.

I'm going to start a thread, I'm fucked off. He's made some really good music, have a listen on his Myspace.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Brutus Beefcake

Quote from: "Shoulders?-Stomach!"

Is that actually in the Koran?

And yes. Fucking, fucking religion.

No, all it says is that women should dress "modestly", and in Mohammed's day they often went around topless.

Purple Tentacle

Last I saw, his Myspace was just a giant swastika, and pictures of some sick he'd done, with visible flecks of smack.

Tits McGee

Quote from: "Shoulders?-Stomach!"Please don't.

Okay then.

But some people need to stop picking on others.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Quote from: "Purple Tentacle"Last I saw, his Myspace was just a giant swastika, and pictures of some sick he'd done, with visible flecks of smack.

I've updated it now. There's a goat limb and some poo.

sproggy

Ha!

Stop it with the Nazi already.

Can white British 'Christians' really have a sensible conversation with a woman who has her face and body hidden from view.  The answer is probably no, so in that respect the Strawster probably has a valid point.

Purple Tentacle

Quote from: "sproglette"Stop it with the Nazi already.

What's disturbing is that since you've mentioned my obsession with the Nazi Party, I've made two references to Nazis without even realising.

And at home I've got a DVD of Triumph of the Will on my desk.

To be honest, I'm starting to get scared about getting into a shower with myself.

Jemble Fred

Quote from: "TraceyQ"

Religion fucking stinks.

Jack's right, though, I'm afraid. It does prevent communities coming together, It doesnt look open or friendly.

I'm an awfully busy man, and as my feelings on this subject were perfectly articulated in just this third posting on this thread, I shall now leave. Straw's statement seems self-evidently to be the case.

Quote from: "Purple Tentacle"To be honest, I'm starting to get scared about getting into a shower with myself.

One of us, one of us...

23 Daves

I used to work on reception for the DSS, and there was a community relations woman I had to deal with who was always fully veiled.  The trouble was, she was also rather quiet with her approaches to the desk, so sometimes I'd be typing away only to look up and see a pair of eyes staring at me behind a veil.  It put the shits up me each and every single time.

The trouble is, Western society sees veils as being "sinister" because their origins are often less than positive - it's taken as being concealment for negative ends. I'll admit, my brain's first thought for a split second was always "Masked madman!  Sound the emergency alarms!"

I accept this might say more about me than the practice of wearing veils, however.

Suttonpubcrawl

Quote from: "23 Daves"The trouble is, Western society sees veils as being "sinister" because their origins are often less than positive - it's taken as being concealment for negative ends. I'll admit, my brain's first thought for a split second was always "Masked madman!  Sound the emergency alarms!"

I accept this might say more about me than the practice of wearing veils, however.

I dunno, it probably says something about the way that IRA men wearing balaclavas is quite a powerful image in the UK.

Does anyone have a problem with people who wear those veils that just cover the hair and round the head, while leaving the face visible? I think I find myself a bit uneasy around such people, mainly because it makes obvious the fact that they're religious. I find myself getting uncomfortable when talking to priests and nuns for the same reason, I'm just so non-religious and I'm afraid that my ungodly ways will offend them.

Felatio Imperative

It doesn't say more about you at all, except that you were raised in an open environment where women were accepted as equals. Why all this relentless navel gazing? Oh yeah, we're so out of order not approving of women covering up and walking 10 paces behind their menfolk. Stupid backward imperialistic western traditions. Being the powerful majority means we're inheritantly evil and so we must turn our world upside down to accommodate seemingly backward but actually enlightening eastern practices.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Why are you so upset? If that didn't happen you'd have no target to gleefully attack. That must be partly why you're here I suppose. Your voice would probably melt away in the sludge of other forums. Here you're different...special.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

Quote from: "Suttonpubcrawl"Does anyone have a problem with people who wear those veils that just cover the hair and round the head, while leaving the face visible?
Yeah, those bastards!