Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 11:31:55 AM

Login with username, password and session length

"The air attack warning sounds like. This is the sound"

Started by Part Chimp, October 09, 2006, 04:33:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Part Chimp

Oh bum. North Korea have started nuclear tests. I'm too young for armageddon. Help, someone! Help!!

QuoteReports from North and South Korea say the communist authorities in North Korea have carried out their first ever test of a nuclear weapon.
The North Korean state news agency said the underground test was a success.

In South Korea, President Roh Moo-hyun convened a meeting of his top security officials following the reports.

North Korea said last week that it planned to test a nuclear weapon, in defiance of international warnings, because of what it called US hostility.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/6032525.stm

Circusfire

Quite interesting that China, who were warned about the test by North Korea, snitched to the Americans about it.

Neville Chamberlain

Bugger. I was planning a trip to North Korea in a couple of years.

Hypnotoad.

I wouldnt worry about it, the furthest they can get is the US West Coast, and the world could benefit from a few less yanks

chav

The world could benefit from a few less everybody.

TOCMFIC

I'm on the western side of Canada... Hopefully they can't reach here.

Of course nearly everyone loves Canada. Or at least did, until Stephen Harper took power it seems...

Purple Tentacle

To be fair, if I was an evil dictator..

Hmm, Los Angeles or Vancouver... LA or Vancouver... I literally can't decide..

Christ, if two buildngs (and a polygonal building) getting knocked down gave a mandate to one of the most right-wing and oppressive administrations ever, imagine what the flash-frying of tens of millions of Americans would do....

Hypnotoad.

Blumf

Here's the USGS earthquake map of the region and here is a Google map with the location.

Oh and judging from the size of the seismic event the bomb would be around a few kilotons in size (maybe 4Kt).

Santa's Boyfriend

Purple Tentacle

Quote from: "Santa's Boyfriend"Pah!  That's pathetic.

Damn right! That would hardly incinerate Acton!

It's certainly no Tsar Bomba. (50,000kt)

Hypnotoad.

Quote from: "Purple Tentacle"
Quote from: "Santa's Boyfriend"Pah!  That's pathetic.

Damn right! That would hardly incinerate Acton!

It's certainly no Tsar Bomba. (50,000kt)

Fucking hell

Also,
QuoteThe device was scaled down from its original design of 100 megatons to reduce the resulting nuclear fallout.

Santa's Boyfriend

Even the Hiroshima bomb was 13kt.  Come on North Korea, you'll have to do better than that!

sproggy

Quote from: "Santa's Boyfriend"Even the Hiroshima bomb was 13kt.

I think that was probably the physical weight of the thing.

It's one thing creating a nuclear explosion, it's quite another getting the damned thing small enough to strap to a missile and blow up your intended target. That's the clever bit.

This is quite obviously North Korea's death croak to let the world know they are still there before China step in, give them a wedgy and tell them to stop fucking about with grown up toys.  China come out as the heroes, everyone's happy the end.

Blumf

Quote from: "sproglette"
Quote from: "Santa's Boyfriend"Even the Hiroshima bomb was 13kt.

I think that was probably the physical weight of the thing.

Nope, that was the yield, Little Boy weighed around 4000Kg (The B-29's max bomb payload was 9000Kg)

sproggy

Purple Tentacle

Do we know if the N Korean bomb is an A-bomb or an H-bomb?

Hypnotoad.

imitationleather

Quote from: "Jim"Bugger. I was planning a trip to North Korea in a couple of years.

The Americans still are...

Frinky

I bet they had wish they had a real bomb, at least then people would care.

Purple Tentacle

I suppose a 'rubbish' nuclear bomb is better if you want to nuke Seoul, or somewhere like that, where you don't want the fallout infecting your own country, or even worse, China, who could get really pissed off.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

This is what happens when you play too many videogames.

InfiniteFury

hencole

I can't say this develoment bothers me in the slightest. It just smacks of further deseperation from a country that is now completely isolated from the rest of the world, including it's former allies.

Neville Chamberlain

I fear Hencole is right. It'd be just my luck to finally have saved up all that money to get there only to find they've opened themselves up and are letting any old riff-raff in. Bah!

Alberon

North Korea always portrays itself to the world as more irrational than it actually is. most of its interaction with the world the last couple of decades has been simply begging for aid, either with promises to be good, or threats to get violent.

Though there was an article in a Sunday paper about how China is stationing more of its army near the North Korean border just in case the country does disintigrate. Apparently there was a case of several Chinese police or army (can't remember which) being killed in a bank raid by some members of the North Korean army which had crossed the border. I think the same article also suggests that if North Korea does fly apart at the seams then China might annex at least a part of it.

As to the nuclear threat, while they do have a missile that could potentially reach the Western US, it couldn't carry the nuclear bomb they have now.

Actually detonating a nuclear bomb seems another misstep to me, just like the missile test a while back. Rather than getting more aid it'll harden the attitude of foreign nations and they could end up with less. Even China seems very pissed off.

Circusfire

Quote from: "Homer J"I wouldnt worry about it, the furthest they can get is the US West Coast, and the world could benefit from a few less yanks

Oh fuck off you stupid cunt.