Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 02:41:34 PM

Login with username, password and session length

[Vent] Amazon feedback

Started by Mr. Analytical, October 10, 2006, 07:57:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr. Analytical

To all those who have complained about eBay, I say Tut and Pshaw for I have sold old books on Amazon.

Sweet fucking Jesus people are cunts!  

First this woman gives me negative feedback after I wrote her postcode down wrong... the book still got there the day after she ordered it but she still gave me negative feedback.

Second, the bloke orders a book from me and then cancels it.  This means that I have to pay the listing fee and give him a full refund.  I give him the full refund and suggest that he think before committing to buy and the guy leaves me bad feedback for being rude.

Thirdly, I've sold about 50 books on Amazon but all of 8 people have bothered to leave me feedback.  This means that instead of 4% I've got about 24% non-positive feedback.

They should get rid of this farce of a feedback system and essentially give you a clean record up until you stiff someone or someone makes an actual complaint.

On eBay it's fine because most people bother to leave feedback and it all evens out in the end (especially as if there's a problem people bother to contact you before leaving negative feedback) but Amazon's a fucking nightmare.

Beagle 2

I think they should probably take no feedback as good feedback. I've bought second hand books from Amazon before and I've not been in any great hurry  to go and enthuse about how amazing it was buying something that came as it was described for the price it was quoted at.

Mr. Analytical

Quote from: "Beagle 2"I think they should probably take no feedback as good feedback. I've bought second hand books from Amazon before and I've not been in any great hurry  to go and enthuse about how amazing it was buying something that came as it was described for the price it was quoted at.

Exactly.  Amazon's a shop, not a community.  If you don't feel the need to comment on a transaction then it's a sign that the shop did its job correctly.  The fact that buyers massively outweigh sellers screws the whole system.

Labian Quest

I've bought a few second hand things off Amazon and been tempted to leave comments a couple of times, but decided not to in case the seller happens to be a wilDLy UnStabLe Crackhead/rapist...who has my name and address.

Pinball

I bought some stuff from marketplace, and amazon emailed me a reminder to leave comments, so I did. That is all.

TOCMFIC

Quote from: "Labian Quest"I've bought a few second hand things off Amazon and been tempted to leave comments a couple of times, but decided not to in case the seller happens to be a wilDLy UnStabLe Crackhead/rapist...who has my name and address.

HAHA! Funny:)

And there was me hoping this was going to be ranting about the idiot reviewers on there who give five star reviews to stuff that isn't even out yet.

Alberon

I've been selling books and videos on Amazon for a few months and I've not been hit by insane idiots leaving negative feedback for nothing. So far.

The worst I've had is some guy I sold Star Trek videos to pestering me night and day almost straight away demanding to know when they'd arrive. It's not like I'm making money on the videos, most of the time I just break even with the postage. I only do it as I don't want to just throw the videos away.

As to reviews left for items long before they're released - I've seen some people add there own review with a 1 star rating, just to balance things out. Amazon reviews have to viewed dubiously anyway. We all know some authors (or publishers) give their own books glowing reviews.

Mr. Analytical

There's also the fact that they give free stuff and previews to the people who review the most and the quickest.

There's a woman whose name I've forgotten who pumps out about 6 reviews a day and has hundreds to her credit.  Some sci-fi wag calculated that she'd have to live to some ridiculous age to actually read all of these books.

Mister Cairo

I've just bought 11 things, I'm going to have to spend ages leaving feedback. That's if they get there okay, which I doubt.

fat_abbott

I once listed a CD and in the description I put "CD is marked but plays fine".

The feedback I received said "Plays ok, but badly scratched" 2/5

I felt like killing.

lazyhour

Mr. Analytical

Quote from: "fat_abbott"
I felt like killing.

Exactly.  If I was running a business then obviously it would be right for me to apologise and try and get them to remove the comment.  But I'm trying to clear out my old bedroom at my mum's place and could really easily live without the stupidity.

I write personalised messages notifying people when I'm sending things off, which is usually the day after the order comes in, I invariably send things first class and I currently have a 77% feedback rating for my troubles.

Meanwhile, the big shops take like 2 weeks to send you anything and they have 99% approval ratings.  It's absolute lunacy.

lazyhour

Since when does "marked" mean "scratched" (if that is what it means)?  I certainly wouldn't expect your average buyer to know that!

hencole

99% of people would realise marked means scratched when refering to a CD. Maybe not given Mr Analyticals examples.

lazyhour

I am the other 1%, huzzah!

I like being special.

Edit: I really wouldn't think it meant "scratched".  My reaction would be to wonder what the fuck 'marked' is supposed to mean.  Because the seller didn't say 'scratched' or 'scuffed', I would probably assume that they must mean there are 'marks' (permanent pen marks or unexplainable marks of some kind) on the CD surface.

Is there no-one else in my 1% minority?  I'm stunned!  And I've been buying and selling CDs on eBay for almost a year!  Crikey etc.

fat_abbott

To be honest it might have said scratched or scuffed.

The point was I got a 2/5 rating. Usually reserved for "Sent a piece of toast instead of cd" or "Seller came and pissed through my letterbox".

SOTS

eBay is becoming pretty annoying at the moment as well.

One item came last Saturday, pair of shoes which i'd been waiting three weeks for and was on the verge of leaving negative feedback But then, they eventually came! But unfortunately rather than being the proper ones, they were cheap knock-offs and I had to leave negative feedback anyway. And another two of my items (one of them I bought over a month ago) are somewhere in the back of a pair of courier vans,  both unable to find my house.

The whole feedback thing is becoming pretty pointless anyway. Every single one is just "Great eBayer." or something similar. The only time it becomes slightly useful is when you have to leave negative. But even then, you post your negative feedback and the person can post a response underneath (normally lies) saying that you're lying or exaggerating.

For example: The person I left negative feedback for in regard the shoes. They were supposed to be Converse shoes, by the way.
"Eventually came but not as described. These are not Converse, they are New Look!
Reply by rebeccat8967: i stated these were converse style. this guy is a pest !!!! "

She only wrote that because I sent her a message before I left negative feedback (like you're supposed to) as to why i'm leaving negative feedback. I explained that I wouldn't have a case if she had just stated that they were Converse style, or similar to the real thing. I wish I could reply back! I think it's shit that even when you leave negative feedback, it's still you that ends up looking like a twat.

Sorry for venting all that in here. Perhaps we need a whole thread for eBay frustrations. Is there one already?

Mr. Analytical

I seem to remember that there was one yeah.

eBay gets on my tits because sellers typically hold off on giving you feedback until you leave feedback for them.  I've reached the point where I can happily take negative feedback or not even bother to give feedback at all as a buyer but it's not true of everyone.

When you're a seller, the part of the seller's behaviour that requires feedback ends when they pay you.  That's when you give them feedback.

I still think the place is more rational than than Amazon though.  At least people on eBay understand that you're not a shop.

lazyhour

See, I disagree.  I always wait for the buyer to leave feedback first, because gawd knows buyers will try it on.  I look at it this way: I know that I'm trustworthy, but I don't know if the buyer is, so I force them to go first, to 'show their hand' as it were.  That may sound stupid, but it makes perfect sense to me.

Forcing the buyer to go first is also a great way to make sure that the buyer got the item okay.

I can see your point, though, and there are cunt sellers as well as cunt buyers - I just know that I'm not one, so I prefer to do it in this order.

Mister Cairo

Often it's really hard to know what to write!

Most of the time I just put "delivered promtly" and rate them 5/5