Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 24, 2024, 12:28:21 AM

Login with username, password and session length

The All New Wrestling Pay Window

Started by TOCMFIC, October 10, 2006, 07:59:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TOCMFIC

Figured I'd start a new one given the other was unceremoniously killed.

So Regal/Benoit sounds like Benoit had very little ring rust to clear away.

As for Regal's cock, I believe you could see it during one skit at the PPV. Not sure. Can't say I'm going to try and track it down to see either:)

TOCMFIC

Okay, the title was "'rasslin pay windah", but one of the Gestapo must have changed it. Lamers.

Interestingly, wind-ah, minus the hyphen, now shows up as window.

This site is turning into DVDR, only without the interesting content.

Still Not George

In all fairness, the title of the old thread produced a sensation not entirely unlike being kicked in the eyeballs by a jackbooted nun.

Kazuo Kiriyama

Quote from: "TOCMFIC"Okay, the title was "'rasslin pay window", but one of the Gestapo must have changed it. Lamers.

Interestingly, wind-ah, minus the hyphen, now shows up as window.

This site is turning into DVDR, only without the interesting content.

And without the HEADS~! ON~! STAKES~1

Fair dos though, their MMA forum is great.

Ciarán2

Okay, I give in. What is a "wrestling pay window"?

Identity Crisis Ahoy!

Quote from: "Still Not George"In all fairness, the title of the old thread produced a sensation not entirely unlike being kicked in the eyeballs by a jackbooted nun.

DUDE!

Never has one thread title created so much vitriol.

Anyway, I enjoyed the way the last thread ended, someone asking for a pic of Regal-cock. Nice.

Identity Crisis Ahoy!

Quote from: "Ciarán"Okay, I give in. What is a "wrestling pay window"?

Hairy McGuigan's finisher move, from the 1980s.

Mr. Analytical

Why is it the pay window?  Do they get paid as part of some drive-thru procedure?

Brutus Beefcake

Kazuo Kiriyama

Quote from: "Brutus Beefcake"No, wrestlers hate McDonalds.

Sometimes they really hate Dairy Queen.

chav

I honestly thought that it was something to do with a time period within which you can pay for a PPV event.

Frinky

Quote from: "TOCMFIC"Okay, the title was "'rasslin pay window", but one of the Gestapo must have changed it. Lamers. Interestingly, wind-ah, minus the hyphen, now shows up as window. This site is turning into DVDR, only without the interesting content.

Yes, excuse them for quality control.

Identity Crisis Ahoy!

What the fuck does it matter to you?

Mr. Analytical

Quote from: "Identity Crisis Ahoy!"What the fuck does it matter to you?

Seeing it on the front page is a constant reminder or the stupidity of some humans... MOTHER!

Frinky

Becuase it amuses me somewhat that the only posts of TOCMFIC's that spring to mind of late are posts in CC saying "my wife liked it and that's all that matters", which is problematic for the board on, well, so many levels, and another for telling us that we were all dim little sheep for not believing a frankly ludicrous 9/11 conspiracy - yet the locking of a huuuuge months old wrestling thread is somehow indicative of the board sucking so bad.

Why do you ask?

Identity Crisis Ahoy!

Quote from: "Mr. Analytical"

Seeing it on the front page is a constant reminder or the stupidity of some humans... MOTHER!

No idea what you're on about here.

gazzyk1ns

I mean... look, no offence ICA! and TOCMFIC, but as I think Neil said earlier, it's only a few of you who are wanting to talk about WWE enthusiactically, and on  most days. The same can't be said of the generic gaming or football threads, for example (and please don't think I'm trying to defend threads I post in, I don't think I've ever posted in the gaming thread and I very very rarely post to the footy one, I've certainly not done so for about half a year). The Motorsport thread is another example, even if there are only a similar amount of people posting to that then at least it really is pretty much a catch-all thread for any sort of motorised sport or interest in it. I doubt even someone wanting to post about amateur wrestling, or any other kind of "combat", or even any other kind of sports entertainment would chose to add it to a WWE thread. It would surely just be better for you and us if you PMed each other, or started an Email list, or whatever else? It's not like that's inconvenient.

Of course this is only my opinion and all that bollocks, but it obviously pisses a lot of people off to constantly see the wrestling thread hovering around the top of GD. And please don't come back at me with OK, I'll NEVER mention WRESTLING again on here, are you HAPPY!!?" - nobody is suggesting that. For example, Kurt Angle has properly fucked himself up due to over-exertion, hasn't he? Well, a thread about professionals who have ruined themselves due to over-exertion might be interesting, if you told us all the ins and outs of how and why Angle has done it. I know I'd be interested in that, and surely many other people who have little or no interest in WWE would as well, it needn't even be a solely physical thing. And the WWE-related posts in there would  be a) happily tolerated, and b) non-dominant. But as it is, you've got a thread which is posted to almost exclusively by people who are extremely enthusiastic about a soap opera involving choreographed acrobatics with predetermined outcomes. Fine, but... you know, it shouldn't be as prominent as it is on a general discussion forum with 20 threads, minus stickies, as a limit for its front page.

The Duck Man

My wife likes this thread and that's all that matters.

Identity Crisis Ahoy!

Well ok, I take your point, but I figured an all encompassing thread about the subject would fare better than a few every month.

I mean if you're annoyed about seeing one wrestling thread on the front page (and I personally can't understand why, I mean its just a form of entertainment for a few of us, shouldn't offend anyone) how would more than 1 be any better?

Why shouldn't a wrestling thread be prominent if there's enough interest? Like I've said in other threads, there's threads about subjects I wouldn't ever take an interest in, but I don't take offense to them, I certainly don't begrudge them being there. It could even be a positive thing. If people have a problem with wrestling - and are willing to discuss it in a grown-up manner - then why not post in the thread and let us know? I can't see how that would be a bad thing.

I do, as I've said, take your point. I do see the thread revolving around a handfull of posters, but if the posters are passionate enough about the subject to discuss it as frequently as we do, then what does it matter what name is posting the post?

gazzyk1ns

Quote from: "Identity Crisis Ahoy!"

Why shouldn't a wrestling thread be prominent if there's enough interest?

But there isn't enough interest, as far as I can see. Yeah, the thread is always hanging around the front page of GD, but to state a crass example, one person can easily keep a thread at the top of the front page of GD, if allowed. That doesn't mean there's "enough interest".

QuoteIf people have a problem with wrestling - and are willing to discuss it in a grown-up manner - then why not post in the thread and let us know? I can't see how that would be a bad thing.

Well I realise that it was probably a question not solely for me, but I have done that - here. Shame that it's in a "Slag it off!" thread considering we're having a calm debate now, but as you can see it was a good while ago.

Identity Crisis Ahoy!

First point taken.

Second point - well that thread was asking for ridicule, literally. My post wasn't directed solely at you at all, but the fact that if all these people oppose so strongly to the thread* then why not let us know? For such a long thread, other than the a few silly derails, there wasn't any criticism.

*and if there aren't many opposing to the thread, good, lets allow us our thread.

gazzyk1ns

Yeah I wasn't trying to tout the thread as great or anything, I actually thought I posted in a previous pro- (or neutral) WWE thread, but found that it was in there after a search. I think TOCMFIC started one on the previous phpBB board, hence my confusion.

Quote from: "Identity Crisis Ahoy!"
*and if there aren't many opposing to the thread, good, lets allow us our thread.

Yeah, well... I'll stop posting now, because I don't want to be guilty of repeating myself, but again - that thread (biased as it may have been) wasn't floating almost constantly around the front page of GD. Heh, I'm just reading some of it now, I was quite anti-wrestling. I think some of that was because of my disappointment/disillusionment after seeing that great Tajiri/Regal thing at a mate's.

Identity Crisis Ahoy!

That thread was allowed to die I think in favour of a poorly titled spoiler type wrestling thread, which has now been moved.

klaatu!

Quote from: "gazzyk1ns"I mean... look, no offence ICA! and TOCMFIC, but as I think Neil said earlier, it's only a few of you who are wanting to talk about WWE enthusiactically, and on  most days.

I agree somewhat with this. The thread didn't need to be bumped every day merely to post a little tidbit of news or a recap of this week's WWE TV or whatever. If the thread was bumped maybe once a week (or whenever necessary) there would be an opportunity for more proper discussion. And besides, just browsing through the first few pages of the old thread there's at least a dozen or so people who contributed, and presumably many more who lurked there. A weekly or fortnightly bump might generate some good discussions rather than occasional posts of a 'RAW was a bit shitty this week. That is all' nature.

QuoteThe Motorsport thread is another example, even if there are only a similar amount of people posting to that then at least it really is pretty much a catch-all thread for any sort of motorised sport or interest in it. I doubt even someone wanting to post about amateur wrestling, or any other kind of "combat", or even any other kind of sports entertainment would chose to add it to a WWE thread.

This is where I disagree. To be fair, the old thread was far from just about WWE. In fact, I think ICA! and TOCMFIC (the two most regular contributors and most frequent bumpers) talked about non-WWE forms of wrestling more than anything else. There were discussions about TNA, Ring of Honor and other independent promotions, Japan, Mixed Martial Arts / fighting, occasionally a bit of Lucha, and I think we've had discussions about British wrestling (old and new). I think the main problem is to many people the term 'wrestling' simply means 'WWE' (or 'WWF'). It says something about WWE/WWF's extraordinary brand recognition that people associate all forms of 'wrestling' (something which is very widespread and constituted of very diverse forms) with them. Which brings me to...

QuoteFor example, Kurt Angle has properly fucked himself up due to over-exertion, hasn't he? Well, a thread about professionals who have ruined themselves due to over-exertion might be interesting, if you told us all the ins and outs of how and why Angle has done it. I know I'd be interested in that, and surely many other people who have little or no interest in WWE would as well, it needn't even be a solely physical thing. And the WWE-related posts in there would  be a) happily tolerated, and b) non-dominant.

...This. To be honest, the thing that held my interest about the old thread wasn't the discussion of WWE, but of the wrestling industry itself - the deaths, the drug abuse, the corruption, the backstage bullying / 'hazing', Kurt Angle working himself into exhaustion etc. The wrestling industry is a fascinating business, and the people who work in it are either half-crazy or totally insane. In fact, as I grew up and grew out of wrestling, I had no idea that this kind of stuff went on. As I got reacquainted with the old spandex soap opera again (through a friend really - he had Sky, I didn't) there were things that intrigued me about the industry - the way it was scripted, how the matches were constructed/choreographed, the backstage goings-on etc. And back to the point about WWE being synonymous with the term 'wrestling', the business they've set up and the way they market themselves is, to me, fascinating. We had some great discussions about the wrestling industry in the old thread and I'd feel sorry to see those kind of discussions go. It's a selfish reason I suppose. Many wrestling boards are much more conservative than this forum, often incredibly troll-ridden and full of flaming, so it was nice to pop into a Verbwhores wrestling thread for a bit of sanctuary every now and then. Outside of the discussions on here, I don't really visit many other wrestling sites (apart from the Empire~!) so it kept me up to speed with things. I'm sure many other non-posting dwellers did the same thing, so setting up a PM discussion or email list would make it too exclusive.

So, anyway, let's keep the wrestling chat going, but just cut banal one-sentence posts. It's a very unpredictable business, so there's bound to be a big discussion lurking around the corner. And if some of these wider discussions could be opened up to appeal to more 'Whores then that'd be great. I think many people see the word 'wrestling' (or indeed 'rasslin') and are immediately put off. But there are some wider issues that may appeal to other people, as gazzyk1ns noted with the Kurt Angle thing.

variant

Sorry to push the thread back up the board with a very short post, but I'd just like to say that just because only a couple of people are only posting to a thread doesn't mean others aren't reading it and enjoying it. Thankyou.

hencole

If my idea ever gets implemented such arguments would be a thing of the past and we would all live side by side in peace and harmony.

Identity Crisis Ahoy!

I think that's something everyone would tire of... good post jtc.

How about if we agree to 'bump' the thread only when a big piece of news has broken (Angle jumping, Pena dying, Vince having a heart attack...) or if someone has something decent to say - other than a 2 sentence review of last night's TV?

We've also been covering MMA (and the MMA vs Wrestling WAR~!) in the thread, so how about we emcompass that here too. I don't see another MMA thread around, but if people find it too dissimilar to wrestling, obviously they can post their own thread.

Now - SPOILERS~!!!

Ken vs. Tito was last night. Ortiz killed him again, in 2 mins odd, with flying fists. Tito flipped him the bird after the fight, but Ken was trying to babyface himself, and seemed to bury the hatchett with the 'Huntington Beach Bad Boy'. It was a great moment to see them both raising each other's hand - something I didn't expect to see. Something honest about, as opposed to when its done in pro wrestling. Ken also retired, as expected.

On the undercard, his proteges won - Matt Hamill with a decision and Kendall Grove with a stoppage (I think.) The other TUF3 finalist Ed Herman tapped out.

End spoilers~!!

Ja'moke

The other thread wasnt just about WWE though it was about wrestling in general and contained lots of dicussion and news, I dont see why its been closed.

gazzyk1ns

No I give up, I retract my attempts at being a diplomatic nazi because I don't want to be "the man who couldn't bear to ignore a thread on a messageboard".

Yesterday was a MAD day for VWs but now the dust has settled we're all friends again, because I said so.