Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 12:10:51 AM

Login with username, password and session length

The All New Wrestling Pay Window

Started by TOCMFIC, October 10, 2006, 07:59:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gazeuse

Quote from: "Ciarán"Okay, I give in. What is a "wrestling pay window"?

I'd like to know too.

Bring back Jackie Pallo.

Purple Tentacle

The new spelling of the thread no longer brings a little bit of sick up into my mouth, and for that I am grateful.

I think "Pay Window" is wrestling slang for the process of spending hard-earned money on watching men perform a pre-determined piece of theatre, the "window" being the telly, unless you are literally watching men wrestling outside your flat.

Brutus Beefcake

As opposed to non pre-determined theatre?

TOCMFIC

Quote from: "gazzyk1ns"I mean... look, no offence ICA! and TOCMFIC, but as I think Neil said earlier, it's only a few of you who are wanting to talk about WWE enthusiactically

Quite clearly somebody never read the old thread... Unless that's new usage of the word "enthusiastically" I wasn't aware of. Like the hip kids saying something is "bad" when it's good...

I'm done with this board. Seriously, I quit. I'm sure a lot of you will be ecstatic.

There's a few of you I'll really miss. Folk seem to think they have to right to say what we can and can't talk about, and how often we do so. Why not just rename the thread "General Discussion that we approve of." Of all the sites to start indulging in censorship of any kind, this is the last I'd have suspected. Not sure what the fuck has happened to this site. It's no wonder a lot of the old regulars have left.

The earlier thread title, created by ICA, was related to Dusty Rhodes, a legendary wrestler. But apparently because other people didn't understand it, it was changed by ICA to appease those with the "I don't understand, therefore it must die" mentality. Since it was a great title, I used it again for the new thread to answer the question posed at the end of the thread that was closed for no good reason, probably because it wasn't high brow enough or wasn't talking about wrestling in an ironic sense...

As for those making derogatory remarks about me, wow, that's really clever of you. Well done. Using the fact I value my wifes opinion against me. Wow! If there's a level lower than pathetic, you found it my friend, well done!

There you go Gazzy, you can have your precious board back now you hypocritical jackass.

Purple Tentacle

I thought gazzy was being perfectly even-handed and reasonable, while still being honest. I hope other people feel the same.

chav

Quote from: "TOCMFIC"As for those making derogatory remarks about me, wow, that's really clever of you. Well done. Using the fact I value my wifes opinion against me. Wow! If there's a level lower than pathetic, you found it my friend, well done!
Actually I think it was the fact that you shoehorned the wife into 48% of all your posts that grated. Of course you may value your wife's opinion above anyone else's, but don't believe for a minute that anyone cares.

Hold on, he's gone...

InfiniteFury

Quote from: "Purple Tentacle"I thought gazzy was being perfectly even-handed and reasonable, while still being honest. I hope other people feel the same.

That's how I read it as well - I really can understand why TOCMFIC might feel hard done by but I think he might have been a bit selective in his interpretation of gazzy's comments.

imitationleather

Ja'moke

Well I'm not leaving and I still want to talk about wrestling on this forum, but as others have said I'll try not to post pointless news, like my opinion of last nights show or what ever.

There's an interesting video here though of Kurt Angle arriving backstage at TNA and meeting some of the guys, it's quite cool, thought some people might want to check it out http://www.wrestling-edge.com/tnanews.php?subaction=showfull&id=1160431738&archive=&start_from=&ucat=2&;[/img]

Deadman97

Quote from: "TOCMFIC"I'm done with this board. Seriously, I quit. I'm sure a lot of you will be ecstatic.

There's a few of you I'll really miss. Folk seem to think they have to right to say what we can and can't talk about, and how often we do so. Why not just rename the thread "General Discussion that we approve of." Of all the sites to start indulging in censorship of any kind, this is the last I'd have suspected. Not sure what the fuck has happened to this site. It's no wonder a lot of the old regulars have left.

The earlier thread title, created by ICA, was related to Dusty Rhodes, a legendary wrestler. But apparently because other people didn't understand it, it was changed by ICA to appease those with the "I don't understand, therefore it must die" mentality. Since it was a great title, I used it again for the new thread to answer the question posed at the end of the thread that was closed for no good reason, probably because it wasn't high brow enough or wasn't talking about wrestling in an ironic sense...

As for those making derogatory remarks about me, wow, that's really clever of you. Well done. Using the fact I value my wifes opinion against me. Wow! If there's a level lower than pathetic, you found it my friend, well done!

There you go Gazzy, you can have your precious board back now you hypocritical jackass.
AWESOME PROMO~!

The Duck Man

thepuffpastryhangman

QuoteRE: The Water Squirt Flower Pay Windah

The title of the thread, created by my wife, refers to legendary clown Brentford 'wet prank' Littigan. In 1989 Brentford 'wet prank' Littigan approached a group of audience members (I suppose you lot would say they were in on it) and squirted water at them via a fake flower in the lapel of his clown jacket. Brentford then completed the move by stepping on his own feet and falling over, unable to horizontalize (circus speak you won't understand) himself before the count of ten, the referee, Cheltenham 'honest Chelts' Littigan (related only by marriage) received the nod from the promoter Yeovil 'print money' Littigan (related by blood, mere coincidence) to award the bout to Brentford 'wet prank' Littigan the second (Brentford's son, related by marriage, blood and contractual obligation). If anyone still doubts the legitmacy of the sport I suggest they take a look at the faces of those audience members, that's real water on their cheeks. And I can personally testify that Brentford 'wet prank' Littigan's feet reach the very end of his shoes, this aint no Bolshoi burger ballet, it's real water and real pain, real people in real size thirty seven shoes.

TraceyQ

Who made you funny today? Twice I've larfed.

TOCMFIC, come back. Take it on the chin, smile and wave, it's the only way to manage it.

thepuffpastryhangman

Mister Cairo

Quote from: "TOCMFIC"
Quote from: "gazzyk1ns"I mean... look, no offence ICA! and TOCMFIC, but as I think Neil said earlier, it's only a few of you who are wanting to talk about WWE enthusiactically

Quite clearly somebody never read the old thread... Unless that's new usage of the word "enthusiastically" I wasn't aware of. Like the hip kids saying something is "bad" when it's good...

I'm done with this board. Seriously, I quit. I'm sure a lot of you will be ecstatic.

No don't go! I've got something to talk about wrestling related! Wrestling games!

I have no real intrest in wrestling (I prefer boxing as I find watching it pleasureable, though I'm not totally sure why, but last year me and one of my chums picked up WWF Smackdown on the London Road for £3 and loved it. The gameplay wasn't great, but it was pretty funny. Creating your own wrestler meant that you could make some kind of alien-type creature! The types of cliches were great "... is really getting excited tonight" "I've never seen that before!" Some of the announcher's quips verged on lust.

There were a number of moves-we had to learn them as we went along as there was no instruction booklet-and the game never pretended to be anything other than a macho, silly celebration of wrestling. The best thing was beating up the referre, only sadly he didn't show injury. Anyone else enjoy wrestling games (whether you watch wrestling or not?)

Addressing your other points:

*Bringing up people's personal lives happens a lot on this forum, so I wouldn't take it as any particular insult.

*I haven't seen TOCMIFIC mention his wife much, and many other posters (PT for example) mention their wives. I go on and on about my friends and flatmates, and everyone just ignores it or takes it out on their children. So I do think that that criticsm is a bit unfair?

*Wasn't it DevlinC not TOCMIFIC who was talking about the September 11th conspiracy?

*What happened yesterday?

Neil

Alright, look, the main thing I had against the old wrestling thread was that title, to be honest.  I did still want to sweep out the ever-present threads in the hope that some new stuff would blossom, though, that was the number one reason for getting rid of Rasslin' and all the others.  This place really does need a kick in the hole every now and again, and actually, I don't like doing it.  The last time, it gave splattermac the oppurtunity to take his bad day out on me for no good reason at all, and that led to a gradual snow-balling which eventually led to his departure.  Thought I'd point that out for the people who are quick to blame me for everything (e.g. people getting fed up and moving on, what an unfair and bullying thing to say)...I can understand why, I made a rod for my own back by being sweary (poor communication skills making me look overly aggressive), and in the past I'd rather call someone a stupid wanktwat instead of banning them.  Plus, you're very visible when you're "in charge", and therefore become something of a blame magnet - particularly for those who've had a bad day, or are full of PMS/coke-fuelled arrogance.  Again though, there have been times when that's absolutely been my own fault too.  Just watch, though, in a weeks time people will be saying 'it's getting better round here again, isn't it?' just like they did when the Things threads and suchlike were culled. And will the moaners and nazi-callers line up to say 'actually, yeah, the place was getting choked with all thiose shitty old threads wasn''t it?'  Will they bog-roll.  Well anyway, thought I'd put that out there for those who think I'm some despotic leader who sees this as a game of Populous where it's fun to throw down lightning bolts on the helpwess wittle bunny-wunnies.  

So, I did want to shift the furniture around a bit, open the windows, and other tedious house-keeping analogies.  I had hoped we could do without those old faithful threads for a little while at least, so that people would instead come up with some new stuff...and some people have!  I've enjoyed a lot of the new threads immensely, and they're actually getting a chance to flourish.  That TOCMFIC was churlish enough to start a new wrestling thread just 4 hours after the last one was closed, well, I then locked it in a fit of pique as I thought he was't even trying.  Then I quickly unlocked it and thought, fair enough, I can be churlish too...if the board can't go more than a few hours without somewhere to discuss fatso's leaping about in their underpants, I'll rename the bloody thing to something that doesn't offend the living shit out of my eyes.  I'd wanted to do that with the last wrestling thread since it began, but resisted.  Now, it's unfair and dull to go on about nazis and stuff unironically, but, yes, vaguely understandable.  However, bit of a mountain out of a molehill, no?  You may say the same about the thread title, but a lot of people obviously found it objectionable.  And it's not a new thing anyway, you know.  There are currently 18 filters in place for that deliberate mispelling of "the" :-)  I find that little cat and mouse game quite amusing, actually.  Is it worth quitting the board and stropping off in a huff?  Probably not.  I try and be as free speech as I possibly can, but learnt very early on that being totally hands off will give little turds the chance to ruin the whole thing.  That's why I originally had to move to a UBB board instead of using hosted ones, someone was killing the whole community by posing as other posters, flooding the place etc, and I needed to be able to have a bit more control of things.

Like I say, I feel kind of responsible for way this thread has gone, although yes, gaz was being very reasonable, and there was a bit of dialogue going about this thread.  What's wrong with that?  Frinky made an important point here, really, with regard to TOCMFIC's wife, although it may not look like that on the surface.  Look:

Quote from: "In the IT Crowd thread, [url=http://chilled.cream.org/forums/viewtopic.php?p=445874#445874TOCMFIC[/url]"]Not about to indulge in anally retentive analysis and say "Oh it's not as funny as this" or "it needs that". It's 25 minutes a comedy that's funnier than pretty much everything on TV over here.

I loved the show. Every episode. Some were funnier than others, but that's always the way. More importantly for me, my wife liked it. We have vastly different tastes in comedy usually. The fact both her and I really liked it shows they're most definitely doing it right.

You don't find it funny? Then don't fucking watch it and quit bitching.

Compare and contrast with what he's said in this thread...  

"Folk seem to think they have to right to say what we can and can't talk about, and how often we do so."

Well, that largely seems to be what you were doing in that CC thread, TOCMFIC, so there's a double standard there, isn't there?  You're the one arguing for a lack of censorship...well, that means people have the right to say 'I hate wrestling', but you also have the right to say 'go and piss up a rope' and ignore them.  Noone was actually attacking your wife, but I can understand why you'd be pissed off at her inclusion here.  

Also, I pm'd "Identity Crisis Ahoy!" yesterday and told him not to worry about stepping on other's toes with regards the frequency of wrestling chat.  Yes, some of us (including me) dislike wrestling, but people should be able to talk about their interests.  Perhaps he was too busy editing his location field to point that out here, which is a shame.

EDIT:  VVV Ja'moke, pretty reductive and point-missing post, to be honest.  It was first and foremost for those reasons, as I said - I wanted to get rid of some of the ever-present threads for a while to give fresh new stuff a chance.  I did think the wrestling thread would come back, but hoped it would have a less horrible title than "Tha Rasslin' Pay Windah!"  As for asking him to change it, I know that some folks had considered it, and then felt it would be a waste of time due to this exchange

EDIT: Just to point out, the thread was closed because I was trying to stimulate new discussions, I had no doubt it would return in a new form, although hoped for a less obnoxious title, rather than a more obnoxious tilde-laden one.  I've hardly gassed some jews.

Brad

This one should go in the 'Obvious things that you've only just realised (Vol. 2)' thread. I've only just found out that Jean Claude Van Damm and Rob Van Damme aren't actually related. I thought they were brothers.

My Giddy Aunt

Well. Could we not just call this 'The Wrestling Thread'  and hope that it buggers off and rarely raises its head? I too found the old title irrationally anger-inducing and its still bugging me!

What exactly was it about the Rasslin' Pay Windah (shudder) that drove you mad? I personally hated it in a very ignorant way for one, I didn't understand it and just like anything else I don't understand I hated it instantly (which is in itself completely understandable). Second of all, I couldn't bear the accent and voice that the spelling evoked in my head, repeatedly sticking its stupid spandex waxed chin into my brain twenty times a day, like some Texas gonad 'roided into oblivion - 'should I just give up VW?' I pondered. It's similar to the guy whose name is a palindrome of dots and brackets and the letters 'm' and 'w'. I hate that guy to death even though his posts are informative and entertaining much of the time. I generally can't bear bad spelling so that 'windah' was giving me such a nausea-mixed-with-rage-induced soft-on that I would often open up the thread and write such a despicable stream of pointless bile and then just never hit submit because I thought I'd try to live and let die. Look at me now, you know...'wrestling' (!) eh lads? I guess I hate myself for not having strong enough convictions to rush in earlier to try to spoil somebody else's harmless discussion.

Neville Chamberlain

I'm just baffled that a thread about wrestling for fucks sake became so mind-bogglingly long. It's like a thread about crown green bowls growing to over 500 pages long. Weirdly incongruous in a place like this.

Identity Crisis Ahoy!

Wrestling's always changing, there's always something new to discuss and the backstage shennanigans are ALWAYS interesting - much moreso than in-ring shennanigans... This threads gone a little bit crazy.

I didn't realize a thread title could cause so much hassle, but wow, there you go. If you didn't like it THAT much, why not PM me and let me know? I'm a level minded guy, and if you hated it so much I'd have probably edited it. I did once before.

Sad to see TOCMFIC go obviously as I enjoyed his posts here.

Neil, yeah, sorry. I was going to reply to the PM but didn't manage to get round to it. I did appreciate it though, thanks.

Ignorant scum!

Seriously Jim, have you ever even watched a wrestle? It's the opposite of bowls for fuck's sake. None of your dreary unpredictablility, you know there's going to be an awesome result!

gazzyk1ns

All right, all right... TOCMFIC aside, I really shouldn't have posted in this thread, seeing what arguments it's caused.

I know you're probably only having a jokey little dig by mentioning wrestling in the Neighbours thread and all that but if it wasn't clear, I was just trying to build a sort of semi-Nazi like bridge and point out why so many people were offended, to whatever degree, by the wrestling thread. I thought it needed doing, because a lot of pro-wrestling thread people seemed to think it was just because "You don't like wrestling.". Well, even though I don't like wrestling, that was not the case for me, as I felt the need to explain.

But you're not allowed to have an opinion on wrestling because you don't even like wrestling!

By the way, I only just remembered my username might suggest that I'm a fan of wrestling - for the record, I hate it.

Identity Crisis Ahoy!

There's a Neighbours thread? Brilliant~!

Don't knock it until you've read all three pages Identity Crisis Ahoy! (if that even is your real name..).

And anyway, it's a SATIRE of your STUPID thread, so THERE!

[licks fingertip, holds it up to the wind, goes 'tsssss' and something inside me dies with shame]

Identity Crisis Ahoy!

I'm sure Tockmerfick will be back once the PM'd pleas for his return start to roll in around tea-time (incidentally around the same time you can watch BBC1's new Australian import 'Neighbours').

In short...as you were, Major Cockage. I'll never darken your door again.

Ja'moke

This forum gets funnier yet stranger everyday, I thought the reason the other thread was closed and removed was because it was an old thread that had gone on for too long so must have been taking up bandwith or something along those internet related lines...

Then I realised that wasn't the reason, so I thought it must be because people don't like the fact that millions of people world wide are wrestling fans, that it is one of the programmes that gets the highest ratings on Sky Sports (a few years ago it was the number 1 rated show on Sky Sports) and the fact that some of those wrestling fans are discussing the ins and outs of the wrestling business on a General Discussion forum seemed ludicrous to them, I thought it was because the powers that be on this forum didn't like wrestling because it is 'predetermined' and 'scripted' unlike other entertainment programmes that are discussed on this forum like Lost, Star Trek, Robin Hood, Battlestar Gallactica etc all of which are real and unscripted television programmes so therefore can be discussed...

But no not only was it for that above reason according to some but the main reason was because people, yes actual human mostly adult people got annoyed by words on a page, those words being the title of the thread, so instead of asking it to be changed or just ignoring it like most sane people would do they decided to close the thread altogether, hmm what a strange way to conduct things.