Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 10:22:35 AM

Login with username, password and session length

The All New Wrestling Pay Window

Started by TOCMFIC, October 10, 2006, 07:59:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JesusAndYourBush

Thanks everyone for the laughs this threads given me.  I never once ventured into the old thread.  Probably because I don't like wrestling.  I also felt a slight tinge of nausea whenever I saw the thread title.  I think it was the words rasslin' and windah, although the latter word will probably be corrected by the word filter.  Whenever I saw the title it always conjured up the image of a spandexed wrestler shouting the title of the thread at me.  Not good!

Neil, I'm intrigued about the 18 filters just for misspellings of the word the.  I can't think of that many.

There was one other thread who's name irritated me greatly, but I won't mention it or some git will probably bump it and it'll be there to irritate the fuck out of me again!

TOCMFIC, you don't need to leave.  This will all blow over in a few days.  Talk about what you like, people don't have to read the thread do they?

butnut

Quote from: "JesusAndYourBush"Neil, I'm intrigued about the 18 filters just for misspellings of the word the.  I can't think of that many.

I was thinking of starting a thread to see if we could find them all. I wonder Neil included all forms of capital letters in there?

JesusAndYourBush

You can test it by pressing the preview button rather than posting.
Assuming it's case sensitive I've found 12 so far.
8 using the usual misspelling using all combinations of upper and lower case, and another 4 using the number 3 for the letter e.

Oscar

What are they then?
Unless butnut wants to start the thread and give everyone a chance.

JesusAndYourBush

Quote from: "gnatt"What are they then?
I already said what they were.  There's no use actually typing them as you'll just see the word the 12 times.

Purple Tentacle

Quote from: "JesusAndYourBush"There was one other thread who's name irritated me greatly, but I won't mention it or some git will probably bump it and it'll be there to irritate the fuck out of me again!

JesusAndYourBush: Should he be driven from the board with sticks?

Brutus Beefcake

If Big fucking Brother can get a thread why not wrestling?  Hell Big Brother 7 ended ages ago and the thread still gets bumped.

Oscar

The Big Brother thread has gone the same way as Wrassling, we can only point and laugh at them now.

Carlos Tevez

To the people moaning about a thred title: sort your lives out.

I think the rasslin thread should be turned into a big fight thread encompassing boxing and pride et al.

All other fight talk on the net is a bit sweaty meathead so it could be good.

imitationleather

Yeah, that sounds good. Lately I've been enjoying the boxing on ITV whenever it's been on. Errr... Not sure what I'd say in a thread about it, though (not that that's stopped me with various other topics)!

"OOOOH, he twatted him with his powerful fist!"

Purple Tentacle

Quote from: "Sef"To the people moaning about a thred title: sort your lives out.

That also sounds like something a sweaty oafish man in trunks would shout.

Brutus Beefcake

That would be the shittest wrestling taunt ever.

Carlos Tevez

Your guys know what I do. You know what I do. I put people in body bags when I'm right. So you know what's gonna happen. And I know your guys don't think you can beat me. I know you don't think that.

Deadman97

Someone change the title- Cut a Killer Promo Here~!

Joy Nktonga

Quote from: "Sef"I think the... thread should be turned into a big fight thread encompassing boxing and pride et al.

I didn't realise that the gay march was renowned for its violence.

While I'm here, what's with the tildes being bandied about willy-nilly~?

Custard

Well, I'm a pretty big wrestling fan, and find the closing of the original thread pretty ridiculous. If people enjoy discussing something, why stop them? I've read Neil's reasoning, but I can't say I see the logic in it. Seems a shame really, as I've always found this board very easy-going and light on excessive moderation and this whole thing has soured that opinion somewhat. Gotta admit though, I wasn't a fan of the title either. Really enjoyed the thread, though. Believe it or not, it's pretty hard to find intelligent wrestling discussion online, and the boards that solely cater for wrestling fans are mostly full of kids & gits. This thread (or should I say the original thread) was a lovely antidote to that.

Oh well, hopefully this will all blow over, and TOMNFIC will return and the discussion can continue, as I really did enjoy reading it. And that's ultimately the point of this forum, isn't it? Friendly, interesting, entertaining chat about things that interest us?

Whatever gave you that idea?

My favourite wrestler ever is probably Virgil, Ted Dibiase's black assistant/love-slave/etc. I loved the day he suddenyl woke up to the fact that he was a slave in the 1990s and summoned all of his strength to have a quick fight for the Million Dollar Belt and then pretty soon after disappeared.

Neil

Blimey.  I just PM'd this to Shameless, as that's now two people who seem to be accusing me of closing the previous wrestling thread solely because of its title.  And I'd like to correct that, as it's completely and utterly untrue.  Surely the whole host of other threads that got moved to the Old Posts Home at the same time should have made that clear?  I probably confused my point earlier by trying to be too honest and posting in a rush, actually...all I was trying to say was that not having to look at that obnoxious collection of letters anymore was a nice little bonus.  If I'd hated it that much, I'd have edited it in the same way as I did with this one.  Wouldn't I? Look, here's the PM:

------

QuoteWell, I'm a pretty big wrestling fan, and find the closing of the original thread pretty ridiculous. If people enjoy discussing something, why stop them? I've read Neil's reasoning, but I can't say I see the logic in it. Seems a shame really, as I've always found this board very easy-going and light on excessive moderation and this whole thing has soured that opinion somewhat.

By the fact that there was no wrestling thread for a whole four hours?  As I've said in pretty much every post I've made this week, I wanted to get rid of the ever-present threads for a while, and give some new ones time to flourish.  I've justified this at great length in the "OPH" thread in GD [and also two weeks before I even did it, in this post].  I knew the wrestling thread would be resurrected, but didn't expect it to be so soon, or for it to have an even more hideous title.  It's really not a censorship issue, it's a 'trying to stimulate some fresh discussion in what had become a very stale and turgid forum' issue.

I dunno, both you and Ja'moke seem to be grossly misrepresenting my actual views, which makes me wonder about the point of being honest on here.  Then again, if you think the same of me getting rid of the likes of 'bleak snipptes,' fair enough, we'll agree to disagree.  I certainly don't like to have to be the one giving the forum a kick up the arse every once in a while, but I don't have much choice.

----

Fair enough?  I'd really like to stop posting now, can you please take on board that I'm being honest, and that there really isn't an issue here, and that this whole argument is a tad on the batshit insane side.  Particularly as the wrestling thread is the only one of the culled discussions that has been resurrected.  And in fact, I only posted in here to try and calm things down - as  I felt a tad responsible - but have seemingly only actually succeeded in tripling the amount of people who think I'm a 'Gestapo lamer.'

Ta. *clicks heels together and salutes*

VVV EDIT: Phew, glad that seems to be sorted, thanks, Shameless, no hard feelings eh, confusion on both sides it would seem.  Aye, it's staying, and the old one is archived in the Old Posts Home with another bundle of ever-present threads.    Oh, having just read through TOCMFIC's 'screw you guys, I'm going home' post again, I think he may have also been similarily unaware of the reasons behind the culling of those threads.  Ah well.   Alright, cheers.

Custard

First off, thanks for the PM, Neil. I certainly didn't intend my post above to be seen as a direct attack on yourself, though as said, personally I don't agree with the decision to close that thread. Not that I feel my opinion really matters on here, but I thought I'd mention it anyway as I enjoyed the thread. I didn't write it in an angry or confrontational way, so I'm sorry if that seemed to be the case. I just thought i'd chip in my tuppence as I did enjoy the thread and enjoy wrestling and the conversation it provokes on here.

In all honesty, I didn't notice the fact that several other threads had been closed and moved as I only noticed the new section upon returning to the main page after I'd posted. I haven't really browsed the board much this week so didn't read any of your previous mentions that this was something that was going to be happening, so that obviously puts a different slant on it! I thought it was just the wrestling thread getting that treatment, and as such I didn't feel it was fair.

As said, I just think it was a really interesting, enjoyable thread, regardless of the rotten title, and it's a shame it was closed in my opinion as wrestling is an ongoing, constantly evolving form of escapist entertainment, like loads of things discussed on here, so it would've been nice for it to continue. And as others have said, it wasn't just about the OTT pantomime soap-opera of WWE, but credible, cutting-edge promotions like ROH and many other facets of the business. It's not all men playfighting in their pants, but that's a debate for another day haha!

Just so I understand and there's no more misunderstandings, is this thread staying open or just til this debate tails off?

EDIT - You've answered that question in your edit above. Cheers.

Spiteface

Quote from: "Joy Nktonga"
While I'm here, what's with the tildes being bandied about willy-nilly~?

It was explained in a previous wrestling discussion threads (there were others before the locked one).

Essentially, this:

~!

Means an exclamation mark, only more so.  Exclamation Plus, if you will.

For Example: OH MY GOD~!

I don't know where it comes from, but I believe it originates form a typing error on some Wrestling message board once...

Joy Nktonga

Re what Spiteface said on the previous page: Danke~!

Das ist Nümberwang!

Deadman97

I had no problem with the last thread at all- made the occasional post too, but this

~!

really pissed me off. As did the smug "nyah, not telling you" bullshit response I got off ICA! when I asked what it was all about.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Identity Crisis Ahoy!

What do you mean?

Tilde bang is credited to DEAN~! from Death Valley Driver message board (one of the most pretentious and arseholeish sites on the 'net.) and Bryan Alvarez. Dean used it in his site updates, but the fact is that Alvarez uses the tilde bang as a beacon for his website and makes a lot of money from people subscribing to his daily interviews and weekly newsletter (myself included.)

Identity Crisis Ahoy!

Deadman97

Quote from: "Identity Crisis Ahoy!"What do you mean?
Check page 74 of the old thread- I asked what the tilde was all about, and if you'd written what you wrote above then I'd have had no problem. You responded with something snarky like "trade secrets", which came over as very sniffy and elitist- a tone I thought ran throughout the thread. But anyway, like you said,
Quotefuck it.

Mister Cairo

Marlow said in the Heart of Darkness

QuoteI believe I undertook amongst other things not to disclose any trade secrets

It has been written that Identity Crisis Ahoy will be loyal to the nightmare of his choice.

Identity Crisis Ahoy!

Deadman97

I'm not holding a grudge, at all. Just chipping in on why maybe the original pay windah was a bit of a pain in the arse.

Identity Crisis Ahoy!

Well then I'm sorry, I didn't have to ack the dickhead.

Also, check this piece of hilarious idiocy --

Dave Scherer reports that starting soon the ECW brand will no longer be treated as a seperate company but rather as the 3rd brand of the WWE. Little minor changes such as the women switching from being called Vixens to Divas and the males from Extremists to Superstars will take place. There has also been some discussion about removing the ECW logo from the screen and replacing it with the WWE logo. Alot of this is Kevin Dunn's doing. He thinks the fans are confused and don't realise that ECW is a part of the WWE and he says thats the reason for the low ratings. Also expect the product to be toned down alot. Vince McMahon is not a fan of hardcore wrestling and he hated the RVD vs Test match.