Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 26, 2024, 09:42:54 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Torchwood Series 1

Started by Alberon, October 10, 2006, 10:43:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alberon

Since the old New Doctor Who thread has been killed it's time for a proper thread all of it's own for Torchwood.

From adverts on the sides of buses, even though the BBC hasn't confirmed it yet, the series will be starting on 22nd October on BBC 3. It should have a repeat soon after on BBC 1, both of which will be after 9pm.

Oh, and the trailer is airing now and there are a couple of viral video adverts out there on the web pretending to be snatched camcorder footage of the team temporarily reviving a dead man.

Alberon

Just to add there's a second trailer doing the rounds on the BBC channels. With Gwen lezzing it up among other stuff. (God I sound like such a wanky fanboy).

That's one of an alien snacking on someone's neck, if it isn't clear.

Glebe

From SFX (not linkable):

http://www.sfx.co.uk/news/get_ready_for_a_doctor_who_celebration!

Get ready for a Doctor Who celebration!

The BBC plots a spectacular concert in aid of Children In Need...

[09 Oct 2006 5:42pm]

Since last year's extra Who footage caused a sensation on the Children In Need show, plenty of people have been wondering whether something similar would happen this year.

While it's not yet known whether we'll see a snippet between The Bride (Catherine Tate) and David Tenant's Doctor, the Beeb are certainly planning a small Who-related event to benefit the appeal.

Oh, it's not much - just a gigantic, star-laden concert that will feature the BBC National Orchestra of Wales performing chunks of Murray Gold's themes set to a selection of visuals from the series at Cardiff's Millennium Centre. You might recall that the Centre features in the likes of Dalek and Boom Town, and will be invaded for the night by Daleks, Cyberman and, er, Russell T Davies with a microphone. The show's executive producer will be dragging current Who David Tenant and Murray Gold on stage with him for a Q&A session.

The concert will be recorded by BBC Radio Wales to be aired later and will also be filmed by the Doctor Who Confidential team for a special documentary likely to be timed with the arrival of the second Christmas special. "We are delighted to join forces with the BBC National Orchestra of Wales in aid of BBC Children in Need," Davies blabbed in a press release. "The evening promises to be an audio-visual spectacular. I can't wait to hear Murray Gold's extraordinary scores live on stage." And he really talks like that all the time, you know. No, honestly. He genuinely says things like "The evening promises to be an audio-visual spectacular" out loud.

It all kicks off at 6:30pm on Sunday 19 November. Tickets will cost between £10 and £20, with half price deals for those under 16.  Ticket prices will include a donation to BBC Children in Need and the official programme will also have proceeds going to the BBC Children in Need Appeal. Tickets can be bought and booked directly from the Wales Millennium Centre from 20 October 2006, via their website here or by phoning 08700 40 2000.

Source: Press release

James White

Bert Thung

Torchwood Trailer #1

Torchwood Trailer #2

Camcorder viral thing

Bert Thung

Torchwood Teaser Trailer (Red)

Catalogue Trousers

"With Gwen lezzing it up among other stuff."

Oh, give it a REST, RTD.

lazyhour

Shockingly bad V/O on that second trailer.  Be honest now, who else thinks it looks like it'll be quite bad?

Setting their OWN rules and working ABOVE the law!!!

Santa's Boyfriend

I don't know, I'm quite looking forward to it.  It's written by Russel T Davies, so it should be good.

Catalogue Trousers

Do you know, SB, I still can't figure out whether or not you're being sarcastic there. You little tinker.

My Giddy Aunt

As i fleetingly said on the old who thread. I think it looks like it could be fun. Kind of Spooks meets x-files. I suspect some will feel sick thinking of that but i quite like disengaging the brain for a romp or two during the week!!
I dont like the 'lesing it up' bit as it appears from this context to be a bit of titellation, and thats all.

Purple Tentacle

Obvious thing I only just realised:

Torchwood is an anagram of Doctor Who.

Cuh!

Still Not George

Argh! I cannot believe I never realised that until now!

imitationleather

Wasn't the new series of Doctor Who called Project Torchwood when they were trying to keep it all hush hush? I'm sure I heard some sort of really lame story like that.

Alberon

Quote from: "imitationleather"Wasn't the new series of Doctor Who called Project Torchwood when they were trying to keep it all hush hush? I'm sure I heard some sort of really lame story like that.

It was used during filming the first season so people already knew the show was coming back.

The story goes that they were sending tapes around and someone came up with the idea of labelling them 'Torchwood' to reduce the chances of them being nicked. RTD heard about it and decided to use the name for the spin-off.

Santa's Boyfriend

Quote from: "Catalogue Trousers"Do you know, SB, I still can't figure out whether or not you're being sarcastic there. You little tinker.

No, I'm not being sarcastic!  The new Dr Who is an utter triumph, and has got better and better as it's gone on - and I think it's entirely down to the strength of Davies' writing.  Having watched the truly awful Robin Hood the other day, I feel that way even stronger now as, if anything, Robin Hood is surely an easier story to pull off.  If Davies is doing Torchwood, I say give it a chance.  I'll be the first to rip it to shreds if it's crap.

Jack Shaftoe

Is Moffat involved? If he is, I'll make an effort to watch his, but the few seconds I could stand to watch of those trailers put me right off.

samadriel

Doesn't Murray Gold do the scores on the new DW?  They're a bit rubbish, aren't they?

Bert Thung

PJ Hammond, creator of Sapphire and Steel is writing one of the episodes.

Bert Thung

It's the gore and lesbians trailer folks!

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

Some shots in them trailers look quite cinematic and swish but others look horribly cheap and cheesy. I wish they'd not bothered with Robin Hood and ploughed all the money into this. It could be right good, like short lived Channel4 vampire hunting show Ultraviolet.

imitationleather

Haha. How shit does the alien bloke biting someone and the blood spurting out look? It's like something from Darkplace!

Santa's Boyfriend

They certainly seem to be going for a more adult audience.  Probably no beaver shots, but you can't have everything...

My Giddy Aunt

So site was lauched today: http://www.bbc.co.uk/torchwood/

Per latest DWM:
13 episode run starts 22 October with simultaneous broadcast on BBC1 and BBC3.
Episode 2 will be on BBC3 straight after episode 1.
Episode 3 will be on 29 October on BBC3 and weekly thereafter.
Whole series to be on BBC1 in the new year.

So, hurrah if you like the look of it and you arent way behind the times without your shiny freeview box.

Sheldon Finklestein

Anyone else get the impression that this is going to be RTD's excuse to siphon off all his desire to write sexy, gory stuff that he can't get away with on Doctor Who? If so, fine by me.

Cambrian Times

QuoteIt could be right good, like short lived Channel4 vampire hunting show Ultraviolet.

Which was written and directed by Joe Ahearne.

Bert Thung

Quote from: "Sheldon Finklestein"Anyone else get the impression that this is going to be RTD's excuse to siphon off all his desire to write sexy, gory stuff that he can't get away with on Doctor Who? If so, fine by me.
It isn't going to be, it is. Check the interview with him on the official site.

Marv Orange

Having just seen the trailer, it does look cheap I think the problem is with the lighting every shot looks more or else the same even the the external shots look like they have been shot in a studio with perfect light. They need to make it a bit gritty and a lot less perfect.

Also putting a whole bunch of coloured tubes doesn't make and effective background.

Alberon

There's a competition on the official site, that closes today, for tickets to cinema screenings of the first episode on Wednesday. There are four cinemas taking part in London, Glasgow, Cardiff and Manchester.

DWM seems to have been wrong about screening the episode on BBC 1 on the 22nd October. The current plan, according torchwood.tv (and seemingly confirmed by the Radio Times website) appears to be that the first two episodes are broadcast on BBC 3 on Sunday 22nd, those two are broadcast on BBC 2 the following wednesday. From then on it's one episode a week with the BBC 2 repeat on the Wednesday after the Sunday BBC 3 first showing.

biniput

Talking about sexy lesbionic stuff one of my relatives has been working on it this week and may get more work.  This person (won't even hint of identity)  was convinced by the filming process that the whole thing should be called "Gays in space".  They went on, on the phone to a certain other family member today,  about how the director and others working on it were gay and that the show will start "leaning" toward that sort of thing.  I don't think "THEY" hate gays or anything as i haven't heard them mention the subject ever before but it does hint that the directo may be trying (rightly or wrongly) to be trying to use this  to 'normalise' ?  attitudes to such things. If so (speculation on speculation here) is this the right sort of thing to be going about doing with tv licence cash or any public tv show?

"Gays In Space", eh? Would work, except that Torchwood's entirely set on Earth.