Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 16, 2024, 11:33:00 PM

Login with username, password and session length

The Next Big Thing

Started by european son, March 17, 2004, 04:01:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

european son

how about a thread for the young upstarts which are being leapt upon by the press as being the new Strokes/White Stripes/Razorlight, where we can stick up an mp3 or two and give our grudging respect or critical mauling of said bands. and then we can all argue with each other about it.

to start with.... The Killers

Tracey played their new one on the show last week, and i caught the video monday morning... have a listen if you like

The Killers - Somebody Told Me

now, like i said in the Compendium thread... i quite like this.... the band look (and sound) like a mixture of other folk (Franz Ferdinand, The Music and The Strokes, but definitely enough of their own personality shining through to make it a bit interesting.

the band are from Vegas and have just finished touring round the UK on their own and with Stellastar*. will no doubt be at a few festivals... on the basis of that single i'll probably turn up with open ears.

smoker

scissor sisters new track is quality. also, i haven't heard the new vines one, but i have seen the video, and it's genius

mr rou-rou

ahem*

she gets all her fashion tips from me and my stylist,

and they won't be the next big thing because,
a) the drummers features are all too tightly packed into his face
b) apart from the single 's.t.m' their live performance is average, having seen them

so ner,

however no doubt someone like the NME will champion them to fame and glory

didgeripoo

I should like very much to point you whores in the direction of Gravenhurst. They are a Bristol band (although really it's just this chap Nick Talbot who writes lovely tunes and plays all the instruments on the recordings) who have just signed to Warp. Unusual choice really, cos it's all very Nick Drake-y Simon + Garfunkelish stuff.

Some of it really is appallingly lovely. I went to a gig recently at which Nick Talbot played a solo set cos the rest of the band were ill and it was one of the most moving things I've seen/heard. He was playing stuff off the album he's currently recording I think, but I went and bought Flashlight Seasons the next day (second album) and it really is fabulous. And will be re-released on Warp imminently.

Here is a tune off've the first record Internal Travels which I think is rather nice. It'll give you a bit of an idea of what they're about. I really want to put The Diver up from the second album, but cos they're still relatively little I don't want to cos I'd feel guilty.

The High Seas

mr rou-rou

well I enjoyed their sound, I'll try and remember them for a future release, Gravenhurst isn't really a grab you name is it? It sounds like a posh suburb.

Just to throw two folky guys back at you,

James Yorkston and the Athletes listen here, Sweet Jesus just sounds like a Nick Drake track http://www.jamesyorkston.co.uk/listen.htm

Adem (the bass player from Fridge) his album is called Homesongs

realplayer clip

realplayer clip

obviously the album isn't raw and acoustic, it's more on par with a mellow Arab Strap sound.