Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 08:46:49 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Audio Mong - Watchdog

Started by Lewis, October 12, 2006, 01:04:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lewis

Quote from: "Robot DeNiro, in the revive audio monging thread "I've always thought that Watchdog would make good source material (although I've never put this theory to the test). There is a nasty air of self-righteousness about the show, and more importantly they cover diverse subjects so there will be a large range of words to choose from. Plus it's got Nicky Campbell in it.

It's on BBC1 tonight at 7pm, if anyone fancies capturing the audio (I probably won't be able to do it myself).

I thought this was an excellent idea and so I've captured the audio from this weeks show:

Yousendit link

Rapidshare link

it's 29 minutes long so plenty of audio to get your teeth stuck into. I've encoded it as a 64k mono file but I've got a 128k stereo one too, if you need it.

This isn't intended to be a competition of any kind, just an attempt to revive UYA and audio cut ups in particular, as it seemed like a few of us were up for it. So hey, have a go, especially if you haven't dabbled at cut ups before now.

I'll try and get mine done and uploaded asap but might have to leave it until next week as I'll have very little time to myself this weekend.

Any more shows people want me to rip the audio from? I was going to do Ibiza uncovered too as I think that'll have plenty of good source material to work with. Any ideas?

Sivead

I thought it was monged already, at first.

Marvin

Excellent! I will have a crack or two at something and I hope others do, the source is suffieciently long that hopefully there'll be plenty of different ideas.

If you haven't done audio-monging before, it's easy, have a go, it doesn't need to be perfect quality.

Robot DeNiro

Thanks for doing this Lewis.  I'm going to have to put my mong where my mouth is now, aren't I?  I'll try to get something done over the weekend.  I hope this brings out some first time audio mongers too, Marvin's right, it's easy.

mrpants

Well I lost my audio-mong virginity this lunch break and made this:  http://download.yousendit.com/05D468DF7C548F05.  It's very very basic and a bit shit, but, you know, it's a first attempt.  It's Gervais being investigated by Watchdog (it's that rubbish that I have to tell you what it is, because it's not that clear!).

Technically I found it fairly easy as it's not too different from what I do at work, but creatively it was very hard.  How can you come up with ideas while listening to something like Watchdog?  Do you write down any 'good' words as you listen through to the source, or do you just dive in and see where it takes you?

Jemble Fred

Quote from: "Marvin."If you haven't done audio-monging before, it's easy

Or, on the other hand, it's incredibly involved and bloody tricky and hopelessly addictive, impossible to leave alone once you get started and you end staying up half the fucking night determined to finish the bastard, with about 30 different Audacity files strewn across your desktop and bags under your eyes the size of ripe damsons. It takes hours.

But then again, the average length of my cut-ups is at least 6 minutes, so perhaps I'm a fool to myself.

EDIT: Like the office thing – strange to have cut off the very start though?

Robot DeNiro

Quote from: "mrpants"How can you come up with ideas while listening to something like Watchdog?  
Generally I will listen to the whole source file once, picking out unusual words, or phrases that are spoken in an inherantly funny tone of voice.  These samples get copied into a new file of material, with markers separating each snippet.  Listening to this material file will hopefully provoke an idea for the piece.  After that it's just a case of listening to the source material again and again, searching for the words that will link and make sense of the highlights gathered on the first listen.  The more times I go through the original source file, the better the end result is.  Jemble's previous description of this process is scarily accurate.

I like your Gervais track, it's a good start to the challenge.

hands cold, liver warm

I'll have a bash at this later.

Why I Hate Tables

First monging attempt.

A bit shit, will try again.

Suggestions on how to improve appreciated.

http://rapidshare.de/files/36489235/Watchdog_Edit_1.mp3.html

Jemble Fred

It's not fair to let these things go unmentioned – some nice stuff in there, but most of it was unintelligible to my ears. Far be it from a tool like me to offer advice, but it's crucial to let your cut-ups breath a bit, edit in some space – that one jumped from clip to clip giving you no time to listen properly.

Artemis

That's a long source file. I've just focued on a very brief interview, and came up with this.

I was just experimenting with the possibility of inserting a few censorship bleeps.

Why I Hate Tables

That was great

"I was screaming-the bedroom was full of children and there was an unusual smell"

"I've got my BEEEP in my hand-they're in a mess".