Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 09:11:58 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Never Mind The Guillemots, Here's Misty's Big Adventure

Started by 23 Daves, October 13, 2006, 08:46:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bert Thung

Oh great, a thread about a new band I actually like (and there's been about three since John Lennon was shot).

I emailed that "Fashion Parade" Youtube link to everyone I know under 40 last week. My first attempt ever to start this "genuine word of mouth phenomenom" thing we hear so much about.

Ciarán2

Quote from: "23 Daves"Incidentally, on The Teats MySpace profile did anyone notice that MBA went to the trouble of creating another false profile for someone called Sooze who is supposedly their biggest fan?  She's here:
http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendid=117072897

Someone asked me the other day if I like The Tears. My response was pathetic in hindsight. I said "I haven't really heard them. I like The Dears, though..." As if, by changing a letter I was on safe ground.

So The Teats, sounds like a parody of a 00s indie-band name doesn't it? The Thises, The Thats, The Others (oh hang on...actually)

nuttyxander

As a horrid bump, I must say that I:

A) Hadn't heard of them until you mentioned them.
B) Agree they grab me better than The Guillemots
C) now appear to have grabbed all the albums from emusic and booked a ticket for the gig at the 100 club.

Ta.

The opening set of songs on The Black Hole is outstanding to my ears. Can't get enough of them right now, especially Evil and The Story Of Love.

23 Daves

I'm glad so many people on here enjoyed them.

Who was at the 100 Club gig tonight, then?  I bumped into all sorts of unexpected people whilst I was there.

It was a packed and sweaty occasion which saw me dancing with Erotic Volvo (and not for the first time in my life, though it's always a pleasure) and also showcased a whole load of new material.  Perhaps for that reason I wasn't as energised or bowled over as I have been in the past, but sod it, it's still the best live gig I've been to all year.  The band have a peculiar ability to claim gig venues as their "own", taking them over with silly drawings, placards, daft dancing, etc, which just gives the whole night a much greater sense of occasion.

Have to go to bed, really, but still... marvellous stuff.

imitationleather

Gah, I would have so loved to go tonight but I was at Mystery Jets instead.

I've been playing The Solar Hi-Fi System a lot during the last few days. I reckon that it's a really, really exceptional album. I do like Fashion Parade, although I think the song loses it slightly towards the end. That album though is packed full of so much classic pop it's unbelievable.

I hope they play in London again soon....

Marvin

I couldn't go tonight for various reasons which I'm gutted about, was gonna pop over to Swindon tomorrow instead but I think that's cancelled.

I'm determined to catch them on this tour though, maybe in Brighton.

Been listening to them a lot this week though, current favourite song being She Fills the Spaces.

nuttyxander

I went, and had a marvellous time.

Bit miffed I missed most of the first support act, they seemed much better than the guys on just before Misty's. There were some really great live renditions and the sense of fun of the whole thing was great - right up there with when I saw They Might Be Giants many years ago, but (at least it felt) much more organic and less rehearsed.

Now considering just how to make a t-shirt in the shape of a glove with a series of filled t-shirts hanging off it...

23 Daves

Quote from: "nuttyxander"
Bit miffed I missed most of the first support act, they seemed much better than the guys on just before Misty's...

Hmmm.  It sounds like you turned up at just the right time, actually, as my friend and I both agreed that it took them quite some time to get in the swing of things.  The last few songs they did were perfectly good, but prior to that it was all a wee bit too shambolic.

The guys on before Misty's were hilariously Hoxtonite.  They even had a man-with-beard-shaking-maracas onstage whilst closing his eyes in a "dreamy" way, along with a lead singer with Elton John glasses and a cloth cap singing in an overblown manner.  "Power ballads are great!" he yelled to a largely unimpressed audience.  You may or may not have noticed, but whilst they were onstage Lloyd (Misty's Big Adventure's artist and designer) kept holding aloft the "END THE BLAND AGE!" placard.  Rather cheeky that, I thought.

But yes, I've witnessed mismatched support acts before, but never one that so blatantly seemed to be everything the headline band have declared themselves to be set against.

imitationleather

How was the electrics at the 100 Club? I went there last night and the power kept fucking up, meaning it turned into a very shambolic drum and saxophone jam session.

If I'd paid to go I would have been pissed off.

23 Daves

Quote from: "imitationleather"How was the electrics at the 100 Club? I went there last night and the power kept fucking up, meaning it turned into a very shambolic drum and saxophone jam session.

If I'd paid to go I would have been pissed off.

It was fine when I was there.

The only thing that annoyed me was the huge great sod-off pillars in the middle of the dancefloor, which mean you can't really see all of the band from any vantage point.

smufflebob

Hey Daves, great to see you again on tuesday night.

Misty's were great, the kind of high energy madness i'd expected.

My girlfriend managed to mix up the lyrics from 'Story of Love' with 'Upon Westminster Bridge' by HMHB, so she wondered why Gareth wasn't singing 'And each day I've been wondering/ Just what I am to do/ I've only got 3 bullets/ and theres 4 of Motley Crew'

23 Daves

Quote from: "smufflebob"Hey Daves, great to see you again on tuesday night.

Yes, sorry for my confused countenance - I kept on bumping into people throughout the evening that I hadn't seen in ages, and I had no idea a lot of them were going to be there.  And you were also the second person to yell "23 Daves!" at me in less than a week, which rest assured isn't usual...

I was going to message you.  Sorry for going back to my friend, but he was left holding my beer wondering where I was.  You should have joined me in the "throng" as it were.

boki

Quote from: "smufflebob"My girlfriend managed to mix up the lyrics from 'Story of Love' with 'Upon Westminster Bridge' by HMHB, so she wondered why Gareth wasn't singing 'And each day I've been wondering/ Just what I am to do/ I've only got 3 bullets/ and theres 4 of Motley Crew'

Pfft, if HMHB knew anything about Motley Crue, they'd know that Mick Mars has been a zombie for some time now and won't actually technically die as much as he'll just finish decomposing.  Ironically, he'd probably welcome the bullet the most, whilst being the least deserving.  Besides, if Vince is back on the wine and burgers, it'll take three bullets just to off him...

I would've seen MBA last night in Leicester but for family commitments (that's just a weighty-sounding way of saying my dad's last chance to go down the snooker club for a good few months), so I don't want to hear how good they were, ok.  I'm not listenting. Lalalalalalala.

CaledonianGonzo

I'm also now duly converted.  Didn't realise the Jeffrey Lewis connection, either.  Tickets for their double-header gig at the Bongo Club now duly booked....

23 Daves

Just a quick *bump* in the night to say that the single is officially released on MP3 and 7 inch today.

Whist it may be wrong of me to say so, I think it would be great if this did work its way into the official charts with a little help from their Internet friends and fans - not least because of the stink the subject matter would cause.

At present, XFM haven't playlisted it (they're "confused" by the band and don't know what to do with them, apparently) and it's only had the odd bit of late-night airplay from them and Radio One.  People voting with their feet may be the only hope they have.

Marvin

Aye, I'd love this single to do well. Anyone who's enjoyed the video in this thread should really give them a couple of quid for the MP3 single, it's worth it.

jimmy jazz

I saw MBA last night at Unit 22 and it was absolutely fantastic. You just have to dance, don't you? I was right at the front and was surrounded by equally mental dancers. I'm going to get a t shirt, I think, and I bought the albums 2 o clock this morning when I got in. Brilliant, next time they're on the south coast I'll be there.

Marvin

I'm gonna pop up to Birmingham for their home gig next week, can't wait.

Marvin

There's a free gig at Fopp on Tottenham Court Road on Thursday for any London whores interested. I've been assured they're playing a proper set and there will be a bar in the shop apparently. They're on about 8ish.

smufflebob

I went to the FOPP gig last night. They have a cool little bar/cafe in the basement, for in-store gigs... or just hanging out.  Rob da Bank was DJing and Misty's came on around 8. From what I can remember they played the same set as at the 100 Club, which I assume has stayed the same for the whole tour.

I really enjoyed the gig. The new songs still sound great (especially 'two brains' and 'I can't turn the time back'), I can't wait for a new album... whenever it comes out. It was nice to be able to see the whole band all the time, rather than having them obscured by the huge concrete posts at the 100 Club, and Gareth seemed to be really enjoying himself, although that may be because it was the last gig of the tour. Erotic Volvo was in his element in such a small venue, I think me managed to dance with/molest almost every person there.

Marvin

I went along as well, wasn't sure what  to expect because in-store gigs can be awful but they do have a nice little bar area there and Misty's played a full set and were amazing. I can't overstate just how continually impressed I am by them - they were one of the most exciting live bands I've seen in a long time. They manage to walk the line of being almost pretentious and actually end up being one of the most unpretentious 'fun' gigs you can go to.

I like the idea of a band that look so much like they've just walked in off the street, also having a dancing man dressed in purple hands.

23 Daves - thanks a million for introducing me to them, it's been a long time since I've had that experience of instantly falling in love with a band and becoming a huge fan. Their albums have quickly taken a much-loved place in my listening habits.

They're never going to have mainstream sucess, partly out of choice it seems, but it does suprise me they don't have a much bigger cult following yet. They're incredible.

Marvin

Forgot to say earlier how refreshing it is to have a current British band who know how to use brass, it adds so much to their sound and it's great, especially to have a British band not just using brass for knock-off ska.

As I said before, they should have more of a cult following by now, if you like Julian Cope, Joe Meek, XTC, They Might Be Giants, Divine Comedy, Flaming Lips, Elephant 6 bands, 60's pop, hell their lyrics even recall Vivian Stanshall at times to my ears, check them out, you'd be a cold-hearted person to regret it.

Marvin

23 Daves

Quote from: "Marvin."23 Daves - thanks a million for introducing me to them, it's been a long time since I've had that experience of instantly falling in love with a band and becoming a huge fan. Their albums have quickly taken a much-loved place in my listening habits.

No problem!  More people should be aware of them so far as I'm concerned, but nobody in the mainstream media seems willing to give them the space.  They'll give coverage to American cultish acts like Cat Power or The Magnetic Fields, but not homegrown bands like Misty's.  It's very odd.

QuoteThey're never going to have mainstream sucess, partly out of choice it seems.

I don't know about that.  I do know that Grandmaster Gareth was upset about the lack of airplay for "Fashion Parade", and to my mind enough of their material is poppy enough to slip through the net (although that's perhaps just my opinion).  I don't think "The Story of Love" is a million miles away from numerous playlisted Divine Comedy tracks, for example.  The mainstream at the moment is probably much more of a closed shop than it used to be, though, and that complicates things for everyone.

Marvin

You are right about The Story of Love, listened to that today and puzzled as to why that never got championed as a potential hit when it was released.

Darrell

If folks are interested, Misty's Big Adventure have recorded a new song for the DVD release of The Dave Gorman Collection, where its music video will be presented in full.

Marvin

As a Valentine's gift, Misty's Big Adventure are giving away The Story of Love to download for free on their Myspace.

http://www.myspace.com/mistysbigadventure

go get it.

Ben Ordinary

Just heard an insgtrumental version of "Fashion Parade" on an advert for BBC Four's forthcoming Victorian Season. Seemed hugely incongrous but bloody lovely to hear anyway. its fair brightened up my Sunday...

Marvin

Ha, yeah that took me a bit by suprise the other day!

I had the wonderful pleasure of seeing Misty's twice in the same week the week before last, one 90 minute-set in Birmingham and a shorter one at a nightclub in London and they were just incredible, getting better if anything and the new material sounded really promising. There is very little in life as enjoyable as a Misty's Big Adventure gig.

dr beat

Would love to see these live - just wondering if they will be playing in the North East anytime soon.

Anyone know?