Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 11:07:25 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Never Mind The Guillemots, Here's Misty's Big Adventure

Started by 23 Daves, October 13, 2006, 08:46:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Marvin

Went to see them in Kings Heath on Monday, truly excellent as always, with lovely support band Kate Goes.

I've been to see them four times this year, and every time I've taken someone completely new to them and they've been instant converts. They are something truly special, Grandmaster Gareth and the twins are just effortlessly good (and in the case of Hannah, effortlessly attractive, but that's another point altogether).

Anyway, their new album is finally coming soon! To be released in August, Funny Times has this tracklisting:

1. Funny Times
2. My Home No Longer Is My Home
3. I Can't Bring The Time Back
4. Keep Moving
5. How Did You Manage To Get Inside My Head?
6. Sitting On Your Doorstep
7. Everything Goes Wrong
8. Home Made War
9. We Do Do We We Do
10. Serious Thing
11. The Long Conveyor Belt

The thing that stood out is that I can already sing every line of some of those songs, having heard them only a couple of times live. I really can't wait to have studio versions of We Do Do We We Do and Serious Thing.

Single to preceede - either Serious Thing or I Can't Bring the Time Back and a big national tour in August/September with The Retro Spankees and Kate Goes.

Oh and a new Grandmaster Gareth sounds album is being made too!

Marvin

Bump!

New Misty's Big Adventure single out this week! Serious Thing/I Can't Bring the Time Back double A-side on 7 inch and download, you can also listen to the tracks and a couple of ones from the new album on their myspace: http://www.myspace.com/mistysbigadventure

and most excitingly, massive new tour announced, with more dates to follow:

15 Sep 2007 20:00
Academy 2 Birmingham, Midlands
16 Sep 2007 20:00
END OF THE ROAD FESTIVAL ., Southwest
23 Sep 2007 16:00
European Day Of Languages, Krakow POLAND
10 Oct 2007 20:00
Joiners SOUTHAMPTON
11 Oct 2007 20:00
Metro - postponed tickets valid LONDON
12 Oct 2007 20:00
Audio BRIGHTON
14 Oct 2007 20:00
Clwb Ifor Bach CARDIFF
19 Oct 2007 20:00
Taylor John's House with Jeff Lewis COVENTRY
20 Oct 2007 20:00
Thekla BRISTOL
23 Oct 2007 20:00
Roadhouse MANCHESTER
25 Oct 2007 20:00
Korova LIVERPOOL
26 Oct 2007 20:00
Kolor Bar PRESTON
31 Oct 2007 20:00
Adelphi - Halloween party! HULL
1 Nov 2007 20:00
L.A.W.M LANCASTER
4 Nov 2007 20:00
Waiting Rooms STOCKTON
8 Nov 2007 20:00
Academy 2 with DODGY BIRMINGHAM
9 Nov 2007 20:00
Academy 2 with DODGY MANCHESTER
10 Nov 2007 20:00
Labour Club - Retrotonic night NORTHAMPTON
14 Nov 2007 20:00
Firebug - Club Beaux Yeaux LEICESTER
15 Nov 2007 20:00
Shepherds Bush Empire with DODGY LONDON
16 Nov 2007 20:00
Forum TUNBRIDGE WELLS

sublingual

Allegedly out, but buggered if I can find a download store for the new single.

nuttyxander

It's on emusic.

Love I Can't Bring The Time Back, partly because of the clock shapes Erotic Volvo throws but also because it's a damn good song. Had it stuck in my head after I saw them last year, so it's lovely to finally have a recording.

Roll on the album proper!

23 Daves

Quote from: sublingual on September 13, 2007, 01:35:47 PM
Allegedly out, but buggered if I can find a download store for the new single.

They're putting things out on their own label now, aren't they?  I really hope this isn't the beginning of the end...

Marvin

Quote from: 23 Daves on September 13, 2007, 10:03:43 PM
They're putting things out on their own label now, aren't they?  I really hope this isn't the beginning of the end...

The singles out on Fandango but the album's their own release - it's not the begining of the end though by any means, they're actually planning to release Retro Spankees and Kate Goes material on their label as well as a new Grandmaster Gareth album next spring, and in terms of festival and gig bookings they're getting more requests than ever from what I've heard.

sublingual

Quote from: nuttyxander on September 13, 2007, 09:53:58 PM
It's on emusic.

Ah, thank you. Expected they'd have it in the Club Fandango download shop, but no that would be ridiculous wouldn't it?

The Argus

Just a small bump to ask if anyone is going to see these at Metro tonight?  I caught them at End of the Road Festival and thought they were bloomin' excellent.  Can I just say a big thank you to 23 Daves for posting the initial recommendation as there's a good chance I may not have come across Misty's if it weren't for the original posting.  I haven't fallen in love with a UK band for some time now so it makes a nice change.

Hopefully, they'll be selling their upcoming album at the gig!

23 Daves

I'm out of the country at the moment so didn't get to see them, which is a shame.  Please let me know what it was like, though.

And there's no need to say "Thank you".  I bumped into several Internet people at one recent London gig who were there solely on the basis of my recommendations on one site or another!  I've almost become a one-man viral marketing person for the band.  Not that I'm virally marketing them, of course, I'm just shooting my mouth off to whoever is willing to listen.  If I could just convert Mrs Daves then I'd be on the home straight, but sadly she just finds them quite irritating...

nuttyxander

I went to the Metro gig the other night, was a very good night. A good and varied set, Gareth got out the playlist halfway through and started going off-piste when the rather packed crowd began to shout requests. Black Hole was sadly declined despite the offer of the guy near me to fill in for the missing wind sound. It seemed to me to be a noticeably younger crowd than I've seen at other Misty's gigs. Either that or I'm ageing at a scary rate.

Picked up a copy of Funny Times (And Grumpy Fun and Grumpier Fun as well), which interestingly now has a slightly different order to that quoted above:

1 - Funny Times (3:33)
2 - My Home Is No Longer My Home (3:30)
3 - I Can't Bring The Time Back (3:16)
4 - Home Made War (3:46)
5 - Sitting On Your Doorstep (4:48)
6 - Everything Goes Wrong (3:48)
7 - How Did You Manage To Get Inside My Head? (4:02)
8 - We Do! Do We? We Do! (3:15)
9 - Keep Moving (3:25)
10 -Serious Thing (4:36)
11 -The Long Conveyor Belt (3:52)

And it's very good. They played a song from the next album which they hope to release soon, it was a bit more sparse and quite interesting.

Marvin

I want the album now, just for the recording of We Do, Do We? We Do! which has been in my head for about a year.

The Argus

Yeah was a good gig, although Erotic Volvo seemed a bit more subdued than usual!  They did a really great set at End of the Road Festival too, could see a lot of curious first-timers really taking to the band.  I also picked up a copy of Funny Times: 'I Can't Bring the Time Back' and 'How Did You Manage to Get Inside My Head?' are absolutely brilliant, two of the best new songs I've heard in a while.

sublingual

I went to the Christmas lights switch-on in Birmingham today. Exact line up was as follows:

Misty's Big Adventure
McFly
Leona Lewis
Scouting for Girls
Sugababes.

Massive coup for them to get on the bill. I don't think it was really their target audience, but it was fantastic to see them at such a big event. Erotic Volvo got a lot of appreciation from the crowd, and he seemed to enjoy himself too, despite being restricted to the stage and the pit thing just in front. Grandmaster Gareth also got a lot of mileage out of the phrase 'Coming up next, McFly!', probably the only time he will ever get to say such a thing...

Marvin

Massive bump I know, but it seems fair enough. New album and tour should be of interest to at least two of us.

Grandmaster Gareth has posted a release date, info and tracks from the new televions and library music concept album Television's People and also announced a tour:
QuoteTelevision's People is set to be released on the 4th of October on CD and LP.

It is being released by Grumpy Fun Recordings and SL Records and is our best and most eclectic album yet.

WHY IS THE ALBUM CALLED TELEVISION'S PEOPLE?

"After fifty years, the biggest beneficiaries of commercial television had been the advertisers....changing the material aspirations and assumptions of two generations, and overriding regional and social differences to create much greater conformity. People's television had created television's people."
-"Who Runs This Place?" by Anthony Sampson

IT'S A CONCEPT ALBUM! WHAT'S THE STORY?

The story is about a man who is too upset to leave the house and too wrapped up in his problems to find anything that will take his mind off them. The only thing that can cut through is the television. We follow him though the course of a cooped-up Saturday, from the early morning advert-laden children's programmes up to lunchtime soaps to the weather and rolling news. He begins to become confused as to whether what he is seeing is actually on TV, or is in fact happening in his mind. Until the man in the Claims Direct advert starts asking him personal questions. Enraged he fights back but in doing so gets sucked into the television where he ends up in the Green Room of Television's Centre waiting to appear on an awful game show. We leave him, along with the game show host and other contestants, waving to the camera.

SOME FACTS AND FIGURES

>This is our 4th studio album.
>It was conceived and written in a damp cellar in Birmingham and recorded on the sly in Athlete's Deptford studio. They don't work weekends.
>Musically, it is a mixture of 60's and 70's Library Music like Roger Roger and Nino Nardini, Emil Richard's odd but accessible time signatures, and the usual Misty's influences... Joe Meek, Faust, Raymond Scott, Serge Gainsbourg and Phil Spector.
>It features GRUFF RHYS from Super Furry Animals carrying on the vegetable relay started in the 60's by Brian Wilson and Paul McCartney.

5 tracks from the album can be heard on their myspace:   http://www.myspace.com/mistysbigadventure

it's not as upbeat as a lot of their past stuff although I am liking 'The Rainbow and the Cloud' and 'There is Hope' so far, but I'm looking forward to hearing the whole thing, which is obviously fairly important for a concept album.

Anyway, more excitingly in some ways, is the tour as live is where they really shine:

Quote9 Oct 2008     20:00
   Barden's Boudoir    LONDON
11 Oct 2008    20:00
   Boardwalk    SHEFFIELD
13 Oct 2008    20:00
   Yorkshire House    LANCASTER
18 Oct 2008    20:00
   Churchill Tavern    KENT
11 Nov 2008    19:00
   Warwick Arts Centre - NOSFERATU LIVE SOUNDTRACK    Warwick
13 Nov 2008    20:00
   Cockpit (co-headline tour with Flipron)    LEEDS
14 Nov 2008    20:00
   Academy 2 (co-headline tour with Flipron)    OXFORD
15 Nov 2008    20:00
   Academy 2 (co-headline tour with Flipron)    NEWCASTLE
16 Nov 2008    20:00
   Barfly (co-headline tour with Flipron)    GLASGOW
19 Nov 2008    20:00
   Norwich Arts Centre (co-headline tour with Flipron)    NORWICH
20 Nov 2008    20:00
   The Charlotte (co-headline tour with Flipron)    LEICESTER
22 Nov 2008    20:00
   Academy (co-headline tour with Flipron)    MANCHESTER
23 Nov 2008    20:00
   Bar Academy (co-headline tour with Flipron)    BIRMINGHAM
26 Nov 2008    20:00
   Rescue Rooms (co-headline tour with Flipron)    NOTTINGHAM
27 Nov 2008    20:00
   Fibbers (co-headline tour with Flipron)    YORK
28 Nov 2008    20:00
   Concorde 2 (co-headline tour with Flipron)    BRIGHTON
29 Nov 2008    20:00
   Islington Bar Academy (co-headline tour with Flipron)    LONDON
30 Nov 2008    20:00
   Thekla (co-headline tour with Flipron)    BRISTOL

Also in their photo gallery there's some great stuff from the Fashion Parade video, along with new photos which appear to show the Erotic Volvo out of costume.

AlfRamsey

Woo, yay, etc.

I look forward to Gruff munching vegetables, that's like so RANDOM, dude. Ahem.

Marvin

When I saw SFA at Green Man, Gruff had Richard Thompson help him with the vegetable munching part of Receptacle for the Respectable.

dr beat

Am really looking forward to seeing Mistys in Newcastle on the 15th, more so because I won't have to leave early to get the last train to Durham like I did the last time!

Should be some great gigs, particularly as I've been listening to some of Flipron's stuff on myspace as well, and they're absolutely fantastic as well.