Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
  • Total Members: 17,819
  • Latest: Jeth
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,578,494
  • Total Topics: 106,671
  • Online Today: 1,086
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 20, 2024, 05:48:13 AM

Login with username, password and session length

USA TV: Heroes

Started by Marv Orange, October 17, 2006, 04:38:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Marv Orange

This is a new series airing in America. Its about a bunch of average joes that find out that they have special powers.

Here is the blurb
Heroes is a serial saga about people all over the world discovering that they have superpowers and trying to deal with how this change affects their lives. The relatable superheroes include Peter Petrelli, a 30-year-old male nurse who believes can fly, Diego Medina, a 28-year-old junkie who has the ability to paint images of the future when he is high, Niki Sanders, a 33-year-old Las Vegas showgirl who can do incredible things with mirrors, Hiro Makamura, a 24-year-old Japanese comic-book geek who literally makes time stand still, Matt Parkman, a beat cop who can hears other people's thoughts, and Claire Bennet, 17-year-old cheerleader who defies death at every turn. Not only are they discovering what having superpowers means to them but also the larger picture of where their superpowers come from.

Intially I thought it was gonna turn out to be another Mutant X. I was pretty disapointed with the pilot but I've stuck with it its turning out to be an entertaining series and I recommend it as a alternative to watching Wife Borstal  but not Dragons Den. The script isn't fantastic but the different plots more than make up for it. Hiro's story and the mind reading cop at the end of ep3 are the highlights so far.

Labian Quest

I have a special power that enables me to tell if a program is going to be rubbish without even watching it. :P

Robot DeNiro

I've been watching this, and I think it's good, but not great.  The teleporting Japanese guy is very entertaining, but some of the other heroes are less interesting, especially the flying bloke with unresolved family issues.  It's surprisingly gruesome - the cliffhanger at the end of episode three managed to be funny and really quite horrific.

I think I'm going to stick with it, in the hope that all the set ups and intrigue of the first few episodes build into something satisfying.

kidsick5000

Quote from: "Labian Quest"I have a special power that enables me to tell if a program is going to be rubbish without even watching it. :P

Your powers are weak. Heroes is great. and anyone who saw the end of the third episode will now be addicted.

Its certainly better than Six Degrees which is a similar concept, just without the special powers.

JJJJH

Quote from: "Marv Orange"Niki Sanders, a 33-year-old Las Vegas showgirl who can do incredible things with mirrors,
Sounds saucy.

Harfyyn Teuport

Quote from: "JJJJH"
Quote from: "Marv Orange"Niki Sanders, a 33-year-old Las Vegas showgirl who can do incredible things with mirrors,
Sounds saucy.

It's this kind of thing which pisses me off. At least CSI waited two moderately good series before every other murder was in a strip joint.

Jack Shaftoe

Just watched eps 3 and 4, having written off the pilot as being a bit rubbish, and it's got much much better, so thanks Marv, I wouldn't have bothered otherwise. I'm enjoying all the characters going in and out of each others' stories, which always seemed a bit self-consciously clever in Lost (which I've now given up on).

The end of ep 3 was one of those 'oh blimey' moments - very good indeed.

Brutus Beefcake

Quote from: "Harfyyn Teuport"It's this kind of thing which pisses me off. At least CSI waited two moderately good series before every other murder was in a strip joint.

Well it is set in LA.

Does anyone know if that new show with James Woods is any good?

Smackhead Kangaroo

I can't help but think that there'd be very little drama if I suddenly developed a superpower. It'd just be another thing I could do.

Wake up, brush teeth eat breakfast, go to work on a giant eagle,
remember to get dressed, breathe atomic fire etc...

same old same old.

John Self

You never know though, SK: depends on what the power is, really.

For instance, if you were bitten by, say,  a radioactive something-with-an-imagination, why, your life could change dramatically.

Smackhead Kangaroo

well I suppose if I could travel to different television dimensions and ended up living in Sunset Beach or East Enders then perhaps you are right.

Billy Brown

Quote from: "Brutus Beefcake"Does anyone know if that new show with James Woods is any good?

I've only seen the pilot, but it wasn't anything to write home about. Woods is watchable as ever, but the premise of the show is a direct lift from House, in that he has three students along for the ride. I'm normally a sucker for courtroom drama, but it didn't really do it for me. I'll give the next episode or two a go at some point, but I'm not expecting anything special.

Heroes has been great so far though, bar a couple of dodgy effects shots, which were strange as they've generally been of a high standard.

jennifer

Quote from: "john self"You never know though, SK: depends on what the power is, really.

For instance, if you were bitten by, say,  a radioactive something-with-an-imagination, why, your life could change dramatically.

Like these two? (watch the video clip, don't ask why I have this)

2funnyblokesbeingfunny.co.uk/

Jack Shaftoe

I like the sudden flying away bit, that was great, as I really wasn't expecting it to be so fast..

Marv Orange

Another decent ep i really like the way it keeps chugging along and they know the kind of cliffhangar I like.

Found this site today on the front page it provdes a link to next weeks preview.

http://www.heroes-forum.com/

John Self

Quote from: "mary toft"a link that I had to paste and copy to look at, thus adding to the amount of life I will not get back

Fucking hell woman! What are you trying to do? And why the hell have you-

Quote from: "mary toft"don't ask why I have this

Ah right, okay then, I won't.

Still, can't help but feel there's something you're not telling us here. A bit of your backstory, perhaps. I suggest you mosie on over here and tell all, you'll feel better for it, you will.

mothman

mothman

Alberon

Christopher Eccleston is joining Heroes

http://www.tvguide.com/News-Views/Columnists/Ask-Ausiello/default.aspx?posting={E5B58361-3B22-497C-86CE-BB2D9787CE51}

(The URL tag doesn't seem to want to work on that, but it is a valid link)

Other websites have suggested he's in the role of a serial killer. Well he has to be evil, he is British after all. Probably won't be a series regular either, I'd expect.

Brutus Beefcake

Quote from: "Brutus Beefcake"
Quote from: "Harfyyn Teuport"It's this kind of thing which pisses me off. At least CSI waited two moderately good series before every other murder was in a strip joint.

Well it is set in LA.

What?  It's not set in LA it's set in Las Vegas, fuckwit.

Marv Orange

If anyone still unsure whether to start picking this up. Get the nine eps that have already aired. A small story arc completes in those nine eps.

Who would have though an ep with no Hiro would still be just as good.

MojoJojo

Is it 9 episodes? I was looking last night for a episode number 9, but couldn't find one. Then again all the numbers I seem to be getting seem to be messed up.
(Tried really hard to not make this a spoiler)
The last one I saw had the cheerleader needing a big piece of paper. How many episodes after that?

I've quite enjoyed this. I thought the flying guy with family issues got a lot better when his brother got involved. They seem to be relying on constantly introducing new characters, which is a bit worrying - at some point they are going to have to stop.

Alberon

George Takei has apparently landed a role in this series now and BBC 2 has gotten the terrestial rights and will show it after the UK Sci-Fi channel has run it.

Marv Orange

The future is here.... Colbert showed the righteous path now Heroes follows..

All the current episodes can be viewed here, and its all above board and legal.
Enjoy.
http://www.nbc.com/Video/rewind/full_episodes/heroes.shtml

Heroes still hasn't aired a disappointing ep yet although as soon as the dream sequence started my immediate thought was these writers should stop watching Lost.

EDIT: Bollocks looks like it doesn't work for people outside N.America,

Jim Jarmusch

You can you use a Switch Proxy pluggin for Firefox to get past that. I tried one epsiode looked like some x-men crap. I don't know why no around these parts isn't talking about Dexter.  American Psycho meets CSi.

Marv Orange

No big deal I get mine from torrents anyway. I've been watching dexter since it started. I didn't think it was worth starting a thread for as there is'nt much to speculate about and doesn't give me geekgasms like Heroes does.

Jack Shaftoe

I read the book it's based on ('Darkly Dreaming Dexter') and was annoyed when it looked like it had given away the end of the series.

It's as though I'm some kind of massive idiot.

Artemis

Ok so I've just downloaded all of these and am now fully up to date. The source I get Prison Break from recommended it and that was good enough for me. I like the contrast to PB (still the best thing on telly when it's on) in that a PB twist won't provide much mystery, just make you realise that whatever character was involved was coming at things from a completely different angle then the one you were expecting. Heroes, meanwhile, throws in stuff that leaves you scratching your head and trying to work it out - I like that.

Like others, I've given up on Lost. I'll still watch it, but it's a shadow of it's former self right now and definitely needs to prove itself again.

So just when I get up to speed on this show it goes and takes a god-damn break along with more or less everything else it would seem!!

Edit: This place is quite interesting.

Mister Six

Quote from: "Marv Orange"Heroes still hasn't aired a disappointing ep yet although as soon as the dream sequence started my immediate thought was these writers should stop watching Lost.

That one scene aside, Heroes seems like the exact opposite of Lost: each episode focuses on several characters instead of just one; mysteries are wrapped up within a few episodes and replaced with new ones instead of being dragged out; the focus is almost entirely on the future rather than the past; people actually discuss the weird shit instead of unrealisitically forgetting to talk about it; and rather than throwing a variety of characters together, it seems to be going to great pains to keep most of them apart.

Also: it's not really boring.

Artemis

Erm.... well, that's true to an extent. However, Hiro's reaction to the things he can do can hardly be called realistic, and Nathan just landing conveniently at the same diner that Hiros was in, along with various other conveniently coincidental joining-up of characters is also a bit hard to swallow.

Having said that, it's not grated on me at all and there's always a line you have to draw; an amount of disbelief you let slide.