Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 08:26:42 AM

Login with username, password and session length

USA TV: Heroes

Started by Marv Orange, October 17, 2006, 04:38:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Neil

Probably more my fault than yours Alberon :-) I'm very sensitive to spoilers...as I said inthe Prison Break thread, I even forward past the 'Previously...' segments at the start, as the bits they show just illustrate the storylines they're about to bring back!  

Yeah, I'll get the spoiler tags installed when I'm not half-cut :-)

Alberon

I do understand. I always close my eyes for the 'this episode' clips in the title sequence of each new Battlestar Galactica episode.

Slaaaaabs

Quote from: "Alberon"I do understand. I always close my eyes for the 'this episode' clips in the title sequence of each new Battlestar Galactica episode.

God that pisses me right off. Whoever thought that was a good idea? They ruin cliffhangers with it as well.

MojoJojo

Quote from: "Mister Six"
Quote from: "MojoJojo"I'm curious about where they are going with the Clare thinking nurse guy can heal too bit - they made a point of him not getting to correct her, but I can't see how they are going to work that out.

I think that's just to keep her in the dark about the nature of the other heroes. She knows that people like her are out there, she just doesn't know that their powers are different from her own.

[SPOILERS] ...maybe except that has gone out the window now she's talking to the mute guy. But possibly it's going nowhere, like so much stuff seems to.

I'm starting to get annoyed by the way this series is going, and the way they constantly make it look like something important is going to happen then pull it back. So it looks like Sylar has escaped and is going on a rampage... oh no he hasn't. Peter's been captured by the police covered in blood, and he's going to have to explain how he's trying to save the world to the police. Oh no, that would be too much of a change. It's feels like that game they play in UYA with people taking it in turns to tell bits of a story - the writers for one episode try to do something drastic to push the story forward, but the writers for the next episode don't want to write from that position so they just undo it all.

Over 13 episodes, very little has happened.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

Heh, Ecclestone said "Fantastic."

Artemis

I agree, this show is starting to get the feeling of ambling along and not really going anywhere. After watching Prison Break, I'm finding myself almost completely intolerant of shows with a load of filler for the sake of it - it's just lazy writing. Heroes disguise their padding well, by making everything seem important, and some of the characters are so intriguing that you let it go, but some kind of structure or plot needs to develop other then "I need to find my sword / I need to not explode / I can read minds" etc.

I'll forgive them anything if they just show more Jessica/Nikki.

I think they should show less of Nikki, D.L. and their bratty kid. It's the one part of the show that does feel like filler. I guess their connection to Linderman is going to become important later, but at the moment there doesn't seem to be much point to them.

Spoiler alert
I wonder if Hiro's dad is going to turn out to be Linderman.
[close]

Artemis

I can see your point, but what I like about them is they're the only good ones confident in their powers. All the others are either frightened, unsure, confused, bothered or nonplussed about what they can do whereas D.L. walks through walls like it's second nature and when Jessica comes out to play, the confidence makes for sweet television.

I guess the Haitian guy knows what he's doing but it's hard to enjoy him because it's such a non-visual ability he has. The only other woman who was handy with her ability was the one who could persuade anyone to do anything. By the way, what happened to her? I guess Sylar killed her when he broke the glass, but nobody has said anything about it, and why didn't Sylar escape? Am I the only one not to notice this or have I missed something?

It was all explained.
Spoiler alert
She killed herself in her lovely head to stop Sylar taking her power. Sylar was then tranquilzed by Mr Bennett in one of the online comics.
[close]

Neil

Ha, NCC 1701 indeed, even I recognise that.

I found Ecclestone a bit cringe-worthy in this at times, but am starting to warm to him.  It's just the Americanisms coming out of that Northern gob, really.  

Good ending this week, was wondering who it would be.

Mister Six

Quote from: "Artemis"I can see your point, but what I like about them is they're the only good ones confident in their powers. All the others are either frightened, unsure, confused, bothered or nonplussed about what they can do whereas D.L. walks through walls like it's second nature and when Jessica comes out to play, the confidence makes for sweet television.

I have a similar feeling about Hiro - he's pretty much the only character (except Peter, briefly) who's actually trying to take control of his own destiny and is rising to meet the card that genetics (or magic, or aliens or whatever) has dealt him. It's a lot easier to get behind the guy who wants to go around saving lives than the whiners and fuckups in the rest of the programme.

And of all of them, DL and Nikki are the ones who are currently least heroic...

Apart from one minor disappointment
Spoiler alert
The stuff with Hiro's dad all seemed a bit prosaic and fillerish after all the buildup
[close]
it was another fine episode. I liked the fact that they didn't shoehorn all the characters in this week.

Ecclestone has quickly become my favourite character, especially after his unorthodox lesson with Peter.
Spoiler alert
I'm amazed it took him so long to try and kill the whiny little sod.
[close]

Slaaaaabs

Great stuff, Ecclestone has dragged the quality of acting WAY up.

Slightly disappointed by the reveal at the end though but it makes sense when you think about it.

Oh and this might seem crazy but....

Spoiler alert
Ecclestone = Lindermann? His name isnt Claude Rains, which was confirmed by the writers, and his homeless guy attire could just be a ruse to get him close to Peter and the new heroes. Makes running a crime empire that much easier as well!
[close]

MojoJojo

Out of interest, why does Peter think Ecclestone has control of his power? Did I miss something, or was it in the comic? I tried reading the comic but just found the interface to annoying. (Oh I haven't watched this weeks yet, just last weeks which ends with:
Spoiler alert
Hiro meeting his dad
[close]

Marv Orange

Funnily I thought the last two were a bit dull and the episodes were treading water only producing only minor geekgasms.

MojoJojo

Fully caught up now.

Spoiler alert
I guess Mr. Linderman is never going to appear - he's just going to be a shadowy background figure. I also think Paper factory man is going to turn out to be working for him - just to make the conspiracy as big as possible.

The Hiro stuff was reasonable, but muddled. As his sister explained, his Dad was reigning him in because his disobdience was embarrassing. He only suggested the executive vice-chairman position when Hiro complained about sitting in a cubical as an incentive to bring him back. But he leaves to take Hiro's sister as the XVC, thus solving precisely none of his problems.

The whole thing felt like they were just stalling Hiro from getting to Mr. Linderman too soon, so they can coordinate it with the other plot lines.

I don't know, I enjoy watching it but just feel like bitching about it afterwards. I guess it's because the characters are weak, so I end up trying to guess what the writers are going to do with the narrative rather than wonder how the characters are going to react.
[close]

Huzzie

To let everyone know it is just starting now on Sci Fi channel +1 (double bill).

It was on a couple of hours ago but I forgot about it so am catching up on +1.

Have a look.

Enjoy.

Huzzie

Oh. So you've all been watching it already.

Well THANKS for telling ME!!!;-)

Where have you been watching it? On your PC's?

Marv Orange

Spoiler alert
yup
[close]

Artemis

Stick with it, Huzzie. The 'oooh, new series' concept wares off after the first couple of episodes and then it kind of ambles around for bit not really going anywhere fast, but it gets better and I'm really enjoying it now.

Slaaaaabs

The latest one was great. Spoilered for Huzzie etc.

Spoiler alert
45 minutes of pure plot advancement! Stan Lee driving a bus! Fantastic stuff, and some great cliffhanger situations with the Bennet home invasion (was the Israeli girl there?), Simone being dead (yeah right) and Hiro going it alone. Hopefully they will keep the pace up right through to the end of the season now.
[close]

Mister Six

I definitely think that Lindermann will appear in person at some point and that they're waiting for the right actor to come along - same as they did with Sylar.

I do think that it's treading water a bit at the moment - the Nikki prison plotline, for example, went on for two episodes too long and only served to get her working for Lindermann, something that could have been sorted out much faster. Likewise the bit with Hiro's dad, which gave them a cliffhanger just fine but did very little else for the show as a whole.

Can't help but wonder if a HBO-style 13 episode season would've worked out better.

Marv Orange

Quote from: "Mister Six"I definitely think that Lindermann will appear in person at some point and that they're waiting for the right actor to come along - same as they did with Sylar.

I do think that it's treading water a bit at the moment - the Nikki prison plotline, for example, went on for two episodes too long and only served to get her working for Lindermann, something that could have been sorted out much faster. Likewise the bit with Hiro's dad, which gave them a cliffhanger just fine but did very little else for the show as a whole.

Can't help but wonder if a HBO-style 13 episode season would've worked out better.

Have you seen the latest episode yet? No treading water there.

MojoJojo

Yeah, much better than they have been managing. (although I did watch an episode of The Wire afterwards, and it did show up how bad the writing is in Heroes).
Oh it was on Newsnight review. They picked up on the crappy dialogue, but seemed to generally like it. Germain Greer hated it, and did make the valid point that there were two female characters - a webcam stripper and a cheerleader. They'd only seen the first couple of episodes.

Spoiler alert

Sylar hanging around with scientist bloke seems a bit silly and contrived - especially if he can't restrain himself until after they're leaving. It just feels like something to keep the characters ticking over.

Miss Internet seems pointless. Don't they have enough characters?

The episode definately benefited from not having the Nikki stuff in it.
[close]

Spoilerish prediction:
Spoiler alert

Christopher Eccleston is going to save the day, isn't he? There will be a whole "it's happening just like my vision, there is nothing we can do!" bit then Eccleston can be there (and not invalidate the vision) and whack Peter over the back of the head at the last moment.
[close]

Finally, Peter is something more than just a whinging bollocks.
Spoiler alert
Even if it's because he's turned mental and supervillainous.
[close]
A very good episode all round, but the undoubted highpoint is
QuoteHey, young fella. All by yourself?
Excelsior!

Artemis

Do we still have to spoiler tag everything when it's already been shown?!

Mister Six

Quote from: "MojoJojo"Germain Greer hated it, and did make the valid point that there were two female characters - a webcam stripper and a cheerleader. They'd only seen the first couple of episodes.

Also the spooky voice girl who gets killed and the mother who uses her daughter to blackmail someone. Hmm.

Artemis

Germain Greer is such a joyless cunt. Does she really have to see a "high powered female executive who achieved her position on her own merit and owns a faultless set of moral principles and values" to enjoy a program?

Get yer baps out, Germain, and come and join the fun!

MojoJojo

Quote from: "Mister Six"
Quote from: "MojoJojo"Germain Greer hated it, and did make the valid point that there were two female characters - a webcam stripper and a cheerleader. They'd only seen the first couple of episodes.

Also the spooky voice girl who gets killed and the mother who uses her daughter to blackmail someone. Hmm.

I think they'd only seen the first couple of episodes, so they wouldn't of been in it yet.

Spooky voice girl is dead. The waitress Hiro befriended is also dead. How many male characters have died yet, ignoring all the 1 episode characters that exist solely for Sylar to kill? I doubt Blackmailing mom is going to play much more of a part, if she appears again at all (killed by Sylar?). The bird Peter and painting guy fancy seems to just exist as someone for them to fight over. Internet girl - well, she might develop into a character, but there is no sign of it yet.

They really went for a quantity over quality approach when it came to characters, didn't they?

So I think Germaine Greer does have a point - although to be honest the problem is the show relies heavily on stereotypes for what little characterisation it has, rather than any sort of misogynest agenda.

Marv Orange

Its the universe correcting itself against the amount of bad dads in New Who