Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
  • Total Members: 17,819
  • Latest: Jeth
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,578,479
  • Total Topics: 106,671
  • Online Today: 1,086
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 20, 2024, 03:57:17 AM

Login with username, password and session length

The last taboo of Cookd and Bombd - smilies

Started by Bert Thung, October 20, 2006, 06:55:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Smilies on Cookd and Bombd

Yes
7 (15.6%)
No
38 (84.4%)

Total Members Voted: 45

Voting closed: October 20, 2006, 06:55:27 AM

Bert Thung

I know we're all too cool and hard to use them, and they are ghastly, but just occasionally when  you make a joke during a discussion, you can inadvertantly start Word War III when fellow whores misintrepret the inflection. Purely to stop unexpected and unnecessary flare ups, could we consider the use of the use of smilies on here?

Maybe even a rationing system, three a month, with the extra option of the shocked look one or the devil face.  Of course anyone who uses the rollseyes is a cunt amongst cunts so keep that barred.

Labian Quest

No way man! we're all far too cool to use smilies

lazyhour

What's wrong with the occasional use of:

:-)

:-(

;-)

:-O

?

I'm sure we can cope without those horrendous animated, colourful fuckers (see above) and live with ascii.  Job done, innit?

If someone makes a joke and you misinterpret it, you should be banned for a month.

Borboski

Oh come on, no-one wants them, and if you're so inclined you can link to them anyway.

John Self

Quote from: "The Boston Crab"If someone makes a joke and you misinterpret it, you should be banned for a month.

Fucking hell Bosto, that seems a bit-

Oh, I mean, hehehehehe, nice one!

Just realised: you didn't mean that, 'banned for a month', did you. You meant 'slapped for a fool'. And I agree!

I like that there are no smilies here.

I'm fairly new and I actually thought text-based smilies were frowned upon here, so I haven't used them - even when they've been appropriate - usually it would have been a ;-).

What smilie could be used to denote sarcasm though...?

Frinky

The thing about smilies is that there's always one cunt who has to go too far, there were a couple of people who'd put :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: at the end of thier posts. I love this place for not having them.

I do miss :rolleyes:, though, I think well-placed use of that particular one accounted for about 50% of the anger on the boards at the time.

benthalo

I do think less of someone if they use a smilie, animated or not. That's just gut instinct.

We can't all be perfect linguists, but for me it's much like the overuse of an exclamation mark - compensating for poor expression, where the humour of the post ought to be implicit. People who use more than one exclamation mark on the trot should be shot. Just joking!!!

Mr. Analytical

I don't think it's a problem here but if you try the whole "cool dry wit" thing on an american board without smilies you'll find yourself in trouble pretty quick.

AC

I've always fucking hated smilies and I've honestly never read people critisising them. Ergo, this thread made my heart warm a bit.

Gazeuse

Tits McGee

untitled_london

ascii = pwnage!

lolz rofl r0xOr

:p

:/

thas me done for the next six months. phew, t'was nice to get it out of the system.

Eight Taiwanese Teenagers

Smileys are mostly bad. I think that with things the way they are people can put one in if they *really* want to, but will have to make a conscious effort to find one and put it in as an image. This should lead to quality control.

SOTS

I dislike smilies on most messageboards.

So no.

biniput

Smilies are like Asbestos.  Once thought (in times of yore) to be 'just the thing for us sort of chaps'  but have in fact turned out to be cancerous, infecting and dangerous.  Once a person or board comes into contact then the effects over around 4 years can mean a terrible and drawn out death.

untitled_london

i dunno, i'm not sure its the last taboo.

avatars, and signatures are in the same league of disapproval.

however, looking at the UYA, i'd say piss shit & death are more taboo.

i think you're far more likely to incur the wrath of Neil & the mods with PS&D than you would if you signed off on every post, or hotlinked to smiley stuff.

JesusAndYourBush

Quote from: "SteveLampkins".What smilie could be used to denote sarcasm though...?
I thought an exclamation mark in brackets was the accepted form of denoting sarcasm.

The Duck Man

The thing about smilies is that if you go on a board that uses them and you have no need for them, you always feel a bit guilty about not putting some colour into your post. After all, it does look a bit weird if you're reading a thread and all the posts have smilies apart from one.

So you end up putting some pointless smiley in and feeling guilty about it.

Quote from: "DevlinC"',:-D

Just to say, that is fucking brilliant Dev and gave me a real raucous laugh! Frinkster also made me chuckle because the :rolleyes: really did result in so much impotent fury it was the ultimate twat trigger. That one alone should definitely be brought back.

The other day my friend lauded my tale of romantic conquest with this symbol:

Quoteo/\o

whicih I thought was exceptionally blunt. I mean, yeah, obviously the old boy came into play but there's no need to be so graphic. It turns out it represented the pair of us in suburban California, high-fiving in silhouette at the end of a 1980s rite of passage teen movie, arms aloft at full stretch, hitting the peaks of friendship and solidarity, in harmonic unison with the earth for an eternal moment before we ended up getting filofaxes a few years later and coke-and-whoring it all away before the new decade completely neutered us into the bottom of a cheap bottle of Scandinavian own-brand whiskey.

With a stroke of divine inspiration (I could literally feel God's breath stop my heart for a second or two) I came up with:
o<--->o

This represented two penguins in the midst of that old date cliche from Lady & the Tramp, they're slurping on the same strand of spaghetti! This I felt highlighted the fact that I was becoming closer to the lady in question, but we were both still acting quite cool (penguins, you see) and that everything was perfectly poised in as much as it was inevitable that the next time we met sexual actvity would be necessarily imminent!

He followed it up with this:

Quote\O/

which I can only assume was supposed to represent the wide vagina, Curb-style. Thankfully my internet connection faltered before the gratuitous brute could expand (!).

Eight Taiwanese Teenagers

Quote from: "The Boston Crab"
Quote from: "DevlinC"',:-D

Just to say, that is fucking brilliant Dev and gave me a real raucous laugh! Frinkster also made me chuckle because the :rolleyes: really did result in so much impotent fury it was the ultimate twat trigger. That one alone should definitely be brought back.

The other day my friend lauded my tale of romantic conquest with this symbol:

Quoteo/\o

whicih I thought was exceptionally blunt. I mean, yeah, obviously the old boy came into play but there's no need to be so graphic. It turns out it represented the pair of us in suburban California, high-fiving in silhouette at the end of a 1980s rite of passage teen movie, arms aloft at full stretch, hitting the peaks of friendship and solidarity, in harmonic unison with the earth for an eternal moment before we ended up getting filofaxes a few years later and coke-and-whoring it all away before the new decade completely neutered us into the bottom of a cheap bottle of Scandinavian own-brand whiskey.

With a stroke of divine inspiration (I could literally feel God's breath stop my heart for a second or two) I came up with:
o<--->o

This represented two penguins in the midst of that old date cliche from Lady & the Tramp, they're slurping on the same strand of spaghetti! This I felt highlighted the fact that I was becoming closer to the lady in question, but we were both still acting quite cool (penguins, you see) and that everything was perfectly poised in as much as it was inevitable that the next time we met sexual actvity would be necessarily imminent!

He followed it up with this:

Quote\O/

which I can only assume was supposed to represent the wide vagina, Curb-style. Thankfully my internet connection faltered before the gratuitous brute could expand (!).

Rev

The poll options should clearly have been :) or :(

This kind of thing wouldn't have happened in the old days.