Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,582,191
  • Total Topics: 106,728
  • Online Today: 897
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 24, 2024, 02:22:33 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Request for advice from Aubrey (1)

Started by zozman, October 25, 2006, 06:31:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

zozman

Welcome Aubrey to the world of IT, and more importantly, to CaB.

I have a question for you that, with all your years of theatrical experience, I'm sure you'll be able to provide a wise answer.

For some time now, I've associated with a small band of players.  Gilbert & Sullivan and the like.  The director of this spunky band is a chap called Steven.  Now, in a quiet moment betwixt rehearsals, he suggested that there may be a position for me as assistant director if I "returned the favour".   At this, he placed a sturdy hand on my knee and tipped me a jaunty wink.  I assume the "favours" would be of a more animalistic bent.

What advice could you give to a young chap in this position?

Aubrey Barkus

Quote from: "zozman"Welcome Aubrey to the world of IT, and more importantly, to CaB.

I have a question for you that, with all your years of theatrical experience, I'm sure you'll be able to provide a wise answer.

For some time now, I've associated with a small band of players.  Gilbert & Sullivan and the like.  The director of this spunky band is a chap called Steven.  Now, in a quiet moment betwixt rehearsals, he suggested that there may be a position for me as assistant director if I "returned the favour".   At this, he placed a sturdy hand on my knee and tipped me a jaunty wink.  I assume the "favours" would be of a more animalistic bent.

What advice could you give to a young chap in this position?

Oh, Gilbert and Sullivan!

QuotePour, oh, pour the pirate sherry,
Fill, O fill the pirate glass!
And, to make us more than merry,
Let the pirate bumper pass!

Do you know it's slightly unusual in a partnership such as theirs for the lyricist to be credited first.  Obviously in recent years you've had 'John' Lennon and Paul 'McCartney' where Lennon was in charge of the words and McCartney generally handled the taxis and practical work.  (in their case the actual music was by their producer, George Michael.)

To return to the point, I think that favours of the kind your friend requests are out of order.  Better still to follow the advice I give all young hopefuls yearning to enter the world of theatre. Pick someone at the top of their game.  Nicholas Hytler or similar.  And then I would knock on that director's door.  Knock and knock until you're heard.  
Mind you, don't go too foolish about it as one disappointed young Turk I heard of.  Peter Hall does not appreciate his office door being unscrewed from its hinges, burnt in a kind of demented sacrifice, then the cinders force fed to his dog.  Good publicity.  Bad publicity.  It's all a balance.