Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 18, 2024, 10:14:53 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Newer Doctor Who

Started by Bert Thung, November 01, 2006, 12:32:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Do you like New Who?

Yes
67 (37.2%)
No
33 (18.3%)
Yes,  when RTD isn't writing it
41 (22.8%)
You're poll does not take account of my nuanced viewpoint
39 (21.7%)

Total Members Voted: 180

Voting closed: November 01, 2006, 12:32:55 PM

Huzzie

Sorry. It turned out that both my above points had been discussed.

I always get left out me:-(

Still Not George

Quote from: "Jemble Fred"So much of this anti-RTD stuff really is unquestionably good old-fashioned bigotry, isn't it? Pure, unthinking homophobia. I mean "how very right-on of her"? No, grandad, it's not 'poltical correctness gone mad!!11!', it's pretty sensible to presume that far in the future people will be more relaxed about their sexual leanings, so would potentially have a boyfriend or a girlfriend. It's called progress, I don't see where the creator's sexuality comes into it.

Speaking as a bisexual male, I find that offensive. RTD's sexuality is not what's at issue here - his application of a specific agenda (that he's now openly admitted in Torchwood, and has been quite clear all along to those with an eye for Scene Bollocks) and the appropriateness thereof is the issue.

I have zero problem with Davies' sexuality, although I'll admit that he reminds me of a particularly creepy strain of fat gay guys who have a habit of thinking that all bisexuals must automatically fancy them. I have a problem with him filling Doctor Who with camp pop-culture references and over-emotionalising the dialogue and plotlines. I put that down to his Scener roots (and anyone who thinks he isn't a Scene Queen should watch Queer as Folk again, as he'd never have been able to write that otherwise), whereas others put it down to other factors. Neither of these options is the result of out-and-out bigotry, and to suggest it is can only be called reactionary bullshit.

Jemble Fred

Oi, we were talking about the very specific statement 'how very right-on' about Martha asking if someone far in the future has a boyfriend or girlfriend. If the reference to sexuality was incongruous, there may be some coinage in bringing the creator's sexuality into the debate, but there was nothing wrong with that line. If you think this thread contains absolutely no unironic un-weekender-ish homophobic comments throughout its 74 pages...

Speaking as a heterosexual male, your type makes me puke. Prevert.

gatchamandave

Quote from: "Jemble Fred"Oi, we were talking about the very specific statement 'how very right-on' about Martha asking if someone far in the future has a boyfriend or girlfriend. If the reference to sexuality was incongruous, there may be some coinage in bringing the creator's sexuality into the debate, but there was nothing wrong with that line. If you think this thread contains absolutely no unironic un-weekender-ish homophobic comments throughout its 74 pages...

Speaking as a heterosexual male, your type makes me puke. Prevert.

Yes,  it  doesn't  really  help  your  argument  that  we're  all  homophobes  and  that's  why  we  attack  RTD  when a  couple  of  bisexuals  take  him  to  task  for lousy plotting,  does  it ?  Nor  when  the  ma  himself  admits  to having  a pro-gay  agenda  and  working it in  whenever  he  can.

The  times  that  I've  seen  RTD  criticised for  his  pro-gay message  is  when  he  has  made  no  bones  about  advancing  it - he's  hardly  made  it  subtext  in  Torchwood  or Dr  Who,  has  he ?  Jack,  the  two  old  luvvies  in  Gridlock,  Ianto,  the  boyfriend  line.  I  thin  you'l  find  that  what  most  of  us  object  to  isn't  that  he  advances  a  pro-gay  or  pro-bi  agenda  occassionally -  it's  that  he  does  all  the  ruddy  time.  Does  he  have  nothing  else  to  talk  about ?

kidsick5000

Quote from: "The Gush"
Quote from: "Lt Plonker"Did I imagine it, or did Old Doctor Who have a thing for Jelly Babies? If so, I wish they'd mention it in New Doctor Who. :)

It was started by Patrick Troughton's Dr then Tom Baker carried it on.  It would be great to see it return.  If just the once as a knowing wink to the past.

Would be great to see the jelly babies back.
In a way, they showed great heroism, going up to galactic oppressors and offering them a sweet. It had balls and a touch of Bugs Bunny.

Or just a great use for a time machine. Going back 20 years when sweets were commonly available by the quarter. Oh yes. screw finding the truth behind the grassy knoll. Get me a bag of fizz bombs and a quarter of pontefract cakes.

ozziechef

Quote from: "Lt Plonker"Did I imagine it, or did Old Doctor Who have a thing for Jelly Babies? If so, I wish they'd mention it in New Doctor Who. :)

Didn't Ecclostone mention this once? If not, then I'm 99.9% sure Paul McGann did in the TV movie.

mothman

Does the Doctor have something against Jack, perchance? First he leaves him stranded in the 55th century, then runs like hell when he sees Jack, er, running like hell after him several thousand years before when they last saw each other. Or pehaps, after getting that snog, the Doctor is taking great steps to make sure he doesn't have ANYTHING against Jack.

And while on the subject of perceived-but-probably-unintentional bigotry, Martha's mother and her dislike of the idea of her daughter with a white partner in the wake of her husband leaving her for a younger white woman: discuss.

I think you've put more thought into it than they have.

mothman

Oh, almost certainly. I just have this irrational dislike of Martha's mum.

Is it because she's a lesbian?

I've had no problems with the glimpses of family so far - nicely done, really - and nicely cast. Plus I've slightly fallen in love with Martha and wouldn't really want to go back to Billie. FACT: The mum has previously played one of the cat nuns in the cat nuns episode.

I like the fact that the majority of episodes so far haven't been set in contemporary London. We've had the moon, London in Elizabethan times, New New Earth in the future, New York in the past, then a brief trip to the here and now, before going way into the future again. I know people have whinged about it being too present-day Earth-centric before. So what with that and the family stuff - perhaps they're listening to the fans' feedback a little.

mothman

She's a lesbian?! Bitch! No, I don't know why I dislike her, something about her voice I think.

No, of course not. Well, I don't know if she is - I was joking you silly man. You silly, silly moth man.

hands cold, liver warm

and her beard is a false one

Brad

She has breast implants and drives a tractor?

mothman

I know you were joking, you silly chap man!

Backstage With Slowdive

Quote from: "mothman"I know you were joking, you silly chap man!

This is just bigotry against silly chaps.

mothman

Yes, those silly chaps Christina Aguillera wore on Top of the Pops, send 'em back where they came from, I say.

ozziechef

Apparently in the episode "Aliens of London":

Quote from: "tv.com"When the Doctor is watching TV, we see the children's programme Blue Peter in which the host has made a U.F.O cake, that he has decorated with jelly babies.

Tokyo Sexwhale

Quote from: "ozziechef"

Apparently in the episode "Aliens of London":

Quote from: "tv.com"When the Doctor is watching TV, we see the children's programme Blue Peter in which the host has made a U.F.O cake, that he has decorated with jelly babies.

He could have bought some from one of those little shops that he likes so much.

morgs

Paul McGann definitely had jelly babies in his one outing...

My Giddy Aunt

Oh thats a shame.
I just caught up with this episode and thought it was excellent, was expecting the chat on here to be about how good it was! Ho hum, i've got very different views to most it seems on which ones i like this season anyway so shouldn't be too surprised.

Next weeks looks lovely though doesnt it?!

What was the funny look at the end in the Tardis about. When Martha pops in and says 'didnt need you anyway'?

Cappsy

Quote from: "Joyless Milk"What was the funny look at the end in the Tardis about. When Martha pops in and says 'didnt need you anyway'?

FORESHADOWING.  And slightly more subtle than 'There's a storm coming!!1' from Fear Her.