Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
  • Total Members: 17,819
  • Latest: Jeth
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,577,475
  • Total Topics: 106,658
  • Online Today: 781
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 05:50:27 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Newer Doctor Who

Started by Bert Thung, November 01, 2006, 12:32:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Do you like New Who?

Yes
67 (37.2%)
No
33 (18.3%)
Yes,  when RTD isn't writing it
41 (22.8%)
You're poll does not take account of my nuanced viewpoint
39 (21.7%)

Total Members Voted: 180

Voting closed: November 01, 2006, 12:32:55 PM

samadriel

Oo, that Dalek theme is great towards the end; properly gets one's 'Dalek dread' up.  I want to see 'em again now.

Bert Thung

4 minutes of The Runaway Bride

Mr Skinnylegs

That looked borderline bollocks to me, frankly.

Sivead

agghh fucking leave her. don't think i'll stomach that.

Still Not George

There better be a *really* fucking good rationale as to why he can't just let the fucking harpy die.

Bert Thung

Someone on OG says "She's like a carbon version of Harry Enfield (Sky version)"

TotalNightmare

i don't get me...

by all accounts, i should hate that clip...

i mean, i can't stand Torchwood... ive had serious problems with that and like the majority of this forum, i seem to be in the same mind that, yes, its balls...

and Catherine (fucking) Tate is in it, being a gobby pain in the arse...

and the concept of a TARDIS in a car chase is utterly balls...

but i loved watching that clip, i thought it was exciting and showed more genuine adventure, danger and excitement than ANY of Torchwood.

So, yes, i liked the clip and look forward to seeing how it plays out on Xmas day.

I'm annoyingly inconsistant in my viewpoint.

Alberon

Quote from: "TotalNightmare"i don't get me...

by all accounts, i should hate that clip...

I'm glad it's not just me that thought that. So why would that work with the Doctor and not with, for instance, Captain Jack in a mini flying saucer?

Maybe it's because they seem to put more care and attention into making Doctor Who than its cheaper spin-off? Or maybe it's simply that it's been hard to give a toss about any of the Torchwood crew so far, because they've all been so whiney and useless. Even Jack on Doctor Who was far more fun than he's been on Torchwood.

Whatever the case, I really liked that and groaned with the audience when the clip ended on the cliffhanger!

Deadman97

That made my heart leap into my mouth, I thought it looked fantastic. Anyome basing a dislike of that clip on a dislike of Catherine Tate needs to take a good look at themselves as it clearly looks superb. TN, I think the idea of the TARDIS in a car chase is a lovely one, uses the character in a fun new way. Thanks for putting that up, Bert.

My Giddy Aunt

What are you talking about. That looks fucking ace!

Mr. Analytical

Yeah... that looks arse.

It's just a pointless action scene.  It worries me that this is seen as worthy of a teaser, but not as much as it worries me how poorly it was implemented.  There are two effects shots of it spinning along and then the rest of it's him shouting out the door.  There's no sense of tension or flair to the direction.

More fucking alien Santa Clauses too.

It could hardly be worse than last year's pathetic christmas special but that doesn't make me look forward to this year's.

Deadman97

Quote from: "Mr. Analytical"Yeah... that looks arse.

It's just a pointless action scene.
Of course it is, it's being shown out of context as a tease. The Doctor mentions something about how "they need her for something", he clearly has a reason to be chasing her, so in what way is it pointless? Complaints about the effects aren't really valid either, considering it's a low-quality pre-broadcast clip.

QuoteThere are two effects shots of it spinning along
There are six, at least. You just want to moan, don't you?

Dark Sky

Wow, what a brilliant clip!  Absolutely superb!  

I just hope all the great sequences are more carefully sewn together than in last year's haphazard and unsatisfying Christmas Special.

And yeah, you can't make any judgment on how good the special effects actually are because it's such a low quality clip.  I expect it'll look brilliant though; the flying TARDIS shots for last year's Christmas Special were beautiful.

The Duck Man

That does look ace, although Catherine Tate is still regrettable.

I wonder whether they're going to set it at Christmas. There's a Santa in the car, but the fauna at the side of the road clearly shows it's summer.

mycroft

I quite liked it, Tate excluded.

And why would anyone want to get married at Christmas anyway...?

Dark Sky

Quote from: "The Duck Man"I wonder whether they're going to set it at Christmas. There's a Santa in the car, but the fauna at the side of the road clearly shows it's summer.

Well...BBC budget stretched to people in Santa costumes, but sadly not replanting all the flora and fauna down the M40 to make it look like winter.

And no-one make any "but that's obviously not the M40 because..." comments.

The Duck Man

Couldn't they CGi some winter fauna? Challenging, I know.

Ignatius_S

Quote from: "The Duck Man"That does look ace, although Catherine Tate is still regrettable.
The producers love their guest stars....

Quote from: "Dark Sky"Well...BBC budget stretched to people in Santa costumes, but sadly not replanting all the flora and fauna down the M40 to make it look like winter.
Replanting the fauna? :o)

I liked the clip - in fact, I really liked the audience reaction to it: cheering when they saw the TARDIS bouncing along the road like that; groaning when it ended. These are people that actually like Doctor Who. So what if it's Catherine Tate? She's just an actress in this, and didn't seem to be comedy-ing it up at all (unlike, say, Peter Kay's embarrassing attempts at characterisation). I think the Doctor-Who-does-high-speed-car-chase thing is interesting, and has been done well. It's not like they've got the resources of The Matrix, but I always think they use what budget they do have very cannily.

QuoteAnd why would anyone want to get married at Christmas anyway...?
My grandma and grandad got married on Christmas day, and I always thought it was the sweetest, most romantic thing ever. Admit it - you're clutching at straws now.

Dark Sky

Quote from: "The Duck Man"Couldn't they CGi some winter fauna? Challenging, I know.

Look, it's Doctor Who, not bloody Midsomer Murders!  I'd rather have a spinny policebox hightailing down a motorway rather than sitting there on Christmas Day nodding approvingly at the correctly seasonal foliage...

The Duck Man

Well you fucking would. And that's why you'll never write for Midsomer Murders.

NEVER.

Craig Torso

That Father Christmas robot alien looks fairly similar to those in The Christmas Invasion.  Ten pounds says they're connected in some way.

Catalogue Trousers

Coinsidering that RTD was saying months ago that "the robot Santas will be back", no deal, Mr Torso.

I haven't seen that clip yet, but the mere thoughts of "Catherine Tate" and "those bloody pointless, ludicrous robot Santas AGAIN" are not doing much to make me want to watch what looks likely to be a complete pile of pointless pants. So, much like The Christmas Invasion, then. Sigh.

Deadman97

Quote from: "Catalogue Trousers"Coinsidering that RTD was saying months ago that "the robot Santas will be back", no deal, Mr Torso.

I haven't seen that clip yet, but the mere thoughts of "Catherine Tate" and "those bloody pointless, ludicrous robot Santas AGAIN" are not doing much to make me want to watch what looks likely to be a complete pile of pointless pants. So, much like The Christmas Invasion, then. Sigh.
Don't decide it's shit yet. Watch it, seriously. It looks ace.

thomasina

I got a big dumb grin on my face when the Tardis appeared.  I've never watched Catherine Tate in anything, so she's just an actress to me.  Loved the clip.

My Giddy Aunt

What the fuck is the problem with Catherine fucking Tate?

Yep this looks exciting. Who else but RTD would think of using the TARDIS in that way? Spectacular stuff, all told.  

And "The Christmas Invasion" wasn't that bad, either.

difbrook

Quote from: "Ghost of Troubled Joe"Yep this looks exciting. Who else but RTD would think of using the TARDIS in that way? Spectacular stuff, all told.  

And "The Christmas Invasion" wasn't that bad, either.

I loved The Christmas Invasion on first screening. It was only the multiple screenings afterwards that made it all fall apart, but that's my fault. The initial buzz... wow. I do hope for a repeat performance this year, and yes, that clip looks tremendous.

For some reason, Torchwood being so utterly rank has really fired up my enthusiasm for the next series of Who. What that says about me, I don't know.

Catalogue Trousers

Oddly enough (and I know that I can't prove this), I had the idea of doing a car-chase with the Tardis when I was about 18. So RTD is far from the only person who could have thought of this.

It is a nice image, mind...

samadriel

Quote from: "difbrook"I loved The Christmas Invasion on first screening. It was only the multiple screenings afterwards that made it all fall apart, but that's my fault.
I'm the same way; I can't fault Tennant for not being 'in' the role yet (his performance in 'Christmas Invasion' is very different to his turn in Season 2), but the crap with the regrowing hand ('Lucky me, you did this within the first 15 hours of my regeneration!  Ha-HA!'  Since fucking when, Russ?), the 'crumble the edge off the ship' button, the incongruity between the 'pilot fish' and the Sycorax (that was their name, wasn't it?) and the cliche nature of the baddies renders it pretty wearisome on a second viewing.

QuoteFor some reason, Torchwood being so utterly rank has really fired up my enthusiasm for the next series of Who. What that says about me, I don't know.
I'm hoping it'll stop treading water, and that this Freema girl will be a pleasant change from Billie, but Torchwood is making me fretful; still, I don't think Torchwood is so much a sign of Russell 'going shit', as it is a sign of what happens when you don't dilute his existing shitness with talented writers, performers and crew.  So there's hope yet.