Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 12:24:30 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Uk tracking '30' terror plots

Started by Al Tha Funkee Homosapien, November 10, 2006, 12:48:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Al Tha Funkee Homosapien

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/6134516.stm

Now I try to not be cynical about this kind of stuff, because their probably are people planning to commit acts of terrorism within the UK, but what I don't understand is how the government telling everyone about how many 'terrorists' there are actually helps anyone. It's not as if any members of the public can do anything about it and the people who can do stuff about it like the police and the intelligence services already know about what's going on. So what is the point of this 'news'?

It's the same thing with the US-style 'terror threat level' colour coded warning thing. I mean who is that for? Who does it help?

zozman

The government.  Woooooo!  Are you scared yet!??

jutl

Quote from: "Al Tha Funkee Homosapien"Whom does it help?

Security service managers seeking more funding?

sproggy

THE GOVERNMENT: "We think we know who you are and we're watching you"

It's an old tactic (used a lot in Northern Ireland) it puts the baddies on the defensive and hopefully forces them to make a mistake.  Don't be surprised to see a Daily Mail/News of the World front page soon, something along the lines of the Paedo scare fiasco a while back.

petercussing

Quote"We are aware of numerous plots to kill people and to damage our economy. What do I mean by numerous? Five? Ten?

"No, nearer 30 that we currently know of.

The point of the speach where she turned into a market trader.

"Gosh i was thinking of a high number, like 5, and i thought that was what she was going to say, but then she turned the whole thing on it's head by saying a much higher number. 30! That is a high number and now i'm scared.
Do as you please secret services and have lots of money to do it with. I bet the terrorists are scared now too. Yay!"

Blumf

Each week you, the viewer, get to decided which terrorist plot stays and which goes. To vote, press the red button on your remote now!

JesusAndYourBush

It's quite frightening when people are convicted for a few pisspoor sketches in a notebook.  What next?  Someone arrested for talking about planning to commit a terrorist act?  Then take it to it's logical conclusion: someone arrested for thinking of committing a terrorist act?

Dusty Gozongas

Quote from: "zozman"The government.  Woooooo!  Are you scared yet!??

God save anybody who noticed the ex-UFO_finder_in_chief's comments in certain newspapers today. It's almost as if every influential dog-walker is creeping out of the oak panelling to bury a certain other story.  We're through the looking-glass here people.

rudi

Look - it's for your own good. After all if you have nothing to hide you have nothing to be scared of.

In other news, the CIA delivered their 40th plane-load of teddy-bears to children's hospitals throughout the world using their patented and much loved flying pig service.

Pinball

I bought a chemistry book from Amazon, and regularly criticise the government. Will I be arrested?

Welcome to UK 2006. New Stalinism.

Dusty Gozongas

Quote from: "Pinball"
Welcome to UK 2006. New Stalinism.

G-Cromwell-Brown will put paid to such optimism by 2008. Mark these words.