Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 09:26:21 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Zane Lowe

Started by rjd2, November 16, 2006, 08:00:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Do you like Zane Lowe

Oh jesus christ no the man is a tool.
27 (90%)
Yep a top notch dj worthy of any awards that come his way.
3 (10%)

Total Members Voted: 30

Voting closed: November 16, 2006, 08:00:07 PM

rjd2

I was asked the other day was Zane Lowe's knowledge of music any good, and before I started the usual rant "He's a crap Westwood without the ridiculously entertaining pomposity", but then I thought maybe he is a top notch dj deserving of my praise after all  when I'm flicking about on the radio I've often have came across  a song he's playing and thought "Oh that's Ok" but then next thing I hear is his smug voice and thought oh fuck not this dick and preceded to put it to another station where the presenter was not such a twat. Anyways back to the matter in hand Zane Lowe should be we like him? Is he any good? And should he get more respect? My answer to all three is no but I would be happy for someone to attempt to alter my opinion on the chap.

CaledonianGonzo

A Kiwi guy I met last year assured me that Zane Lowe was the new John Peel and that the folks back home were stoked that one of their own had gone one to become a worthy contemporary of the great man.  

A great Kiwi success story, cuzz.

Yeah...

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

I can't stand the loud mouthed git, I actually found Colin Murray's stint on the Evening Session preferable.

One example of his twattery that always sticks in my mind is when Josh Homme was doing a live set, with a sore throat, and Lowe was in the background continually shouting "Yeah yeah!".

There was also the day John Peel Died, and Lowe called him "the greatest living DJ".

rjd2

Ha I remember some NME twit apparently wrote an article a few years ago which insinuated quite strongly that Zane Lowe was a much more relevant DJ than Peel because in his opinion most of Peels stuff was obscure just for the sake of it and Zane Lowe had his finger on what was going on in the music world. The word cunt sprung to mind but NME have a hard on for Zane for yonks. The fools!

chand

He's kind of a John Peel lite I think, he does play some fairly obscure stuff but he's also fairly NME-friendly. It's probably an unfair comparison though; he's in the old Lamacq slot isn't he? His playlists seem to be fairly in keeping with what Lamacq was about before Lurpak got shunted around the schedules in the hope that it would give him the time to eat a proper meal and maybe end up looking a little less like Peter Crouch taken hostage and chained to a radiator for a year.

Brutus Beefcake

Go With The Flow

He has the teenage-rock-music-fan equivalent of a Blue Peter presenter. I.E. anybody would love to do the job he does (get paid to play tunes on the radio, interview rockstars etc etc)

Egyptian Feast

Quote from: "rjd2"Ha I remember some NME twit apparently wrote an article a few years ago which insinuated quite strongly that Zane Lowe was a much more relevant DJ than Peel because in his opinion most of Peels stuff was obscure just for the sake of it and Zane Lowe had his finger on what was going on in the music world. The word cunt sprung to mind but NME have a hard on for Zane for yonks. The fools!

Wow, I take it this was before Peel's posthumous canonisation? I wouldn't doubt that such an article appeared in NME. They do have a habit of making pig ignorance seem like a virtue. Couldn't the writer grasp the fact that most of the bands cherished by the NME staff nowadays were championed by Peel first, and that he gave an outlet (often, the ONLY outlet) to a hell of a lot more bands that the NME wouldn't touch with a cattle prod? How the fuck do you get more 'relevant' than that? It would boggle the mind that this stuff gets past an editor if the mind wasn't aware that the editor is Conor MacFuckingNicholas.

Of course, they wouldn't say that now, would they?

As for Zane Lowe, he's got moderate taste, isn't as annoying as Colin or Edith, but is nonetheless an absolute tool. Is there anything actually worth listening to on Radio 1 nowadays? All this talk about 'the new John Peel' is depressing, 'cos Radio 1 would have loved to bury Peel a long time before his death. If it just weren't for all them pesky listeners...

Egyptian Feast

Quote from: "chand"...like Peter Crouch taken hostage and chained to a radiator for a year.

Beautiful, just beautiful (your description, not Lamacq).

Geraint

Quote from: "rjd2"Ha I remember some NME twit apparently wrote an article a few years ago which insinuated quite strongly that Zane Lowe was a much more relevant DJ than Peel because in his opinion most of Peels stuff was obscure just for the sake of it and Zane Lowe had his finger on what was going on in the music world. The word cunt sprung to mind but NME have a hard on for Zane for yonks. The fools!

heh, they absolutely HATED Lowe for a long time pre-McNicholas. i'm not sure why this changed, whether it was editorial pressure due to the fact that he would tend to play a lot of stuff they were hyping, so it was in their interests to get kids listening, or simply because they started doing a million tie-ins with MTV2 in particular about the time he started doing that 'Gonzo' show.

i definitely remember when he got his first R1 job, they described it as the station's 'nadir'. in the news section, not some columnist having a pop.