Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 11:45:51 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Brace Yourselves

Started by 12 Storey Crisis, March 19, 2004, 10:27:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rats

Jesus whept, they're going to tune in anyway if it's martin, they don't need another hot name. Graham piss crisps norton, I ask ya. Boy can that bloke not act.

2pintz

Holy Balltwatrapearsecockpissflapanalflangemuffcumshitpisscuntwhorebirds!

think that sums that up...

2pintz

NobodyGetsOutAlive

hotpress.com is a joke website, yeah?

Fucking hell. How on earth will this work outside of the Irish setting?

Fucking hell,

Fucking hell.

NobodyGetsOutAlive

Quote from: "Rats"Graham piss crisps norton, I ask ya. Boy can that bloke not act.

From what I remember, I thought he was ok in it to be honest. Camping up Dougal however is the most retarded move ever.

Surely this can't go ahead without the permission of Linehan and Matthews though?

sproggy

Jayzus.

Steve Martin?  Pity, just as he was starting to get funny again.

Shame on you Norton, you should know better.

A Passing Turk Slipper

That is ridiculous. It can't be true, can it?

2pintz

just a little thought. A gay man playing a bumbling buffoon...

America goes PC once again...

2pintz

Rats

QuoteFrom what I remember, I thought he was ok in it to be honest.

Yeah, he was allright, but he was playing an irritating camp bloke

2pintz

Quote from: "Rats"Yeah, he was allright, but he was playing an irritating camp bloke

and might i add he played it very well...

2pintz

NobodyGetsOutAlive

Quote from: "Rats"
QuoteFrom what I remember, I thought he was ok in it to be honest.

Yeah, he was allright, but he was playing an irritating camp bloke
Says the Kate Bush fan...

Silver SurferGhost

Holy Mary, Mother of God.
He can't realistically play a character to save his life (and I often wish his life was at stake) he can only do "irritating".

Interesting messageboard there too, with an all-too-familiar sounding contribution from our old friend face.less the unmentionable:
QuoteWhat matters is the sacred cow mentality of some posters here needs a shake up. Thats why I posted!

Artemis

I submit to you the following:

Firstly, Steve Martin is back on form. His recent films have been pretty good and literatively he's in the zone. The evidence, from The New Yorker, March 8th this year...

Quote from: "The New Yorker"
The Back Page By Steve Martin

STUDIO SCRIPT NOTES ON "THE PASSION"

Dear Mel,

We love, love the script! The ending works great. You'll be getting a call from use to start negotiations for the book rights.

-- Love the Jesus character. So likable. He can't seem to catch a break! We identify with him because of it. One thing: I think we need to clearly state "the rules." Why doesn't he use his superpowers to save himself? Our creative people suggest that you could simply cut away to two spectators:

SPECTATOR ONE
Why doesn't he use his superpowers to save himself?

SPECTATOR TWO
He can only use his powers to help others, never himself

-- Does it matter which garden? Gethsemane is hard to say, and Eden is a much more recognizable garden. Just thinking out loud.

-- Our creative people suggest a clock visual fading in and out in certain scenes, like the Last Supper bit: "Thursday, 7:43 p.m.," or "Good Friday, 5:14 p.m."

-- Love the repetition of "Is it I?" Could be very funny. On the eighth inquiry, could Jesus just give a little look of exasperation into the camera? Breaks frame, but could be a riot.

-- Also, could he change water into wine in Last Supper scene? Would be a great moment, and it's legit. History compression is a movie tradition and could really brighten up the scene. Great trailer moment, too.

-- Love the flaying.

-- Could the rabbis be Hispanic? There's lots of hot Latino actors now, could give us a little zing at the box office. Research says there's some historical justification for it.

-- Possible title change: "Lethal Passion." Kinda works. The more I say it out loud, the more I like it.

-- Is there someplace where Jesus could be using an iBook? You know, now that I say it, it sounds ridiculous. Strike that. But think about it. Maybe we start a shot in Heaven with Jesus thoughtfully closing the top?

-- Love the idea of Monica Bellucci as Mary Magdalene (yow!). Our creative people suggest a name change to Heather. Could skew our audience a little younger.

-- Love Judas. Such a great villain. Our creative people suggest that he's a little complicated. Couldn't he be one thing? Just bad? Gives the movie much more of a motor. Also, thirty pieces of silver is not going to get anyone excited. I think it'd be very simple to make him a "new millionaire." Bring in the cash on a tray. Great dilemma that the audience can identify with.

-- Minor spelling error: on page 18, in the description of the bystanders, there should be a space between the words "Jew" and "boy".

-- Merchandising issue: it seems the Cross image had been done to death and is public domain -- we can't own it. Could the Crucifixion scene involve something else? A Toyota would be wrong, but maybe there's a shape we can copyright, like a wagon wheel?

-- I'm assuming "The dialogue is in Aramaic" is a typo for "American". If not, call me on my cell, or I'm at home all weekend.

By the way, I'm sending a group of staffers on a cruise to the North Pole, coincidentally around the time of your picture's release. Would love to invite your dad!

See you at the movies!

Yours,
Stan

Secondly, I submit to you: Father Ted was over-appreciated shite. I am not able to back this up with any other argument then that I was bored to tears whenever I gave it a chance which was a few times. It was as clever as it was funny. At least to me.

It's safe in Martin's hands. If anything, he'll improve it.

NobodyGetsOutAlive

First of all, that article was atrocious.

Second of all, you're talking shite

Quote from: "Artemis"I submit to you the following:

Firstly, Steve Martin is back on form.

Oh yes, racist comedy Bringing Down The House is sure to go down as one of the best comedy movies of the decade. And Cheaper By The Dozen! A Tour de Force!!! Knocks The Three Amigos and Planes, Trains & Automobiles into a cocked hat.

Saying that, the article was enjoyable.

QuoteSecondly, I submit to you: Father Ted was over-appreciated shite.

Father Ted is one of the greatest sitcoms of all time. Fact. I'm afraid I'm far too arrogant to allow a discussion on this point, it just is and you are wrong.

No hard feelings though. winky.

Artemis

Quote from: "NobodyGetsOutAlive"First of all, that article was atrocious.

Wow, you got me there. Good one.

Ok look, perhaps he's not as good as he used to be (Planes Trains is still one of my funniest movies ever) but BowFinger was alright, I thought and everything he's written recently has made me chuckle quite a lot.

For me, Father Ted just wasn't very funny and not really very good at all. It worked for some people and that's great but for me it was dull. Martin has a good chance of making me laugh so let's give him a go. What's the worst that could happen? Another bad American show?

Neil

I agree it's not that great, I certainly don't see it as proof that he's "on form" again.  The article just keeps banging away at the same gag (it's set a couple of thousand years ago, so it'd be dead funny if there were, like, Volvos and that in it!  And people wearing digital watches!  And maybe Jesus could zip about on a sccoter!)

Steve Martin and Graham Norton doing Father Ted will be an improvement?  I very much doubt it...christ only knows what episodes you saw.

NobodyGetsOutAlive

Quote from: "Artemis"
Quote from: "NobodyGetsOutAlive"First of all, that article was atrocious.

Wow, you got me there. Good one.

The article was lazy at best. He seemd to be cramming all his 'jokes' in at once, gags which were fairly obvious and lazy anyway.

And I can't be arsed to go on about how good Father Ted was and about how much will be lost in translation with this remake right now but I'm sure it's fairly obvious anyway

Artemis

Ok well I don't really feel too strongly on the subject so it's not something I can be bothered to 'defend' or whatever, just the vague feeling I have on both the programme and Steve Martin.

Sexton Brackets Drugbust

Pissing shit cakes.  The American fuck oven has got its talons into another.  How are they going to piss on this parade then, just think of the million and one ways they could misunderstand this?  If Dougal is an irritating camp buffoon, whats going to happen to the rest? Cuddly black father Jack and sexy Mrs Doyle?  These things should be put in large boxes marked 'Leave well enough alone and carry on making your wise-cracking one-liner buddy-comedies".  Is there any way this could just be a big silly joke?

I don't believe this. I cant find anything else about it out there.

Mister Six

Steve Martin would be fine.

Graham Norton considerably less so.

neveragain

How can anyone say they didn't enjoy Father Ted? I've never met anyone who said they didn't like it (and I have many intelligent friends so nerr). To claim that it is 'shite' is tantamount to misunderstanding what comedy is. Which comedy programmes do you enjoy then Artemis, hmm?

And, also, main thread point answer-response - NO!

GoochDogHigh5s

My God, whatever next?

Martin playing Bilko??!!

Goldentony

argh steve martin you welping cunt

NobodyGetsOutAlive

Quote from: "Munday's Chylde"I don't believe this. I cant find anything else about it out there.

Tonight I was in the pub for the weekly quiz and the flyer question (one off question in the middle of the quiz - 1 team gets it right and wins x bottles of wine, 2 teams get it right and wins 1/2 x bottles of wine, 3 teams get it right and the wine isn't won and is instead  increased for next week) was "Who is playimng Father Ted in the u'sremake and getting 500,000 dollars (or whatever) per episode?"

And about 5 teams got the right answer.

I'm afraid the incident during your pub quiz isn't enough evidence for me.

Jemble Fred

The general disbelief on here is a bit silly, as there have been two threads about the US remake already - but this casting is.... a shock.

Saddest of all is the poster above who said 'Surely they need Linehan and Mathews' permission?' They pocketed the cash a long long time ago, and, to my knowledge, have nothing else to do with it.

DOWN WITH THIS SORT OF THING!

Artemis

Quote from: "neveragain"To claim that it is 'shite' is tantamount to misunderstanding what comedy is.

Don't be absurd.

Quote from: "neveragain"Which comedy programmes do you enjoy then Artemis, hmm?

Does it matter? Do I have to fulfill a certain criteria that meets your standards or perception of 'decent comedy' in order to be entitlted to or express an opinion on a particular programme? Don't be so sensitive about it - fact is, there are always going to be shows that some people hold up to be close to as good as it gets which other people either don't like or don't get - that's ok, just let it go. You like it, good for you. I don't, fair enough. I may have been a bit harsh calling it shite but for goodness sake, don't take it to heart. :)

neveragain

I completely agree with you. My comment was absurd (and unnecessarily protective over a programme I have no involvement in). People have opinions that differ from others' - it doesn't matter. Makes no difference. I apologise. Please forgive.