Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 12:16:33 PM

Login with username, password and session length

The Second Annual Tumbleweed Awards - Results

Started by Neil, December 14, 2006, 03:37:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Neil

That's it, the votes have been counted and verified and we can now bring you the results of the Second Annual Cook'd and Bomb'd Tumbleweed Awards.  Hooray.

Our thanks go once again to alan strang and Emergency Lalla Ward Ten from SOTCAA for the huge amount of work they put into the awards ceremony.

Many thanks also to everyone who voted and sent in comments, there was a really fantastic response this year, and we hope you enjoy the results.  Do use this thread, the Comedy Chat one, or the guestbook to let us know your opinions - if you disagree with a particular result, tell us why!  Don't just skulk off to another messageboard to bitch about us, come in and have a bit of a chat...

Enjoy.

Mr. Analytical

Great work guys... another fantastic job (even if I am disappointed that Tate didn't win anything).

actwithoutwords

By the way, in the arrivals section, is that a drawing of Arthur Matthews beside a paragraph about Graham Linehan?
The art is excellent though.

Waldo Jeffers

No, that's Graham Linehan. Arthur Mathews has no hair.

thugler

like last time, I think the whole thing comes across as a bit pretentious and sulky. Why not have awards for the good comedy as well. it seems to have the attitude that absolutely everything is completely shit.

Nicely presented thoughl.

rudi

Quote from: "thugler"like last time, I think the whole thing comes across as a bit pretentious and sulky. Why not have awards for the good comedy as well. it seems to have the attitude that absolutely everything is completely shit.

Ooh! Ooh! Can I go first?

Nim Nim Nimmy Nim...

Thanks!

12 quotes from Bert Thung though? - does that indicate he's become the voice of the consencus...........

That was great - made me laugh and cross in equal measure (although the extended Gervais thing was a bit hysterical and desperate to these eyes).

And I got two quotes snuck in! - I don't mind admitting it gave me a se...[snipped by the tired lad-jokes authority].

Neil

Quote from: "thugler"like last time, I think the whole thing comes across as a bit pretentious and sulky. Why not have awards for the good comedy as well. it seems to have the attitude that absolutely everything is completely shit.

What good comedy?!   There's a nice quote from Big Jack McBastard on the voters page:

Quote from: "Big Jack McBastard"Name a great or even a good comedy debut this year.

Have your eyes shot up to the top right as you scan your brain for one? Mine did, why? Because there were a couple of half decent ones and a slew of bullshit with some of the worst examples of last year's tripe being unfathomably picked up for another series. There is a lot of doom and gloom intrinsically embedded in the Tumbleweeds, but they would not exist if there were no reason for them. We may come across as nothing but naysayers, pessimists and comedy snobs but we truly aren't, we're hopeful and open, we are willing to accept... fuck we're eager to accept, we want good comedy, solid plots, capable acts, well written and thoroughly considered ideas, funny jokes and a lasting grin on our collective mush.

No-one wants one note hacks, shoddy scripts, catchphrase addicted peons and a feeling of resentment when they watch something which is supposed to be comedy and as long as they prevail we shall stand, naming the culprits of that kind of misguided garbage and shaming the worst offenders.

Furthermore, when people were making similar suggestions when this years awards got underway, I did stop to try and think what actual good shows there were this year.  The IT Crowd and That Mitchell And Webb Look were both shows I really enjoyed, still flawed though.  Aaaaand, that's it, really.  Was Peep Show series 3 this year?  I guess it was, what with the British Comedy Awards deciding to finally recognise it, desipte series 3 obviously being the worst of its run.  I've got the new Rich Hall thing taped on my freeview box, I'm sure I'll love that when I get round to watching it.  I'll probably really enjoy the second series of The Thick Of It too, but once again conclude that it really isn't all that funny.  And that's about it.  

A really terribly dismal year for British comedy.

Quote from: "rudi"
12 quotes from Bert Thung though? - does that indicate he's become the voice of the consencus...........

No, I didn't realise I'd used that many of his actually, I wanted to keep it around a maximum of 3 or 4 for each poster.  However, he'd ben kind enough to comment on every single category, and that came in very useful.  Things like Time Trumpet and TittyBangBang appeared so much that the choice of quotes got rather thing, even though there was a really great selection to choose from this year.  I'd have liked to have taken another run through the quotes once the voters page had finally been finished but, ah well.  

I think I'll do that now, in fact.  Last year we had bugger all submitted, so I had to cherrypick from the forum archives, whereas this year there were so many that they became very unwieldy.  I'll have a better idea of how to deal with them next year.

thugler

Quote from: "Neil"

What good comedy?!

I don't think it would matter if there was any or not, people on here would still slag off everything as if it's worse than cancer.

There were at least a couple of good shows, and if we are allowing american shows, a bunch of good ones.

Neil

Come on, if you're going to moan about us 'acting as if everything is completely shit' then you surely have to have a better argument than 'at least two shows weren't, actually.'

Eight Taiwanese Teenagers

I think it was a bit unfair to mock Daniel Kitson when the prevailing opinion on the board seems very positive.

Big Jack McBastard

Blimey quoted 4 times again!

Nicely done, great comments all.

butnut

Quote from: "Eight Taiwanese Teenagers"I think it was a bit unfair to mock Daniel Kitson when the prevailing opinion on the board seems very positive.

He must be next on SOTCAA's 'to do' list!

I actually think it would be brilliant if Kitson did end one of his shows by taking off his baggy jumper and revealing a Dinner Jacket underneath.

Mr. Analytical

Quote from: "Eight Taiwanese Teenagers"I think it was a bit unfair to mock Daniel Kitson when the prevailing opinion on the board seems very positive.

I thought that was one of the better and more biting jokes.  I thought it was quite nice to see them go after someone who is largely ignored by the meedja but praised by those knowledgeable about comedy.  It suggested that the Tumblies aren't just about picking fights with famous tossers.

By the way, are these being sent to agents and newspaper desks?

actwithoutwords

Quote from: "Waldo Jeffers"No, that's Graham Linehan. Arthur Mathews has no hair.

Bollix. I have had them the wrong way around for ten years now. Excellent.
I really should have googled to check. Ah well.

To be perfectly honest, and I feel bad criticising since so much work went into it, I didn't really enjoy it. While I agree with most of the sentiments expressed, and intensely dislike mostly the same people, the satire as a whole was just a bit deadening and heavy handed. There were a few laughs, but it was mostly just depressing. The problem with satirising comedy is that it has to be funnier than the subject it's attacking, and I'm not entirely sure a lot of that stuff was, frankly.
Excellent production values though.

actwithoutwords

Quote from: "Mr. Analytical"
 I thought that was one of the better and more biting jokes.

Which one? The tired and toothless accusation that somehow his desire to be on the fringes is underpinned by the same careerism as everyone else?
Or the factually inaccurate intimation that every night he does is an "off night", and that he never actually follows up with a show of genuinely funny and substantial material?

Mr. Analytical

Quote from: "actwithoutwords"
Which one? The tired and toothless accusation that somehow his desire to be on the fringes is underpinned by the same careerism as everyone else?
Or the factually inaccurate intimation that every night he does is an "off night", and that he never actually follows up with a show of genuinely funny and substantial material?

The second one.  It literally made me LOL.

rudi

QuoteNo, I didn't realise I'd used that many of his actually

Sorry neil - was only a lame gag, regarding the constant attacking of folks for following the concensus rather than being all brave and iconoclastic. Ahem.

Bert does give good quote and, oddly for a regular CC poster, can take a joke....

I thought the Kitson stuff was quite funny - hardly vicious, just a reflection of the apologists who counter any "I saw him, didn't like it" with "oh - you saw him THAT night? Well... etc etc".

Anyhoo - dinner's served. Yum...

NIce work chaps.
x

I tend to agree that everything you gave an award to deserved it, but you just look like a big hypocrite this time as it's obvious that you've tried to be funny yourself here.....and failed.

By the way "Colin's Crabsticks Max"?? Did Joel Veitch give you a hand with that nugget of unfunnyness?

Shoulders?-Stomach!

The 2005 awards tried to be funny as well. I don't personally see why failing to be funny somehow undermines your ability to criticize comedy. You might be no musician, so by your standards you wouldn't have a right to discuss music. I don't work in television, so do I have a right to say what is good TV and what is bad TV?

That's exactly the type of reply I expected. It'd just make a better point if the protest against bad comedy was fueled with some genuine humour from the folks who act like they know best.

Still Not George

Are you by any chance one of that swarm of people that insist that comedy is, like, subjective and, like, everyone likes different things don't they?

Cos if you are, then you're a hypocrite, and if you're not, then you're missing the point. The primary focus of the Tumblies is to showcase shit comedy, not to draw attention to the comedy stylings of messers Lalla and Strang.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Quote from: "littlewickersham"That's exactly the type of reply I expected. It'd just make a better point if the protest against bad comedy was fueled with some genuine humour from the folks who act like they know best.

Tricky situation. They're the ones with the tools and the will to do it, but they'd probably take an even more bitter backlash if they didn't try to lighten the tone of it with some humour. I think they've been cornered into this because it's already easy for people to say to them "Oh you don't like anything", "Don't you have a sense of humour" etc.

I'll let them answer their own cause anyway, that's just my take of it. As of the sketch attempts in the Tumblies- some worked better than others comedically, but they all got the point across, the most important thing.

rudi

And I'd imagine it's mot the easiest thing in the world to maintain a lightly humorous atmosphere when the central reason for delivering the Tumblies is, by their very nature, relentlessly negative.

renton

i liked peep show series 3, green wing series 2, time trumpet. i dont know why everyone keeps complaining about them. Okay, so they arent that amazing (except peep show, whcih is practically perfect) but id say they are easily some of the best telly ive watched in about 5 years

Oscar

Quote from: "renton"Okay, so they arent that amazing (except peep show, whcih is practically perfect) but id say they are easily some of the best telly ive watched in about 5 years
I think everyone is complaining because the "best telly...in years" is also "not amazing". They want the best telly to be amazing and are going to kick and wail until it is. Presumeably when at least some telly is fantastic there will be no need for Tumblies.

Famous Mortimer

Apart from thinking Andy Parsons (the most stunningly unfunny standup currently employed as a panel show guest) should have won his category, the Awards were uniformly excellent. Well done all!

mayer

The below is obviously coloured by the fact that I think that both strangy, and to lesser extent Lalla, are small-minded careerist hack bullies, but at the same time, I think it's all true, and relevant, so here goes.

It's amusing in places, the Tumblies, but the problem is that the more of the Lalla/strang canon I'm exposed to the more I get the impression that it's all very one-note, in style and content.

I adored the NB parody, but parody is all these men can do. And in the same style (both the catchphrase laden 'ey lads' language and those hackneyed images that almost embarassingly hark back to past work in their similarity).

Have you tried something that isn't a parody/putting words into the mouths of others 'with hilarious consequences'? I mean, Morris at least attempted to stretch himself a little with a wander into sitcom, but you both seem unwilling to try even that.

All your work you've made available on VWs, which smacks of being an attempted stepping stone to future success, either as comedians or critics, is hungover with the air of being rather forced comment, without any writing of comedy for the sake of comedy and the love of comedy.

Your work is necessarily reactive/reactionary, because without any joy (or emotions beyond a heady mix of self-love and resentment) in your hearts, reacting to other art is the most you can muster, isn't it?

Quote from: "as in the Tumblies, alan and Lalla, after a little bitch session, posted up online in order to engage in a bit of bullying and gallery-playing"
Fuck 'em.

mayer

Spolier? I sad "that was me" on the post on the thread, you wally?

Stop being a coward and use your own login eh?

And, people, get over it. Fragile finished in 2005, like it says!