Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 12:02:10 PM

Login with username, password and session length

soundtracks

Started by splattermac, February 03, 2004, 11:47:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

splattermac

We've had this thread before, more than once even, but I just wanted to mention one in particular

David Byrne - Lead us not into temptation

former Talking Heads front man David Byrne scored the recent Scottish film Young Adam, which I've not seen, but I saw it online and having had a few listens its very pleasant, nothing spectacular but a nice instrumental album.

QuoteLead Us Not Into Temptation is the soundtrack to the movie Young Adam, and though it's pretty safe to say you'll never see the movie, as an album, it stands up quite well on its own. The music is dour, of course; it's arty and bleak and devoid of words. For recording, Byrne recruited members of such hip Scottish bands Belle & Sebastian, Mogwai and The Delgados to help him out, and though the music never sounds like any of those bands, Lead Us Not Into Temptation is an album that is full of the same kind of dour, sad atmosphere not unlike those bands. (No loud screeching post-rock, thank goodness.) At times, the music is almost ambient in nature, with a piano twinkle here and there that recalls Harold Budd in only the best of ways. Of course, with the beatnik/arty nature of the film, I'm reminded a lot more of Angelo Badalemanti; it's hard not to listen to "Seaside Smokes" and "Inexorable" and not think of Twin Peaks. No vocals appear until the last two tracks, "Speechless" (which should rightly be called "Incoherent," as you can't understand Byrne's vocals) and "The Great Western Road." Though not particularly memorable, they sound like a fairly strong imitation of Arab Strap.
from http://www.mundanesounds.com/reviews/b/david_byrne-lead_us_not_into_temptation.html

- - -
the soundtrack to Lost in Translation  didn't work for me before I saw the film, I had it and got rid, saw the film and craved another listen to the soundtrack, which now works, anyone else find that? I thought the choice of Jesus and Mary Chain's 'just like honey' was perfect for the closing scene.

- - -

anyways, I just wanted to mention the Byrne/Scottish bands one

Neil

I must get the David Holmes soundtrack to Out Of Sight, I remmeber taking a bird to see that and my foot didn't stop tapping the whole way through the movie.  He used to be good, I will have to queue his old albums actually.

Smackhead Kangaroo

The sound track to the series Cowboy Bebop is rather good. only people who know will understand *sigh*
Philistines

european son

Quote from: "Smackhead Kangaroo"The sound track to the series Cowboy Bebop is rather good. only people who know will understand *sigh*
Philistines

sorry, i'm a little drunk and tired, but what d'you mean by "people who know"...?

d'you mean you and me and pretty much every other geeky teenage boy in the UK/US/Japan/Europe?

i like Tank!, so do you, so do lots of people. it doesn't make you big or clever.

Neville Chamberlain

I watched that cheesy, light-hearted, feel-good girlie flick Irréversible the other day (poptastic film by the way!) and I have to say I found the soundtrack there thoroughly discombobulating and disturbing - one of the best examples of a soundtrack working in total harmony with the film. Wasn't it by some bloke out of Daft Punk? It was present during almost all of the film I seem to remember, rumbling away in the background except, of course, during that scene...

TOCMFIC

Lost Highway is awesome. Lou Reed, Marilyn Manson, Rammstein, Barry Adamson... One of the best soundtracks ever made I think. Right up there with Natural Born Killer's (both of them were done by Trent Reznor).

Lost in Translation is a goodie.

I remember a weird phenomena in the late 80's. I never met anyone who had seen Top Gun AND owned the soundtrack. Knew plenty of people who'd bought the soundtrack without seeing the film, and vice versa. Very odd.

Must give major props to "Better Off Dead" too. Awesome soundtrack.

elderford

Yes, The Diddy Byrne soundtrack is corking, have you got his "Catherine Wheel " one? Not strictly a soundtrack as it is for a dance piece. Interesting rhythms, also has "What a Day That Was" on it (the one on Stop Making Sense)

I would, at the risk of receiving a good kicking, have to recommend Magnolia soundtrack.

Not forgeting the Dust Brothers Fight Club one as well, although it is poncey as it describes itself as a score when it is just twatting about in the studio with electronica.

TOCMFIC

It's still the score for the movie though. And yes, it is great. The opening title sequence music is one of the finest opening themes (not to mention the actual titles in the movie are superb) of any movie I think.

Rubbish Monkey

I have always like the soundtrack to The Bonecollector by Craig Armstrong, then again i like most of Craig Armstrong's stuff - if not all of it.

Currently though I have on the Suspiria soundtrack. Ohh this thread has just reminded me that I was downloading the Gangs of New York soundtrack before it crashed on me wiping out my list of downloads.

elderford

...but of course:

Phillip Glass: Koyaanisqatsi

...go on then,

Paul McCartney: Live and Let Die
(die screaming Aha, Garbage, Sheena Easton, Madonna, et al)

Vermschneid Mehearties

Anyone seen the movie Orbital's Octane album is used for?

Smackhead Kangaroo

Quote from: "european son"sorry, i'm a little drunk and tired, but what d'you mean by "people who know"...?.

And stupid apparently

Quote from: "european son"d'you mean you and me and pretty much every other geeky teenage boy in the UK/US/Japan/Europe?

Not round here. I can't think of more than one perosn who's seen it among tthe people I know. Ha localisation that is.

Quote from: "european son"i like Tank!, so do you, so do lots of people. it doesn't make you big or clever.

There was no suggesiton of that, but I'll just add explicitly.

I AM BIG AND CLEVER.

Now fuck off

european son

Quote from: "Smackhead Kangaroo"And stupid apparently

as i've told you before Smacky, i'm something of a genius. careful.

Quote from: "Smackhead Kangaroo"Now fuck off

how about i don't? and instead i just carry on the thread? thanks.

my favourite soundtracks are those that mix great original instrumental music with brilliant pop songs. i'm thinking specificially of Lost In Translation and the aforementioned Lost Highway here. gotta agree with you splat about using the JAMC, but i especially loved MBV's "Sometimes" when the car's driving along.

also, on the old board i started a nerdy DIY Donnie Darko Soundtrack thread, where if you look around  you can make a brilliant CD of the pop music from that movie cut with the score.

for soundtracks all of original stuff, you can't beat Angel Badalamenti, especially on the TP and FWWM soundtracks.

splattermac

Quote from: "Jim"I watched that cheesy, light-hearted, feel-good girlie flick Irréversible the other day (poptastic film by the way!) and I have to say I found the soundtrack there thoroughly discombobulating and disturbing - one of the best examples of a soundtrack working in total harmony with the film. Wasn't it by some bloke out of Daft Punk? It was present during almost all of the film I seem to remember, rumbling away in the background except, of course, during that scene...

I'm too scared to watch the movie, a couple of my mates said they wished they could unsee it.

It was Thomas Bangalter that did the soundtrack, Rectum is a class piece and I'd be interested to see the scenes for - Outrun - Night Beats and the pumping Outrage, rightclicksavetargetas  it's all very French.

Re the other David Byrne soundtracks, I can't say I've heard them or even of them, apart from Stop making sense. If they come recommended then I'll have a listen.

Gazeuse

John Barry, Midnight Cowboy innit?!?

TOCMFIC

Midnight Cowboy is great. Great film, fucking CLASSIC soundtrack.

Was actually pleased Faith No More did such a good job with their cover version.

Can't believe no one's mentioned the American Beauty score yet.. best soundtrack ever.

Lost In Translation has it's moments, isn't fantastic.

Donnie Darko obviously.

Fly Away Home (that crap film with Anna Paquin and Jeff Bridges) is very good too.

mangoliver

Ghost Dog - The Way of the Samurai

Put together by RZA of Wu-Tang, suits the movie perfectly.

//www.ghostdogsoundtrack.com/

gazzyk1ns

Vangelis soundtracks are good, they did Blade Runner and Chariots of fire (just posted a track from that in the song du jour thread).

fanny splendid

Quote from: "DevlinC"Can't believe no one's mentioned the American Beauty score yet.. best soundtrack ever.

The same guy did 'Meet Joe Black' and is also very good. Thomas somebody?

QuoteLost In Translation has it's moments, isn't fantastic.

Donnie Darko obviously.

I just watched these again, this afternoon, and although I think I prefer LIT, DD is very good.

Close Encounters of the Third Kind is good. John Williams, I think?

blue jammer

187 (Samuel L. Jackson) has a fantastic soundtrack, full of Massive Attack and the likes, very dubby, combined with the beautiful colouring in the film = heaven.

butnut

(I don't know if these all count as 'soundtracks' as some of these are specially composed scores, but fuck it)

Almost anything by Bernard Hermann (but Vertigo's the best)
Blue Velvet
The Elephant Man
Mullholand Drive - in fact Lynch is just great in almost all his films
The Wicker Man
Once Upon a Time in the West (the only film I know of where they recorded the music before the shoot, and got the actors to act in time with it)
8 1/2 (Nina Rota's scores for Fellini are wonderful)
Ring (the Jap version - all I can remember is that creepy metallic noise)
Amadeus (a bit of a cheat)

Oh god, there's loads more, but I can't think of them.

european son

Quote from: "butnut"Mullholand Drive - in fact Lynch is just great in almost all his

granted Lynch's lyrics and the little bits of music (The Pink Room) are great, but you've gotta give Angelo Badalementi the credit he's due.

fanny splendid

Quote from: "butnut"(I don't know if these all count as 'soundtracks' as some of these are specially composed scores, but fuck it)
The Wicker Man

Ah yes, how could I forget? An excellent soundtrack.

Here, have some Corn Rigs (Studio Version) and a bit of The Landlords Daughter (Movie Version)

butnut

Quote from: "european son"
Quote from: "butnut"Mullholand Drive - in fact Lynch is just great in almost all his

granted Lynch's lyrics and the little bits of music (The Pink Room) are great, but you've gotta give Angelo Badalementi the credit he's due.

Sorry Angelo - please forgive my oversight.

Quote from: "fanny splendid"Ah yes, how could I forget? An excellent soundtrack.

Here, have some Corn Rigs (Studio Version) and a bit of The Landlords Daughter (Movie Version)

Cheers matey!

weekender

I've double checked, and no-one appears to have mentioned Tarantino soundtracks as yet.  Reservoir Dogs, Pulp Fiction, Jackie Brown and Kill Bill volume 1 are all great.

Frinky

A bit tenous, I guess, but I really like the 28 Days Later soundtrack. Pity one of the best tracks ended up on a sodding Peugoet advert, the gits. I love it, the Grandaddy track in the middle is delightfully at odds with the rest of it.

Wrigby

How about Repo Man? This was my first exposure to the 80 US undrground, and watching it again recently has spurred me to looking for a copy of the S/T...

My favourite moments have to be

Iggy Pop - Repo Man
Black Flag - TV Party
Circle Jerks - When The Shit Hits The Fan (I thought they were a 'joke' band when I first saw the film)

And not forgetting...
Burning Sensations - Pablo Picasso
Originally by the Modern Lovers, but still a classic cover

Well some people try to pick up girls And get called assholes
This never happened to Pablo Picasso
He could walk down your street
And girls could not resist his stare and
So Pablo Picasso was never called an asshole

TOCMFIC

Quote from: "weekender"I've double checked, and no-one appears to have mentioned Tarantino soundtracks as yet.  Reservoir Dogs, Pulp Fiction, Jackie Brown and Kill Bill volume 1 are all great.

Kill Bill: Don't like most of the soundtrack, but it has some badass tracks. (The one that plays when we see Lucy Liu's character walking down the corridor with her entourage springs to mind.

Pulp Fiction: Hate the movie, but the soundtrack is good.

Reservoir Dogs: I hear the first bar of "Stuck in the Middle with You" and I automatically pictures Mr. Blonde... And "Little Green Bag"... The intro playing over the slow motion at the start of the credits... Film making doesn't get much better than that, nor does music choice. Add in Stephen Wright as the DJ... Perfection:)

An obscure one for you all: Hardware. Lots of moody instrumental stuff, some Public Image Limited, Ministry  etc... And Iggy Pop as "Angry Bob" the DJ. (This is Angry Bob, the guy with the industrial dick.) Not to mention a brief chunk of dialogue from Lemmy of Motorhead:)

fanny splendid

Quote from: "TOCMFIC"An obscure one for you all: Hardware. Lots of moody instrumental stuff, some Public Image Limited, Ministry  etc... And Iggy Pop as "Angry Bob" the DJ. (This is Angry Bob, the guy with the industrial dick.) Not to mention a brief chunk of dialogue from Lemmy of Motorhead:)

And Carl McCoy out of the Fields of the Nephilim as the stranger at the beginning. Richard Stanley, who directed the movie is old chums with Carl, and also directed the Nephilim's videos.