Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 24, 2024, 02:54:39 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Celebrity Big Brother 2007.

Started by TraceyQ, January 01, 2007, 05:10:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shoulders?-Stomach!

I just wonder how many people who bought The Sun today thought "Hah! That showed them, good on you The Sun!"

Mr Wrong

Quote from: "mothman"Channel 4's line now seems to be that since they didn't mean to say those things, they just slipped out in the heat of the moment, and so they're not really racist. In other words, there can be no racism without intent to be racist. Which is bollocks.
It's a tangled web. The highlights shows  were, of course, edited daily. So if that is true, then, why edit them to appear otherwise -unless they knowingly cultivated the racial bulling narrative, in which case they themselves must surely be culpable.

I like that they're in a sticky mess though. Just think, they might actually have to admit (for once) that midst their heedless ambition and indecorous tin-rattling, things might have gotten a bit carried away; and for all the shrugging-off and down-playing from the Channel 4 chief last night, in his trendy-teacher garb, we all know now that when the heat is on he'll surely revert to type and stonewall-away with the best in all Westminster.  "...yes we like one type of controversy but not another thank you very much, now run along and pap Jade vomiting!"

ziggy starbucks

those kids should be careful, that pikey will have all their wallets.

p.s. what is a spic? I've never heard of one.

Quote from: "ziggy starbucks"p.s. what is a spic? I've never heard of one.

Latino/Mexican I think.

Mr. Wrong, have you been reading Grace Dent?

Mr Wrong

Quote from: "ziggy starbucks"those kids should be careful, that pikey will have all their wallets.

Nice one Mr Lonley, just post any old crap on what ever thread is at the top of the list.

Mr Wrong

Quote from: "SteveLampkins"

Latino/Mexican I think.

It's the other way around. She spies on CAB.

ziggy starbucks

Quote from: "Mr Wrong"
Quote from: "ziggy starbucks"those kids should be careful, that pikey will have all their wallets.

Nice one Mr Lonley, just post any old crap on what ever thread is at the top of the list.

will do

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Quotep.s. what is a spic? I've never heard of one

Gah, now The Sun are teaching people new racist terms!

It took me a while until I understood coon and yid to be racist terms (I think I was probably 16 or something embarrassing like that), though it's not as if I was going around saying them all the time.

Mr Wrong

Quote from: "Mr Wrong"
Quote from: "SteveLampkins"

Latino/Mexican I think.

It's the other way around. She spies on CAB.

Let us not forget Ms Dent  proves herself, by nature, a hack, so she's not above panning along any side of the river -we saw as much last summer; and notice the Chris Morris boxes she always after ticking. Her position on Big Brother is often amusing but always reliably hypocritical, featuring the hack-staple of simultaneous endorsement and condemnation of the same thing.

She'll look after her own though...

This is all Grace had to say about one of her lot's time in the house, who unsurprisingly proved charmless, voluble, and unpopular with viewers:
Quote from: "Grace Dent"In a head-to-head between a columnist and Face from the A-Team, it's little surprise when Carole is spewn down the steps receiving the same muddy carpet of boos and cheers that almost everyone leaving and entering the house receives these days.

Let's hope in time for BB8 they find a totally new way of putting people in and out of the house...I'll miss Carole. She was dry, witty, calm-headed and at least led the conversation into some intelligent places.

Note: no ammunition spent on Carol's appearance, etiquette, or activities -nor even one reference to Terrahawks.

So, yes, you're right, I do read Grace Dent's blog, but only fastidiously.

gatchamandave

Quote from: "Identity Crisis Ahoy!"So. Um... how do The Sun justify this headline?

(picture)

and  tomorrow  Littlejohn  will  lead  with "  Why  don't  they  all  wear  different  coloured  stars  on  their  coats ? "

Sadness

Are Channel 4 not going to show the last day highlights this year?

If so why not? That can be the most enjoyable highlights show, as each housemate leaves one by one and then the scanning of the empty house with well reverbed quotes from the previous month.

Why not this year eh??

Mr Wrong

Quote from: "Sadness"Are Channel 4 not going to show the last day highlights this year?

If so why not? That can be the most enjoyable highlights show, as each housemate leaves one by one and then the scanning of the empty house with well reverbed quotes from the previous month.

Why not this year eh??
Because they're all pretending to be in rehab.
Like there's a racism wing at the priory anyway.

gazzyk1ns

Is it just because it ended on a Sunday? I can't remember any previous series ending on a Sunday. If they did then... well, heh, scratch that.

Private Eye's coverage of the press coverage in the Street of Shame column is utterly magnificent.  There's something from the Daily Mail which made me laugh pretty hard.  It's an example of where they tried to jump on the anti-racism* bandwagon but got what they wanted to say the wrong way round, with what they actually did say being congruent with the paper's editorial line.

*just as I typed that I was reminded of those black and white wristbands, remember them anyone?  Don't tell me that people were just wearing them for fashion reasons and not taking in the "real" message.

Mr Wrong

Quote from: "aaaaaaaaaargh!"There's something from the Daily Mail...It's an example of where they tried to jump on the anti-racism* bandwagon .

Normal service was returned yesterday though, thanks to those naughty Muslims.

Ja'moke

Quote from: "gazzyk1ns"Is it just because it ended on a Sunday? I can't remember any previous series ending on a Sunday. If they did then... well, heh, scratch that.

CBB3 ended on a Sunday. And apparently CBB never have Final Day highlights which is a bit strange.

Ambient Sheep

'snot fair, I wanted to see the domino run they did.

Huzzie

The Duck Man

Has Heat's front cover been discussed on here yet? I saw it in Birmingham New Street's WHSmith and was really rather disgusted.

On the front it has a picture of a post-crying Jade with "The most shocking celebrity interview you'll ever read" then various bulleted revelations. Then on the bottom it had "Jade did not receive payment for this interview."

Now, I know the tabloids have been doing things along these lines - "Jade to seek therapy" etc. but this is worse. For one, giving her the interview in the first place almost vindicates her behaviour, as though it's alright as long as she's given a sorry interview. It's not as if it's an eating disorder, or a "my drugs hell" thing. The not paid thing kind of makes it worse, as it emphasises the fact they're giving free space to a racist to seem redemption. I don't want to hear about "shocking" she is - a word which implies that she's here to stay, that her status is unaffected - I want her out of the public sphere.

Egyptian Feast

I saw that in Tesco the other day. Isn't one of the bullet points something like 'I'll Clean Toilets For A Living'? I don't think Jade and her people understand that we don't want her to say sorry, we just want her to fuck off. Permanently.

Cupid Stunt

Quote from: "Egyptian Feast"Isn't one of the bullet points something like 'I'll Clean Toilets For A Living'?

It's "stack shelves".  Obviously cleaning toilets is beneath her.  It's just something she spits at pakis.

Mr Wrong

ATTENTION!
Nobody get burglarised today because the police might be too busy...

Quote from: "Daily Star"Jermaine in frame: NEW Big Bro race row

03/02/07
EXCLUSIVE

CELEBRITY Big Brother star Jermaine Jackson is to be quizzed by police after being accused of making a racist comment about Jade Goody’s mum.

The Jackson Five singer was stunned to discover he is being dragged into the Channel 4 show race probe because he called Jackiey Budden “white trash”.

He is one of seven housemates to face questioning over allegations of racist comments. If police decide there is a case to answer, he could end up in court.

And convictions for inciting racial hatred can result in seven-year jail sentences.

Jermaine, 52 â€" brother of superstar Michael Jackson, 48 â€" is usually mild-
mannered.

But viewers complained when he spoke out against loudmouthed Jackiey, 48. They said the expression “white trash” could be seen as racist against white people and that he should be hauled over the coals.

Now police in Hertfordshire are having to question him.

Self-confessed “one-armed lesbo” Jackiey will be delighted. When she was evicted from the show, she spat: “The only person I heard make a racist remark while I was in Celebrity Big Brother was Jermaine Jackson.”

Police yesterday refused to name the other contestants they will question.
But we can reveal that they are: Jackiey herself; daughter Jade, 25; S Club singer Jo O’Meara, 27; A Team actor Dirk Benedict, 61.

Scouse model Danielle Lloyd, 23, has already been quizzed after she came forward voluntarily...

Your moment of Zen:
"But viewers complained when he spoke out against loudmouthed Jackiey, 48. They said the expression “white trash” could be seen as racist against white people and that he should be hauled over the coals."

Shoulders?-Stomach!

QuoteAnd convictions for inciting racial hatred can result in seven-year jail sentences.

Yeah, I'm sure Jermaine will be so scared.

Marv Orange

She is white

and she is trash

charges dropped.

I can say that coz i is white.

Quote from: "The Duck Man"

Now, I know the tabloids have been doing things along these lines - "Jade to seek therapy" etc. but this is worse. For one, giving her the interview in the first place almost vindicates her behaviour, as though it's alright as long as she's given a sorry interview. It's not as if it's an eating disorder, or a "my drugs hell" thing. The not paid thing kind of makes it worse, as it emphasises the fact they're giving free space to a racist to seem redemption. I don't want to hear about "shocking" she is - a word which implies that she's here to stay, that her status is unaffected - I want her out of the public sphere.

Crikey! I know there isn't a world war on or anything, but people really need to be reunited with a sense of proportion, don't you think? Is this what it takes to ignite the nations passions these days? Two bints on a reality show going at it hammer and tongs?
I'm trying to remember a series of BB that didn't involve some bullying. Jodie Marsh certainly copped it far worse last year.
Then I try to equate the hysteria with the perceived racist nature of her insults, but short of her declaring that all Indians should be wiped off the face of the earth, I don't see how the reaction is in any way proportionate.
Saying "Shilpa Poppadom" and talking in a mock Indian accent is now deserving of an entire nations venomous scorn, and gives us all the green light to mock her upbringing, her accent, her class, her intelligence, her looks, her lack of talent etc etc etc?
Can someone who has distanced themselves from this ugly media frenzy please explain to me the rational behind this, and why we aren't all being giant over agitated hypocritical dickheads.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Quotemock her upbringing, her accent, her class, her intelligence, her looks, her lack of talent etc etc etc?

Weren't we doing that anyway, a few years back?

Neil

I think it's a cumulative thing, possibly.  She was a massive bullying cunt in BB3, and had to be helped out by the producers because she quickly became 'the most hated woman in Britain.'  Then, evidentally, she was a massive bullying cunt in Back To Reality.  Now, she's been a massive bullying cunt in CBB.  Boiling it down to 'Shilpa Poppadom' is very reductive...I found that massive row she had extremely unpleasant viewing.  It's also overlooking the way she behaved with Ken, incidentally.

Nah, more realistcally, what you're seeing now is people reacting to PR dicks trying to pull the wool over their eyes.  Everyone knows that John Noel is trying to portray Jade as the victim in order to turn her back into a money-spinner, and people, rightly I think, seem to mostly be saying 'oh fuck OFF!'

Here's the Back To Reality thing, haven't got round to watching it yet, but I did see one clip this week where she was going nuclear.  

Marv Orange

hah, any one just see the jade goody doll on tv burp?

Quote from: "Neil"

Nah, more realistcally, what you're seeing now is people reacting to PR dicks trying to pull the wool over their eyes.  Everyone knows that John Noel is trying to portray Jade as the victim in order to turn her back into a money-spinner, and people, rightly I think, seem to mostly be saying 'oh fuck OFF!'

Now that would make more sense, to direct our anger at the grubby little suits who pull the strings and make all the money.
I understand that the bullying was uncomfortable, but as I mentioned before it was certainly no worse than Jodie last year, and Victor and Emma a few years before that.
I think there is a kind of elitism going on too. I notice Jo and Danielle (who said worse things than Jade) have escaped most of the attacks.
I'm no Jade fan, but I can't help but marvel at the thick layers of irony that run through this whole escapade. You could make a new BES off the back of all this.

Little Hoover

I definatley think there's something in the accumlation, Neil was talking about.
She became so hated in BB3 for being a horrible, ignorant, bullying cunt in BB3, and millions were waiting for the cathartic relase of her being evicted, booed and her realising how hated she was before she fucked off back to obscurity. But that didn't happen,  a huge PR turnaround meant that suddenly she was loved and she was going to make more money than anyone else anyone, despite being one of the most hateful BB contestants ever, and in the years since, she's continued to be successful and make money despite her not really showing any admirable traits. So all the bottled up anger over this has finally been released, and got mixed up with race stuff.