Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 01:57:52 PM

Login with username, password and session length

European festivals 2007

Started by Abbatoir worker, January 05, 2007, 03:54:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Abbatoir worker

I have decided to take my life and sanity firmly in both hands and go to Exit festival in Serbia 11th - 17th July and fly directly (well, ok, via Budapest and Brussels) to Benicassim 18th - 23rd.

A friend is definitely meeting me for the Spanish leg but I might be doing Exit on my own (I have a couple of maybes).

I have been to neither before so any tips would be appreciated.

Feel free to use this thread to dicuss any other Eurofests you are considering this year...

Rubbish Monkey

I was toying with the idea of Benicassim*, but the thought of drowning in my own sweat while I slept isn't too appealing. I doubt I could afford it this year either.

*ive never been before either so I have no tips

CaledonianGonzo

Benicassim is great fun - but hot, hot, hot.

My top tip would be to not camp and try and get a room in the town.  As the bands are on all night, you get back to your tent just as the sun comes up, making any tent unbearably hot to sleep in.  In town, you're nearer the beach as well.  I'd start looking now, but if you've hired a car there are cheaper/less busy places further up the coast.  

I'd also look for flights ASAP, as prices to Valencia get steep quite quickly.  We flew to Madrid which was easily the cheapest option and just trained the rest of the way, which was easy enough to organise when we got there.

Last years line up was very much a mixed bag.  Fingers crossed for you that you don't travel all that way just to get confronted with The Kooks, The Ordinary Boys and their ilk.

Glebe

There are rumours that the Pixies may finally paly Australia this year. They're tipped for the V Festival there...

Abbatoir worker

Apparently it's not too bad if you sleep on the beach...my friends are getting an apartment in Valencia for two weeks and coming down to Beni for the festival, but we'll probably bolt back there one morning for a wash and a poo.  I'm trying to keep it as cheap and mental as possible so I will definitely be camping.  The line-up is kind of secondary to the whole experience, as long as there's one or two good people (which is bound to happen, surely?) I'll be happy.

CaledonianGonzo

Quote from: "Abbatoir worker"Apparently it's not too bad if you sleep on the beach...my friends are getting an apartment in Valencia for two weeks and coming down to Beni for the festival, but we'll probably bolt back there one morning for a wash and a poo. I'm trying to keep it as cheap and mental as possible so I will definitely be camping. The line-up is kind of secondary to the whole experience, as long as there's one or two good people (which is bound to happen, surely?) I'll be happy.

Och aye, you'll have a blast.  I had a great time, despite the fact that not much floated my musical boat (Pixies, Madness, Morrissey aside).  One of the best things about Beni is the toilet block in the festival itself.  Proper flushing toilets.  And the campsite has a large shower block, so getting a wash and a scrub up is no problem (and badly needed after night on the mad, mental Valencian mdma).

Sleeping on the beach...Folk were doing it, but you need to rent out a sunlounger and they tend to go very quickly.  Otherwise you're in the full, industrial-strength glare of the Spanish sun, and it's a braver man than me that does that (but then my pasty Scottish skin kinda renders that a bad idea).  If you're made of bronze, go for it!  

Otherwise, there's a lot of people sleeping in the shade in the verges and parks of the town.  The bar in the campsite is also a permanent building so offers shelter from the sun, but it ain't the nicest place to catch a few zeds (believe me on this.)

One thing that I did notice, which was kind of a pity, was that there didn't seem to be much intermingling between the international attendees (90% Brits) and the locals.  Luckily, we got the kilts on and there's no quicker way of getting surrounded by high-fiving Spanish blokes and senoritas handing out the gratis party favours.  So go kilted, that's my other top tip.  But then that's my top tip for going anywhere...

Abbatoir worker

Anyone who is considering Exit festtival please PM me - at the moment I am going on my own and I'm feeling a bit antsy about camping as a totally solo female.