Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 09:22:05 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Verbwhores' Radio Times

Started by 12 years, 11 months old, February 04, 2004, 12:00:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic
Imagine, if you will, an edition of the Radio Times edited entirely by the members of this forum. Entries for comedy in the TV listings would become hideously expanded, whilst the ITV column would dwindle away to almost nothing. Radio will be similarly improved, with extensive comedy footnotes and the purging of all references to Dead Ringers.

The letters page would feature correspondence on Gertrude Stein, John Cage and an endurance reality TV wanking challenge. News Agents would be forced to relocate the magazine to the top shelf after the editor's controversial placing of a Michael Jackson/goatse mong on the front cover.

Sales would plummet, the editors would be sacked. Alison Graham would resume her rein of middle-brow shiteness.

But imagine no more, for I am initiating this thread due to (some measure of) popular demand. Basically, stick your notifications of good or interesting stuff on the telly or radio on this thread. Think of it as 'links to cool programmes'.

Stick anything you like in, but hopefully stuff that you think other people might not have noticed.

Frinky

Bump in the hope of Stickyfying?

easytarget

On BBC7

Jeremy Hardy Speaks To The Nation  

Wed 4 Feb, 23:30 - 00:00  30 mins

How To Be An Adult: The estimable Mr Hardy launches us on the long journey towards maturity with this invaluable guide to adulthood.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/bbc7/

This is a really good show, Jeremy Hardy is brilliant.

There was a particularly good bit at the end of his show on Radio 4 last year in the question and answer section:

(after an audience member explained that you can get extra radio stations through your cable tv box)
JH: I could. Then I could put the telly on, listen to radio 7 and then stare at a blank screen, it'd be pointless but better than watching Dead Ringers
<audience cheers>
"Hello I'm Nigella Lawson", I'm glad you told me I wouldn't have had a bloody clue otherwise.

Ace.

Lt Plonker

BBC Four 09/02/04
Tetris: From Russia with Love
The story of how a simple computer game developed by a programmer at Moscow's Academy of Science prompted a global battle for financial rights with billions of dollars at stake.
Quoted from DigiGuide

Sounds really interesting and I shall be watching as soon as it comes onto BBC2. :(

NaN

it's times like these that i'm willing to get on my knees and pray for a decent non-digital exclusive show...

why? why must you mock me so?

steevbishop

This is a chuffing brilliant idea. Now I'll finally know what's worth watching/hearing, as I'm not a huge TV/radio-head these days. Monkey Dust is one of the few things I go out of my way to see these days.

imitationleather

Talk to the Hand
Every sodding night
Ftn
3.45am

Ah yes, this is what Freeview's all about. Simply appalling yoof discussion show presented by a scary looking woman with an afro and a less-convincing cockney accent than Jamie Oliver. Oh, they discuss all the issues! He's no good for you, drugs, double standards, fans of Westlife, it's all in there.

Every episode has a hippy type with pink hair who goes on about "healing people with colour" and how she was an outcast in drama school because "everyone was jealous of her". Yeah, that's right daahlin. It wouldn't have anything to do with you being one of the most annoying people alive and that every second spent in your company is more dangerous than taking a shower is Auschwitz, would it?

What's even funnier is that as you watch more and more episodes you see the same guests being repeated over and over again, but just with different names. And that's not all, throughout the show there are vox pops with people supposedly going about their business in town. Nothing strange about that, you may think, and you'd be right. But then you realise that they have all been on the show as guests in previous episodes!

Must see television. Watch it before Charlie Brooker writes about it in his column next week (hoho!).

Dr. Gizmonic

CHARLIE BROOKER! Oh, Zeppotron's favoured son, how thou hast fallen. Mind you, I still love him so.

Le Trotter Noir.
BBC 1
Friday, 9PM-Close

Controversial French art-house version of the classic grifter's sitcom. Del boy runs in slow motion on an elaborate treadmill comprised of aborted foetuses while Rodney masturbates Grandad to climax with a hollowed cucumber. Another blistering satire from directorial veteran Pierre 'Etension, ideal for fans of BBC2's "The Office".

Purple Tentacle

I am so fucking pissed off at that Tetris programme being stuck on BBC4, especially as when it finally gets round to being on BBC2 it will be broadcast at one in the morning.

Cunts, cunts.

Would someone be a dear and point out when it's coming on normal telly?

And didn't the BBC get into a load of shit for running Eastenders a day early on BBC Choice because they're a public service, and showing "exclusive" popular shows on digital before terrestrial was a breach of their remit?

Why doesn't this apply to decent programmes?

elderford

Get into the habit of listening to BBC Radio 4 comedy

Weekdays: 6.30pm

Saturday: 12.30pm

Here's a link for what's on and off air:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio4/comedy/

Well worth it as many of these programmes eventually transfer to BBC2 and it will give you a chance to lord it over all the johnny come latelys who foolishly believe that the television version is the first time the nation became aware of a programme.

You may continue listening to Heart FM the rest of the time.

Shaddock

The Tragic Roundabout

Alan Partridge 'bounces back' for this new series focusing CCTV-captured accident black spots at some of Britain's busiest roundabouts.

The format, put together by Partridge himself, includes interviews with maimed drivers or bereaved relatives.  Alan invites viewers with interactive remotes to join in by trying to identify the models of featured car wrecks, and guessing what music was likely to be on the stereo.

jutl

I think the point of this thread is to warn people about real programmes, not make up amusing pitches for non-existent ones. There was a thread for the latter on the old board - maybe someone should start another...

Tom Rad

Quote from: "Purple Tentacle"I am so fucking pissed off at that Tetris programme being stuck on BBC4, especially as when it finally gets round to being on BBC2 it will be broadcast at one in the morning.

Cunts, cunts.

Would someone be a dear and point out when it's coming on normal telly?

I''ll second that.

QuoteAnd didn't the BBC get into a load of shit for running Eastenders a day early on BBC Choice because they're a public service, and showing "exclusive" popular shows on digital before terrestrial was a breach of their remit?

Why doesn't this apply to decent programmes?

Why indeed? I'm not sure about this, but I was under the impression that Channel 4's public service remit requires them to broadcast the programs they have on their cable/digital channel E4 on the terrestial Channel 4 as well, eventually (cf. all their American comedy/drama imports like Friends and Six Feet Under which were first shown on E4 and then much later on C4). Is this right? And if it is, does it apply to the BBC, too?

Ambient Sheep

Quote from: "jutl"I think the point of this thread is to warn people about real programmes, not make up amusing pitches for non-existent ones.
Yes, but I thought the latter myself at first, as that's what the description looks like at first, it's only in the fourth paragraph that it becomes clear what the purpose is.  Perhaps some rearranging of the initial post (not yours, I know) would help.

Shaddock

Quote from: "Purple Tentacle"I am so fucking pissed off at that Tetris programme being stuck on BBC4, especially as when it finally gets round to being on BBC2 it will be broadcast at one in the morning.

Cunts, cunts.

A Freeview box (which will give you BBC4 forever) costs as little as £60 - the equivalent of ___ packets of fags.  ( Well I dunno, I don't smoke. )

Purple Tentacle

Quote from: "Shaddock"
Quote from: "Purple Tentacle"Cunts, cunts.

A Freeview box (which will give you BBC4 forever) costs as little as £60 - the equivalent of ___ packets of fags.  ( Well I dunno, I don't smoke. )[/b]

Hehe, you should work for Comic Relief.

"This is Purple Tentacle. He is without digital television. For just £60, he, and thousands like him, can watch Eastenders: Revealed! and Liquid News for up to 80 years. Next time you buy a packet of fags, think about Purple Tentacle."

As I've said before, I get a very very good terrestrial signal where I live, and due to over-compression thanks to the God and wanking channels I find the digital picture incredibly poor-quality, like bloody Realvideo.

[Major Misunderstanding] No sir, you can wave that can in my face all you want, you'll not get a penny out of me.

imitationleather

You can't watch Liquid News for much longer. It's been AXED!

*Swooshing axe sound effect*

Shaddock

Quote from: "Purple Tentacle"
Quote from: "Shaddock"
Quote from: "Purple Tentacle"Cunts, cunts.

A Freeview box (which will give you BBC4 forever) costs as little as £60 - the equivalent of ___ packets of fags.  ( Well I dunno, I don't smoke. )[/b]

Hehe, you should work for Comic Relief.

"This is Purple Tentacle. He is without digital television. For just £60, he, and thousands like him, can watch Eastenders: Revealed! and Liquid News for up to 80 years. Next time you buy a packet of fags, think about Purple Tentacle."

As I've said before, I get a very very good terrestrial signal where I live, and due to over-compression thanks to the God and wanking channels I find the digital picture incredibly poor-quality, like bloody Realvideo.

Well, Mr. Purple if you send me a private message with your address, I'll attempt to send you a video recording of the programme  -- my video timer works 9 times out of 10.

eric claptop

From Vic and Bob.net....
QuoteThe new 'make or break' R&M television project, Catterick, begins 15th February on BBC3

Rubbish Monkey

Just saw this advertised after 6ft under.... Saturday 7th and Sunday 8th February 2004, at 9pm Channel 4  Angels in America It has Al Pachino in it.... (although he over does it rather alot these days)

QuoteAl Pacino, Meryl Streep and Emma Thompson star in the $65M HBO epic event.

In 1998, the National Theatre selected Angels in America - performed as two full-length plays - as one of the ten best plays of the century, and author Tony Kushner was awarded a Pulitzer Prize after its triumphant Broadway production.

Directed by Mike Nichols (The Graduate, Silkwood, Primary Colours), this two-part, five-time Golden Globe winning six-hour film explores the sexual, racial, religious, political and social issues of the Reagan era.

Angels in America also stars Mary-Louise Parker, Jeffrey Wright, Justin Kirk and Ben Shenkman, with featured performances from British actors Michael Gambon and Simon Callow.

And here is the IMBD entry for it.

edit to insert times.

Dr. Gizmonic

Damn, the shows have to exist? Typical.

War at Sea
8 Feb 7:00 pm
BBC 2

Another excuse for genuine programming, the BBC produces yet another War Documentary from entirely the same perspective as the four thousand that preceded it. Narrated by the unbearable Professor Andrew Lambert, I'd only advise watching this if you have a masochistic desire to hear the story of "how plucky Britain drove back the Hun" again, you've been living in a 10x10ft steel box since 1935 or you're a rabid reader of Paul Dacre's finest John Bullshit.

pretty dead boy

animal camera
wednesday the 11th?

i've seen an advert for this and am not entirely sure when it is, but it looks brilliant.  they have, with visible discomfort to the subjects, fitted cameras on to eagles, and tiny little cameras on to other insects.  it looks like another big, impressive, bbc nature programme, and finished with a super-slow-motion image of a bee leaving someone's hand (that isn't an animal camera bit, but looked good nonetheless).  there was clips on the ad of flying through a woodland scene, with flapping wings on each corner of the screen, presumably attached to an eagles face.  animal cruelty aside, this looks fantastic.  will perhaps edit if i find out when it's on.

Tokyo Sexwhale

Terry Jones' Medieval Lives - BBC2 Monday 8pm.

For fans of "Monty Python and the Holy Grail" or his early-90s series "The Crusades."

Marcus Or Relius

The Exorcist III
Channel 4, Monday, 11PM

I haven't seen this film for ages and I remember joining several fellow whores in singing it's praises in the 100 Scariest Movie Moment's thread a few months back.

Decapitations, sharp dialogue, a constant aura of menace and Brad Dourif acting as mad as a bucket of frogs. Hurrah! Can't wait.

Des Nilsen

Blue Jam

BBC2, 10.35 PM, tonight (09/02): documentary on Peter Sellers, in which his family talk about him. It includes interviews with his son who wrote a dirt-dishing biography, so should be worth watching.

Tuesday 10th (tonight)
Channel 4
11.05pm  Comedy Lab An insight into the thoughts, ideas and emotions that pass through comedian Demetri Martin's head in a single minute. His mental processes are exposed during a journey to an audition for which he's already late. Shot in New York, his inner experiences are illustrated using film, music, drawings and animation .

This guy's Perrier award winning show was on BBC4 last month and it was pretty good, so I'm  looking forward to this.

smoker

Quote from: "12 years, 11 months old"Tuesday 10th (tonight)
Channel 4
11.05pm  Comedy Lab An insight into the thoughts, ideas and emotions that pass through comedian Demetri Martin's head in a single minute. His mental processes are exposed during a journey to an audition for which he's already late. Shot in New York, his inner experiences are illustrated using film, music, drawings and animation .

This guy's Perrier award winning show was on BBC4 last month and it was pretty good, so I'm  looking forward to this.

i was meaning to bring this up in comedy chat but i couldn't remember the guy's name. it's supposed to be very woody allen / seinfeld-esque, i plan to give it a watch

gazzyk1ns

At a quarter past midnight tonight (well, tomorrow morning, you know what I mean...) is something called "Rock N Roll Myths", which is apparently what it sounds like. Might be good, dunno. After it is that "Rather Good Videos" programme, which does usually have a few rather good videos on. Apparently the presenter made that fucking shite advert for Switch with the pelicans/toucans, though, so ignore him.

imitationleather

They only ever play about 20 seconds of each video though, and there's too much padding with those animations that stopped being funny about two years ago. Ah well, TiVo always tapes it for me...