Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 02:09:40 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Verbwhores' Radio Times

Started by 12 years, 11 months old, February 04, 2004, 12:00:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Marcus Or Relius

I've got Hard Boiled on video and can very much recommend it for any fan of over-the-top ultra-violence. I think it holds the record for the most number of on-screen-deaths, something like 330 give or take a few dozen dead triads.

*SPOILER* It's funny at the start when the hero cop, who's called Tequila (stop sniggering, this is a serious movie), is talking to his partner, his partner bragging of how happy he is with his dear wife and offering to show Tequila a picture of his child. Christ, why doesn't he just wear a T-shirt saying "Attention baddies: Shoot me in the first scene!" Great flick though.*END OF SPOILER*

Gangster Number One is on Channel 4 tonight (Saturday) at 10:40PM. I've not seen it but a mate said it was really good and "nice 'n violent with lots of swearing, yay!" so I'll be tuning in.

NattyDread

This is great:

BBC4 Tonight:
ÊTRE ET AVOIR
Nicolas Philibert, France, 2002
Sunday 18 April 2004 7.30pm-9.10pm

Director Nicholas Philibert intimately portrays the everyday life of 13 pupils in a one-class primary school in rural France showing the heart of a community and its truly inspiring teacher.

Commissioner's Comment
Nick Fraser
Storyville Series Editor

Être et Avoir is the surprise cinema hit of 2003. It has done astonishing box office in France and when it was released in Britain earlier this year it was unanimously accorded five stars by the film critics.

It tells the story of a village school in a remote part of France, and the teacher who looks after the children. Nicolas Philibert has made a film that in France has some sort of political edge - these schools are fast disappearing and he is telling us they should be conserved.

British viewers will probably watch the film as an inspired evocation of childhood and the talents of a remarkable teacher - a French Mr Chips if you want.

fanny splendid

Radio Times In Reverse

Did anyone tape the documentary about Katsushika Hokusai that was on BBC2 last night?

mr rou-rou

damn, I bought Être et Avoir at £15 earlier this year, that will teach me to buy things and not pirate them.

It is a lovely film, a must for anyone in the teaching profession or anyone who needs therapy for their hatred of kids.

sorry Fanny didn't tape that, do I get a bonus point for not knowing who he is? oh yes I do, he did this

Silver SurferGhost

Quote from: "fanny splendid"the documentary about Katsushika Hokusai
I didn't tape it either but I certainly wish I had, it was great.
If it's any help I've seen other episodes from the first series repeated in the BBC1 Sign Zone quite shortly after.
You'll get *that woman waving her arms about blocking the screen* unfortunately, but it's better than nowt.
Quote from: "Marcus Or Relius"Gangster Number One is on Channel 4 tonight (Saturday).
I did like that, despite Mrs S squealing throughout. A nice reminder that Malcolm McDowell can still act when he can be arsed.
The film itself confounded a couple of expectations, and then er, re-confounded those, erm, confoundings.
Paul Bettany was very good too (but I still say that feller off Hustle should play Alex if they ever do that Clockwork Orange remake...)
and I cheered when he chucked Andrew Lincoln through that window, but that's probably just me.
Took me a few minutes to spot Lincoln under that Stevie Marriott 'do.
I'll say nowt about Jamie Foreman's acting style, I'm sure he's lovely and so is his dad and all his friends. As lorries.
As for the swearing, has anyone done a cunt count? I'm sure I've never heard so many, not even here.

And any film that's got KILL!!! by Alberto Y Lost Trios Paranoias on it's soundtrack is alright by me.

Oh right, tonight.
Erm, I'll remind you about Freeway 2.30am C4, it's as good as tr says it is, although it's not what it first seems.
What I'm saying is stick with it even if you don't like the first half hour.
If you tape it, watch it at night, it doesn't work in daylight.
And art lovers shouldn't forget the William Morris documentary on BBC1 at  7pm.

fanny splendid

Quote from: "Silver SurferGhost"I didn't tape it either but I certainly wish I had, it was great.
If it's any help I've seen other episodes from the first series repeated in the BBC1 Sign Zone quite shortly after.
You'll get *that woman waving her arms about blocking the screen* unfortunately, but it's better than nowt..

Thanks SSG, i'll check the listings. Did you see the prog about Anthony Gormley's 'Inside Australia' on Channel 5 earlier.

Being the fool I am, I forgot to tape that, too...

GoochDogHigh5s

http://www.bbc.co.uk/bbcthree/tv/outrageous_fortunes/disney.shtml

This was on last night, but as it was on BBC3, I am sure it will be on again soon or on BBC2 soon.

The show itself was interesting, but the best bit was some American nutter who hjas beem married 6 times and has said that Disney is his life.His house is a shrine to Mickey and his friends and is covered in tatoos of every disney character ever.Very funny and frightening.I reckon he may run for president soon.

These people really believe in Disney Magic.Someone told the presenter that no one had ever died in Disney world

It also showed a housing complex where everyone lives by the disney ethos.A bit like the Stepford Wives.
It also showed the sinister side of Disney.
Read the link for more.

imitationleather

That documentary about Disney was surprisingly good. I was in a cul-de-sac of boredom and there was nothing else to watch on the telly so I put it on expecting yet another Liquid News spin-off type programme. However, it actually gave some insight into the company and was very interesting.

That bit with the town where Disney impose loads of rules about how the people who live there can arrange their houses made me feel a bit sick though. Disney's always seemed a bit sinister to me, and while I've never been to Disneyland I can imagine it being a bit like a real, three-dimensional nightmare. Grown adults who love Disney and all the characters are even more sinister though. They're the sort of people who have news reports made about them after going on a mad killing spree where everyone says, "He was a bit of a loner really."

Silver SurferGhost

Quote from: "fanny splendid"Did you see the prog about Anthony Gormley's 'Inside Australia' on Channel 5 earlier.
Bollocks, I missed that! How long have they been doing arts progs on a Sunday lunchtime?

butnut

Quote from: "Silver SurferGhost"And art lovers shouldn't forget the William Morris documentary on BBC1 at  7pm.

I saw that. Fuck me, it was a badly made programme. Here's an example:

QuoteToo girly to be bullied at school, Morris spent his time roaming around the prehistoric Wiltshire countryside.

What? Too girly too be bullied? Was he wearing a dress and bleeding everywhere once a month? And what the fuck was he doing in the prehistoric countryside? If he'd built a timemachine as a teenager he was a fucking genius,

But having said that, I knew next to nothing about him before watching. But he seemed a really interesting guy, so I'm glad I did see it. And what made it nice for me it that he worked in lots of places close to me that I know pretty well: Hammersmith, Morden etc.

fanny splendid

It was bloody awful. I wish I hadn't seen it.

Silver SurferGhost

Yeah, I take that one back.
QuoteAnd art lovers shouldn't forget the William Morris documentary on BBC1 at 7pm.
SHOULD have read:
QuoteAnd art lovers will want to avoid the half-arsed opinions of some witless media twat on BBC1at 7pm.
Try this instead butnut: http://www.morrissociety.org/
A bit dry, but free of wankery, and with links.

butnut

Cheers SSG. WIll look into that link right now.

How are they allowed to get away with programmes like that?

fanny splendid

That's what I was thinking. Making a doc on Morris should be the easiest thing in the world to get right. Maybe it was too easy?

peet

edit: missed the threadaboutit

Ambient Sheep

For those of you that get UKTV People, tonight's Have I Got News For You is episode 5:1 featuring Jonathan Ross and Peter Cook.  Or so says the UKTV People TV guide.

This is at 22:00 (yes, 35 minutes time) and rerun at 01:35.  The channel can be found on Sky 566, and I believe NTL Digital carry it as well.  I don't know about Telewest.

More about all this over here, if anyone's interested.

sproggy

Yes it is confirmed, the UKTV puple link man described the HIGNFY guests as Jonathan Ross and the genius Peter Cook.  Video tape in place and programmed, I missed this first time around, cheers Sheepy

EDIT:  Bloody hell, it's a good job I checked my tape, I almost wiped 40 minutes of Omnibus' Spike Milligan documentary.

(note to self: must learn to label things Ad Nauseam)

Ambient Sheep

It wasn't very good though, was it?

sproggy

Quote from: "Ambient Sheep"It wasn't very good though, was it?

A text book example of anti-climax.

Still, good to see Cooky, even if his input was limited.  Perhaps the BBC gin ration was partly to blame.

Bilko

Inside Saddam's Iraq -  ITV 0.45-1.45 26th April.

Part one of four

Joy Nktonga

BBC 1, right now: REAL STORY.

Not for any true televisual merit, just because it appears to be one of those news/magazine shows disguised as TDT/Brass Eye disguised as news/magazine shows.

The intro section, with all the "headlines" and snippets were mock news nirvana.

"How helping the police ruined families lives" with footage of a drama-lesson-style-disguised man basically repeats the tag-line.

and:
"How town solves shopping centre litter problems" with footage of  radio controlled bin advising shoppers to put litter in the bin.

Sorry to waffle but worth a sneering peek while reminding us once again how TDT etc have influenced these shows.

Marcus Or Relius

Just watching a kid's TV show called "The Yuk Show" - a cross-between How 2 and Tizwaz.

The female presenter cheerfully explained "Now it's time to see how people poohed in the past." Cue a piece presented by the other host, dressed in a big stripey scarf, calling himself Dr Pooh and saying "Let's go back in time in my Turdis to see what toilets of old were like."

Kid's TV. Is. Brilliant.

fanny splendid

Rachael Whiteread on channel 5 at 7.30 this evening.

Go on, watch it, it'll give you something else to get angry about...

;-)

mr rou-rou

weird, I thought she was called Rachel Whitehead (unless there's an artist with a similar name).

I liked her piece 'house' , where she flood filled a condemned house with concrete and when they tore it down it left a block representing the empty spaces of the house, oo tricky reverse negative stuff.

The sculpture was later removed and I'm sure there was an interesting tale behind that but I'm too tired to google.

fanny splendid

Okay, smarty pants.

I thought I would try that e...

mr rou-rou

thing is I wasn't being a smarty pants, just a spazz,

she appears to have a dual identity

Lt Plonker

Have I Got News For You
BBC1 21.30

Featuring everyone's favourite racist, Robert Kilro-Silk.

Lt Plonker

Paul Merton seems angry at Kilroy. This is fun.

Krang

Have i got news for you was brilliant, Des did a great job.

Marcus Or Relius

Russia: Land of the Tsars (History Documentary)
19:00 - 21:00
Saturday 1st May on Channel 4
Two-part series tracing the history of Russia's ruling dynasty. This second programme focuses on the revolutionary fervour sweeping the world as Catherine the Great combined betrayal, cunning and sexual intrigue to modernise and expand Russia whilst she was Tsarina. However, the effects of the Industrial Revolution soon overtook the ruling powers and led to an antagonised population becoming more virulent in their opposition to absolute rule.

Because I can't be arsed to go out tonight, and I'm not a snooker fan, a nice two-hour documentary about Russian history will thus keep me occupied on a Saturday night.

Also, Crash - the movie about people who get their sexual kicks out of car accidents - is on Channel 4 at 1AM tonight (or Sunday morning, if you wanna be pedantic.)  I've not seen it so I can't really recommend it, just thought I might point it out. I wonder if Michael Winner makes a cameo appearance?

Screeeech....crunch! Smash! Splat!
"Calm down dear...it's a commercial!"