Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 08:18:29 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Verbwhores' Radio Times

Started by 12 years, 11 months old, February 04, 2004, 12:00:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic
BUMPER NIGHT OF SATELLITE/CABLE/FREEVIEW/WHATEVER GOODNESS TONIGHT:

BBC4 7.00pm  
Tetris: From Russia With Love
The incredible story of the Russian-designed computer game, a simple but fiendishly addictive puzzle, originally designed by a programmer at Moscow's Academy of Science, that became the biggest-selling computer game of the 1990s. However, in the process, it generated a vast corporate feud as the leading corporations in the West battled to secure the rights from Russia, which saw the communists play the capitalists at their own game and win. Shown as part of Computer Night [but buggered up at the end]

Sky 1 9.00pm
24 - New series
Real-time drama. President Palmer returns to Los Angeles for the first time since the bio-attack three years previously and Jack Bauer is back on board at CTU for the latest crisis. A van deposits a body infected with a virus outside the LA Health Unit and it emerges that drug-dealing terrorists are threatening to release the deadly plague into the atmosphere unless their leader is released from prison. Kiefer Sutherland, Dennis Haysbert and Elisha Cuthbert star  

BBC4 10.00pm  
The Alan Clark Diaries
Mired in a hopeless affair with his mistress, Alan's marriage to Jane suffers and eventually begins to disintegrate. Convinced his career is going the same way, he resigns just before the 1992 general election, but struggles to cope with life in the political wilderness. John Hurt stars

BBC4 10.30pm  
The Mark Steel Lectures
Filmed at the Parthenon and across Athens, the comedian presents a humorous look at Greek philosophy, from Pythagoras through to Plato and Aristotle — who apparently had a fondness for pretty girls. He also touches on ethics, Sue Barker, incontinence, Jim Davidson, ballooning and the Four Tops

BBC3 11.00pm  
15 Storeys High - New series
Comedy about two very different men living in a south London tower block. Vince falls for aqua aerobics instructor Stacey, and finds himself volunteering to take part in a charity swimathon — despite being unable to swim. Meanwhile, Errol allows a single mum to practise her "salsasice" in their living room. Sean Lock and Benedict Wong star

That's my evening sorted then.

gazzyk1ns

Tonight for me it's Father Ted at 10 - I think it might be one of the couple I missed somehow - then Six Feet Under, after I've done something else while Marenghi is on.

Dr David V

Quote from: "12 years, 11 months old"BBC3 11.00pm  
15 Storeys High - New series
Comedy about two very different men living in a south London tower block. Vince falls for aqua aerobics instructor Stacey, and finds himself volunteering to take part in a charity swimathon — despite being unable to swim. Meanwhile, Errol allows a single mum to practise her "salsasice" in their living room. Sean Lock and Benedict Wong star
Well they couldn't have made a lower-key release if they tried. Thanks for the reminder. Marenghi's repeated on Wednesday on E4 isn't it? That can wait. Oh I can't wait to get Sky...

DonkeyRods

24 Carrot Gold - BBC 1, 9pm, Friday 13th
Jasper Carrot performs 'some of the best monologue material ever performed'. Undoubtedly, one of the most under-rated comedy genius' of our time.

A Passing Turk Slipper

Some new stand up show is on in 20 minutes, called 'Malai Presents' or something.

Tokyo Sexwhale

Quote from: "A Passing Turk Slipper"Some new stand up show is on in 20 minutes, called 'Malai Presents' or something.

The channel would help!

A Passing Turk Slipper

Quote from: "Tokyo Sexwhale"
Quote from: "A Passing Turk Slipper"Some new stand up show is on in 20 minutes, called 'Malai Presents' or something.

The channel would help!
Whoops, sorry. It was BBC2 but if it's any consolation I didn't laugh once. I thought it was a bit rubbish.

megatwat

I usually love Jasper Carrot, but there's been somehting a bit flat about this new series. Maybe it's because he's doing old material. I dunno.

terminallyrelaxed

terminallyrelaxed

The Long Voyage Home 1.45pm BBC2 Sunday

Directed by John Ford, this a slow atmospheric number, I've nothing much to add to the Guardian's The Guide review, except to say they don't understate Gregg Toland's cinematography. Its superb, Toland was one of those guys that really made use of black and white, it is shot in a heavy Noir style, loaded with impenetrable shadows and sharp slashes of light.
The film itself is slightly slow and predictably sprinkled with the odd stereotype, but it was made in 1940.

Sunday 15th Feburary

2.50am  Channel 4
The Art Show
Charlie Brooker's tongue-in-cheek documentary offering a guide to watching TV, using the format of a public information film and blending live action with animation. Viewers are led through the complex series of actions needed to watch the box — starting with buying a set

4.20am  Five
Cold War
Stalin's last years of East European paranoid domination, as millions of innocent Russians were sent to the Gulag, documenting "reds-under-the-bed" hysteria in America, plus related issues such as President Eisenhower's election and the communist wind of change that swept China

Lt Plonker

***TONIGHT***

The British Academy of Film & Television Awards
BBC1 21.00

It's worth it for Stephen Fry, I think you'll agree.

mr rou-rou

in case you didn't see it in the Comedy forum

http://www.cookdandbombd.co.uk/forums/index.php?topic=504

Vic and Bob's Catterick tonight

eh? why am I posting this, I've just realised I don't have BBC 3

Santa's Boyfriend

Dunkirk, showing on BBC2 on Wed, 9pm.

From BBCi:

QuoteA major new dramatised documentary, showing over three consecutive nights this week, which tells the story of history's biggest maritime evacuation. All the events are taken from first hand accounts.

In May 1940 the Allies in Northern France are in retreat and making their way to the coast. Alf Tombs is in one of the units charged with holding open a corridor down which to retreat, which they successfully resist for 48 hours allowing thousands to escape. Captain Bill Tennant discovers he can evacuate men from a flimsy wooden pier. But as the weather changes the pier and the beaches are heavily bombed.

Narrated by Timothy Dalton.

Good to see the old James Bond reject getting work these days.

Lt Plonker

Quote from: "Santa's Boyfriend"Good to see the old James Bond reject getting work these days.

Have you seen him in Looney Tunes: Back in Action? Brilliantly funny film.

Des Nilsen

Quote from: "Lt Plonker"
Quote from: "Santa's Boyfriend"Good to see the old James Bond reject getting work these days.

Have you seen him in Looney Tunes: Back in Action? Brilliantly funny film.

I've been wondering about that one. It looks pleasantly tongue in cheek, though when I first saw it advertised I thought it was Warner Bros ransacking their corporate heritage again.

Perhaps we should have another 'recent films' thread.

-

Vermschneid Mehearties

A post heads-up for The Natural World which was on last night. Worth watching simply for Attenborough's unfailing enthusiasm. I can't remember a bad program he has ever featured in.

Anyone see?

NattyDread

Quote from: "Vermschneid Mehearties"A post heads-up for The Natural World which was on last night. Worth watching simply for Attenborough's unfailing enthusiasm. I can't remember a bad program he has ever featured in.

Anyone see?

The one about the amber? I saw that. Strangely enough, there was some old Attenborough on BBC2 this afternoon which also had those honey ants that just hang around, acting as bulbous food troughs for the others.

They had a biologist guy scoffing them. Then we were treated to an '80's computer simulation of ants eating other beasties and marauding around the forest floor. Must've looked like virtual reality at the time. Or something.

Late film tonight - Breaking The Waves (Lars Von Triers). Ch4. 1:05am

Blue Jam

QuoteTuesday 17/02, Radio4, 11:30- Should We Be Laughing?
Laughing at Disability: First of two programmes exploring comedy's treatment of disability, presented by stand-up comedian Francesca Martinez, who is herself disabled.
- BBCi

According to The Observer TV guide, "this first installment makes us uncomfortably aware of how shows such as Fawlty Towers ridiculed deafness while episodes of Mr Bean and Blackadder laughed at blindness. Mental disability is perhaps an even more common target- witness Jasper carrott's "Nutter On The Bus" routine".

Hairy Chin

But there are some disability-related things you can't help laughing at. No, no - I'm not a bad person!

A few months ago I was watching a natural world type documentary on the BBC Sign Zone late at night, it was about sea creatures, and when it came do describing the sting or manta ray, the old lady sign-woman put her arms down at her sides, lifted up her forearms and stuck them out either side of her in an aeroplane fashion, and swayed from side to side a bit, miming the ray gliding through the water!

And also if you watch Never Mind The Buzzcocks with subtitles on...two words:
Intros Round.

Hal

Quote from: "Santa's Boyfriend"
Dunkirk, showing on BBC2 on Wed, 9pm.

I was sure I'd missed the first episode of this, and was pleasantly suprised to see it billed tonight, so I'm all happy now. It looks very good.

This can serve as another reminder perhaps.

A Passing Turk Slipper

Harry Hill's on at 11:00 on ITV and South Park (C4 12:05) looks like a funny one tonight.

Marcus Or Relius

Quote from: "A Passing Turk Slipper"Harry Hill's on at 11:00 on ITV...

Watching it now. Probably the only vaguely amusing thing on ITV these days.

Predictable Kilroy gag: "You lost your job...because you made certain comments about Arabs." He must have nicked that from this forum.

I didn't know where best to put this, but this thread'll do:

Enfield and Paul Whitehouse reunite as Smashy + Nicey for Channel 4's review of the all-time 50 top selling UK singles artists. C4, 22nd February 21:00.

Marcus Or Relius

7PM Channel 4, Saturday The Day the Earth Was Born

Documentary chronicling the series of events that shaped the Earth in the first hundred million years of its existence, from the formation of its molten iron core, to the appearance of solid rocks and oceans, and eventually the beginning of life. The programme reveals a history of violent natural phenomena including the cataclysmic impact that helped to form the moon.
---

Maybe not to everyone's taste but Channel 4's science documentaries are usually pretty good and provide a bit of an antidote to dumbed-down shit that's presented to us on a Saturday evening on the other sides.

wasp_f15ting

If your not wacthing this ^ do so. Some fantastic stuff.. I am learning new stuff.

EDIT: That was amazing! I never knew how much earth's magnetic field saved us... some great stuff, and I loved the way the narrator says "the first human arrived 30seconds before midnight" so in the whole of 24hrs of earth we are only 30 seconds worth of jizz.. It made me feel really small and unimportant. Superb, not too complex yet, enough room and stuff for you to remember and research yourself. I wish I had a dvd recorder to record stuff like this. Unlike bbc channel 4 don't release such goodness on dvd :(

If you get a chance to watch it again, do so. Facinating and easy to watch.

Funky Gibbon

9pm tonight on Sky one. 'There's something about Miriam.' A program similar to that Joe Millionaire bollocks they put on, except that the male contestants don't know that the person whose affections they are vying for is actually a pre-op transexual. Looking at the trailers they have been showing, he/she/it would have fooled me. Could be interesting in a disengaged brain kind of way.

Des Nilsen

C4 11:00pm - Serpico (1973).

Quote from: "The IMDB"
Serpico is a cop in the early 1970s. Unlike all his colleagues, he refuses a share of the money that the cops routinely extort from local criminals. Nobody wants to work with Serpico, and he's in constant danger of being placed in life threatening positions by his "partners". Nothing seems to get done even when he goes to the highest of authorities. Despite the dangers he finds himself in, he still refuses to 'go with the flow', in the hope that one day, the truth will be known.

I've not yet seen this, so I'll be watching it tonight. It's followed by a film drama about the birth of the Black Panther movement, called Panther, if you're up for staying up even later.

-

Vermschneid Mehearties

I watched a bit of Serpico. It was reasonable, though it left you feeling frustrated at the end.

Des Nilsen

It *was* frustrating, and when his ladyfriend left him it was horrible.
The real Frank Serpico went into acting after his police career, there was a link on the IMDB boards to a photo of him taken from a recent run of plays he's been doing. Interesting bloke.

One of these days I'm going to get as many "powerhouse" Al Pacino performances as possible on DVD. He's very watchable.

-