Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 03:59:56 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Verbwhores' Radio Times

Started by 12 years, 11 months old, February 04, 2004, 12:00:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic
Hieronymus Bosch: The Delights of Hell
Wednesday, BBC4, 8.30pm

A glimpse into the surreal and disturbing world of the 16th-century Gothic artist who, in a career spent almost entirely in a small Dutch village, became celebrated for his vivid depictions of hell. The film travels to Iceland, Venice and Madrid, where his most iconic creations are displayed, to present a startling examination of his distorted landscapes, bizarre creatures and vibrant colours of his paintings  

THIS IS CRAIG BROWN
Wednesday, Radio 4, 11pm

Every week Craig Brown, the satirist's satirist, the parodist's parodist, writes at least five largely hilarious pieces for a variety of organs. Remarkable — and he has been doing this for years, most notably for Private Eye, where his character spoofs of the famous and fatuous can often lead to outbursts of explosive laughter. Here a cast to match the material (Hugo Weaving, Rory Bremner, Harry Enfield and Edward Fox) work through some of Brown's greatest hits, from Barry Norman's (did I mention that he's there too? Well, he is.) interview with Daffy Duck to revelations from the five most distinguished men not to have slept with Marilyn Monroe.

Was Serpico any good then? I wish I'd read this thread the other night because the bloody films been in my rental queue for months but I keep bumping it down the list... is it worth seeing?

Des Nilsen

I'd say so Mundays, though because of the time it was on the other night I did feel a bit tired by the end of it. It's very good though, and sickening too, as the extent of the police corruption in it is really quite disturbing.
Good acting job in all departments though, worth a watch or two. It's just over the 2-hour mark so it depends on taste I suppose.

I would certainly recommend it.

-

Nearly Annually

This just in from SE...

Quote from: "Bollock Chops"Tonight. Midnight 'til 2:

QuoteOne World: Kurt and Bill
Show broadcast on Radio 1 on Friday 26th February 2004

On the 6th April 1994 Kurt Cobain committed suicide. He was 27 years old, a media frenzy ensued......

Less than 6 weeks earlier at 11.20pm on 26th February Bill Hicks died of pancreatic cancer with his parents by his bedside. The laminated memorial card Mrs Hicks handed out to his friends said he was 32 years 2 months and ten days old - his death went largely unreported.

Tonight's One World presents 'Kurt n Bill' - 2 hours devoted purely and simply to the music of Kurt Cobain and the comedy of Bill Hicks...

Incredible Monkey Doctor

For those with Sky, FX289 has two easy on the brain but entertaining programmes on from 10:30 on a Monday. For those slow on LOL NO uptake, it's channel 289 on sky.

Penn & Teller's "Bullshit" where for half an hour they rip apart people for believeing shit like Bottled water is better for you or Feng Shui.

"Free for All". It's a cartoon about a dumb kid and his fucked up family. Hardly original but well executed and quite funny, plus it has a psychotic weasel in it, which can't be bad.

bill hicks

Also for those with FX 'The Man Show' is on most days I think. Sometimes great, sometimes crap hidden camera type show. Sort of Trigger Happy TV, but actually funny.

I hate people with Sky...I want Penn and Teller (or at least tv rips of it).

Clarky Cat

In case anyones interested and didn't know:

Shaun of the Dead in Cinemas 9th April
    Black Books Series 2 on DVD 22nd March
    Black Books Series 3 on Channel 4 11th March

Des Nilsen

Tonight on BBC1, 11:05pm to 12:05am.

Quote from: "The Radio Times"
Johnny Cash - The Last Great American

Documentary profiling the life of the legendary country music star Johnny Cash, who died in 2003 shortly after completing the retrospective Unearthed, a 5 CD-set of the acoustic performances with which he resurrected his career in the last decade of his life. Featuring contributions from his daughter Rosanne and son John Carter Cash, manager Lou Robin and fellow musicians including Little Richard, Kris Kristofferson and Elvis Costello.

Looks a good 'un.

-

Flook

Tonight Feb 28th Beeb 2, 22:30 - 23:00  - Fur TV

No idea if its going to be any good but the write up looks interesting.

Quote from: "bbc.co.uk"New adult puppet comedy set in the fictional world of Furry Avenue, where puppets and humans live side by side.

Scrawny Mervin is desperate to find a girlfriend. Despite intensive coaching from the charming and successful Lapeno, Mervin's efforts at seducing women end in disaster. Never more so than when Mervin finds himself in the clutches of an insane female puppophile, who straps him to a rack and attempts to de-thread him.

Jim and Frank, the world's first openly gay puppets, also put in an appearance. Jim is an open minded, easy going Californian, Frank an uptight Englishman - a combination that leads to constant conflict.

Strong language and sexual scenes.

Furry Avenue? Puppophiles? Worth a look I'd have thought

Mr Flunchy

Quote from: "Nearly Annually"This just in from SE...

Quote from: "Bollock Chops"Tonight. Midnight 'til 2:

QuoteOne World: Kurt and Bill
Show broadcast on Radio 1 on Friday 26th February 2004

On the 6th April 1994 Kurt Cobain committed suicide. He was 27 years old, a media frenzy ensued......

Less than 6 weeks earlier at 11.20pm on 26th February Bill Hicks died of pancreatic cancer with his parents by his bedside. The laminated memorial card Mrs Hicks handed out to his friends said he was 32 years 2 months and ten days old - his death went largely unreported.

Tonight's One World presents 'Kurt n Bill' - 2 hours devoted purely and simply to the music of Kurt Cobain and the comedy of Bill Hicks...

Quote from: "BBC Website"Please note, due to the strong lanuage used in this show it will not be be available to listen again on the web-site.

Piss.  Anyone record this?

DonkeyRods

Apocalypse Now

A classic wartime saga for all you people staying in on Saturday night. Won an Oscar for its chilling ragtime musical score.

terminallyrelaxed

Apocalypse Now is one of my top ten favourite films, anyone who hasnt seen it (possibly because they dont as a rule like war films) should. Its just one of the most beautifully shot films ever, cinematography by Vittorio Storaro, also responsible for the beauty of The Sheltering Sky, The Last Emperor and The Conformist, the first and last of which in my opinion are'nt that good as a whole, but beautifully shot, which is one of their saving graces.
Almost every fram of Apocalypse Now (within reason) makes a pretty good still photograph, whether conveying vast set-pieces or very intimate tension.
There are many anecdotal things about the film that you may know if you've seen the documentary about it, such as t launched the film career of the fourteen-year-old Larry Fishburn, and features a young Harrison Ford at the beginning. Also in the beginning, when we see Willard (Martin Sheen in the best performance of his career) wigging out in his hotel room, he really was out of his tree on booze and drugs, and Coppola encouraged him, egged him on as he stumbled around way out of his mind, and the crew kept filming, only stepping in when he really looked like he was going to hurt himself (more than the narcotic concoction and being filmed wigging out in Y-fronts had done already, I assume).
They had to keep Brando in the dark, he truned up late and several stone overweight, and had to stop filming often when the helicopters of the Phillipino air force went off to drop real bombs on real people. Coppola had a nervous breakdown.
All in all the stuff of legend and produced an incredible piece of cinema history.

terminallyrelaxed

Heads Up: Funny Bones has just started on BBC2 - the Lee Evans film, but its nicely done and has very good physical comedy in it.....

Tokyo Sexwhale

Quote from: "terminallyrelaxed"Heads Up: Funny Bones has just started on BBC2 - the Lee Evans film, but its nicely done and has very good physical comedy in it.....

For some reason, it's on The Paramount Comedy Channel at the same time.

Purple Tentacle

Re: Apocolypse Now: Is the Coppolla making-of documentary (Hearts of Darkness??) available commercially ANYWHERE?

terminallyrelaxed

terminallyrelaxed

According to Sherlock, Tesco do it for £11.99 on VHS but its out of stock and they cannot accept orders at this time....

gazzyk1ns

Shit all on tonight, typical... I love lounging around drinking cans of beer and browsing here on a Sunday, in preparation for an alcohol and binge-less week... it would be nice if they shoved something half decent on the box. I've run out of blank CDs too so I can't even burn the latest episodes of ER to laze in front of. Apart from some programme about the hard life that models have - so an anorexic titfest, then - everything that's on seems absolutely uninteresting. Can anyone correct me? I've not got Sky.

Quote from: "gazzyk1ns"everything that's on seems absolutely uninteresting. Can anyone correct me? I've not got Sky.

Starship Troopers is on Five in a minute. I remember it being quite good, it'll certainly pass the time.

Purple Tentacle

Quote from: "12 years, 11 months old"Starship Troopers is on Five in a minute. I remember it being quite good, it'll certainly pass the time.

Yeah, really good if you can pretend that a pro-fascist film is ironic.

I'm watching it myself at the moment purely to make myself fume.

Marcus Or Relius

Bodyshock: The Man Who Ate His Lover 9:00PM Monday, Channel 4

Hopefully not-too-stupidly-sensationalised documentary about that nice German man who butchered and ate someone he met on the internet - a bit like a CaB meet, but with more meat. Ho ho.

And if anyone else is as morbidly fascinated with true-murder cases as me:

Beyond Murder: Convicting Jane's Killer 10:35PM Tuesday, BBC1

Another murder case, another documentary with a sub-heading. This one's about some guy who strangled some woman because he was sexually turned on by the idea of strangling women. Sounds logical I guess. Strange how the term "Jane's Killer" is used in the title, implying national intimacy with the victim, as if we're supposed think "Jane? Jane...Jane...er....oh yeah! Jane! I know her. She got strangled didn't she?"

gazzyk1ns

Tomorrow, "Living In Oblivion" is on C4, so you should watch it if you've not already. If you've not seen it and you don't think you want to, then you are wrong.

Purple Tentacle

Quote from: "gazzyk1ns"Tomorrow, "Living In Oblivion" is on C4, so you should watch it if you've not already. If you've not seen it and you don't think you want to, then you are wrong.

Oooh yes, I remember really liking that film.

I'm not sure if I'd find it a bit in-jokey and up-arse now, I'll watch it to find out.

big dogs cock

Just a quick one for those like me who haven't read this:

18:30-18:45  BBC7
Facts and Fancies
Armando Ianucci's free-ranging topics from greetings cards to time are considered in his own witty and fascinating style. [Episode 1of 5, rpt of today 9.00am, rptd Tue 12.30am]

jutl

Quote from: "Purple Tentacle"
Quote from: "gazzyk1ns"Tomorrow, "Living In Oblivion" is on C4, so you should watch it if you've not already. If you've not seen it and you don't think you want to, then you are wrong.

Oooh yes, I remember really liking that film.

I'm not sure if I'd find it a bit in-jokey and up-arse now, I'll watch it to find out.

It's a great film - I saw it at the Cannon Panton Street when it came out, and sat behind Matt Lucas.

Purple Tentacle

Quote from: "jutl"It's a great film - I saw it at the Cannon Panton Street when it came out, and sat behind Matt Lucas.

Cool, yeah I'll be recording it, I watched it loads when I was a film student, hence my fear that I might cringe at my fanboy whooping.

I once watched Henry V next to Chris Morris you know. We should form a "Mutual Celebrity Viewing Experience" club.

gazzyk1ns

One of my friends once saw a band in London (The Black Crowes or Perl Jam I think, can't remember) and was stood near Rik Mayall for most of it.

Quote from: "Marcus Or Relius"Bodyshock: The Man Who Ate His Lover 9:00PM Monday, Channel 4

Hopefully not-too-stupidly-sensationalised documentary about that nice German man who butchered and ate someone he met on the internet - a bit like a CaB meet, but with more meat. Ho ho.

What's WRONG with you people sometimes? Chuh... I'm looking forward to this and I'm praying it's as stupidly sensational as possible! I'm looking forward to dodgy reconstructions and slow motion shots of salt pouring from a salt shaker whilst the grinning face of mr cannibal fades up over it.

You are a serious bunch, where's your sense of fun? It's about a german cannibal for goodness sake, it should be as tabloid and tacky as you like else it's not worth watching it.

I need not have worried! They even animated his childhood fantasies! God bless channel 4.

gazzyk1ns

Did he have a part-time job delivering potatoes? Everyone must watch Living In Oblivion at 5 to 1 on C4.

EDIT: Hehe forgot I already said that in this thread, sorry.