Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 11:55:08 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Verbwhores' Radio Times

Started by 12 years, 11 months old, February 04, 2004, 12:00:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gazzyk1ns

ER is on tonight and it's a really good episode. I've found ER to be one of the best things on terrestrial TV over the last few weeks, which surprises me massively as I gave it a go when it first started, and also later on after enjoying the Tarantino-directed episode... I found it quite boring on both attempts. But for whatever reason, I'm really enjoying this latest series. As usual I got fed up with Channel 4 showing off that E4 had newer episodes than I was allowed to watch on C4... so I torrented them all in order to catch up with the US.

3-d lobster

BBC4 is repeating Rich Hall's Fishing show tonight at 11.

Santa's Boyfriend

Quote from: "Purple Tentacle"
Quote from: "12 years, 11 months old"Starship Troopers is on Five in a minute. I remember it being quite good, it'll certainly pass the time.

Yeah, really good if you can pretend that a pro-fascist film is ironic.

I'm watching it myself at the moment purely to make myself fume.

Purple Tentacle, you really, really should listen to the audio commentary on the DVD by the writer and the director.  The Director, Paul Verhoeven, is old enough to remember the Nazis marching in to Holland, and isn't someone to take fascism lightly.  In fact he states quite early on in the DVD that the message of the film is that "War makes fascists of us all".  But also that most of the reviews assumed that he had never thought of such a message, and that he had made it purely as a jingoistic gorefest.  But he didn't.  It is an ironic film, and it was entirely intentional.

Dr David V

Tomorrow and every week on MTV - MTV Mash. It's like that Get Your Bootlegs On forum, only as videos. They had an excellent mix with Fatboy Slim and Snow on there a couple of weeks ago, and there was a good Caesers one on there last week too. Worth a look if you've got Sky. It's on at 7pm.

wasp_f15ting

Status Anxiety

Channel 4 19:00         06/03/04

http://www.channel4.com/life/microsites/S/status_anxiety/index.html

Looks very interesting. I'll write up something after it is finished. I am liking these 19:00 programmes they ahev been doing recently on saturdays, I am really starting to like them. Standouts being. Japan's war and the creation of earth thingy.

Quote from: "Santa's Boyfriend"
Quote from: "Purple Tentacle"
Quote from: "12 years, 11 months old"Starship Troopers is on Five in a minute. I remember it being quite good, it'll certainly pass the time.

Yeah, really good if you can pretend that a pro-fascist film is ironic.

I'm watching it myself at the moment purely to make myself fume.

Purple Tentacle, you really, really should listen to the audio commentary on the DVD by the writer and the director.  The Director, Paul Verhoeven, is old enough to remember the Nazis marching in to Holland, and isn't someone to take fascism lightly.  In fact he states quite early on in the DVD that the message of the film is that "War makes fascists of us all".  But also that most of the reviews assumed that he had never thought of such a message, and that he had made it purely as a jingoistic gorefest.  But he didn't.  It is an ironic film, and it was entirely intentional.

Doesn't stop it being shit though... If anything it's probably what makes it shit.

I think it's shit.

wasp_f15ting

Just finished watching that. Was some pretty good stuff, but very depressing, in that it just re-affirmed everything I believed in. The style it was done in was really good, showing both sides of an argument pretty well. Kind of just makes everything seem pointless. Its really hard for me to articulate what I feel having watched that. Its like a cascade of ideas that float around your head made present.

It was so wierd toward the end, when the credits were rolling, after being told death is the only thing to look forward to (not in so many words) and that we'll be just dust, we get the narrator bitch saying "fit camp, the new reality show only on channel4" .. meh.. Only on channel 4 will you get deep philosophical wanderings side by side twunty wank. Overall superb programme. I shall be looking toward investing in his book second hand or something.

terminallyrelaxed

Morvern Caller BBC2 10pm Tonight.

DonkeyRods

Quote from: "terminallyrelaxed"Morvern Caller BBC2 10pm Tonight.

Is that film any good? Reading comments on IMDB it sounds like its Yet Another Hopelessly Cliched Dark Film about Drugs and Youth. Any film where criticisms are met with "you probably like mainstream Hollywood rubbish, made for the Sheeple" when talking about a something as unsubtle and heavy handed as this one is probably going to be pretentious wank. I see it has a mixtape as a soundtrack, with Aphex Twin on it, no less. Fucking hell. I hate it already.

splattermac

Aphex has two tracks on it, one is goon gumpas, which sounds like Christmassy electronica, so not his usual grating self, the other is a soundtrack piece that the end titles roll to, you wouldn't even notice it was there.

It's good, think of it as an extended short...

but if you've made your mind up, don't watch it, easy

DonkeyRods

Quote from: "splattermac"Aphex has two tracks on it, one is goon gumpas, which sounds like Christmassy electronica, so not his usual grating self, the other is a soundtrack piece that the end titles roll to, you wouldn't even notice it was there.

It's good, think of it as an extended short

No, I love Aphex Twin! I just saw that in the soundtrack and thought, uh oh, its a film thats trying to be cool :(

Heh, I go into most films wanting to hate them. I'll probably love it...

wasp_f15ting

Fucking superb film that people!

Where is the dvd then?! :o

I want it now!

splattermac

funny that, I didn't think it stood up to a third watch, glad you liked it.

I remember thinking how well some of the music was used, but this time it annoyed me how short some of it was, but then again, any longer and it would have just been a music video.

Still, it's nicely indie and her other film Ratcatcher was excellent.

I had a quick ganders on ebay hoping to pick up either the movie or the soundtrack cheap, the movie is there, but its cheapish.

Purple Tentacle

Quote from: "Santa's Boyfriend"Purple Tentacle, you really, really should listen to the audio commentary on the DVD by the writer and the director.  The Director, Paul Verhoeven, is old enough to remember the Nazis marching in to Holland, and isn't someone to take fascism lightly.  In fact he states quite early on in the DVD that the message of the film is that "War makes fascists of us all".  But also that most of the reviews assumed that he had never thought of such a message, and that he had made it purely as a jingoistic gorefest.  But he didn't.  It is an ironic film, and it was entirely intentional.

You are absolutely right, I intend to do some more research into this. Having watched the film I'm still FAIRLY convinced that he's still getting a hard-on over the Nazi imagery, despite his protests, but there's nothing worse than someone pointing a finger and screaming "Nazi, Nazi" like some fucking SWP recruitment cunt, so I intend to look into this further.

It's still 1/100th as entertaining as Robocop though.....  (And about 1/8th as entertaining as Total Recall)

fanny splendid

I really enjoyed Morvern Callar, too. It was excellent where she is walking up the shopping aisle listening to 'Some Velvet Morning' under the bright shop lighting.

Who wrote the novel, I might give that a go?

terminallyrelaxed

Well, I posted aout Morvern Caller because Splats always mentions it in film threads. True to form, in the end, I forgot all about it, and flicked on the TV at 11pm at a whim (I find myself watching less and less these days) and saw it was on. Naturally I'll reserve judgement until I've seen it all the way through one day, but I have to say, seeing as I can't really judge content, the style didnt blow me away. I see the music video thing, but I tend to watch TV quite quietly so soundtrack doesnt often sweep me away, so maybe I was missing something because I could'nt really feel it, man, or indeed hear the accompanying music properly. But is relying on soundtrack so heavily a good thing?
I must remember to look in this thread, otherwise I'm unlieky to turn on the damn tv in the next week....

Johnny Yesno

Quote from: "terminallyrelaxed"Well, I posted aout Morvern Caller because Splats always mentions it in film threads. True to form, in the end, I forgot all about it, and flicked on the TV at 11pm at a whim (I find myself watching less and less these days) and saw it was on. Naturally I'll reserve judgement until I've seen it all the way through one day, but I have to say, seeing as I can't really judge content, the style didnt blow me away. I see the music video thing, but I tend to watch TV quite quietly so soundtrack doesnt often sweep me away, so maybe I was missing something because I could'nt really feel it, man, or indeed hear the accompanying music properly. But is relying on soundtrack so heavily a good thing?
I must remember to look in this thread, otherwise I'm unlieky to turn on the damn tv in the next week....

Agreed... but the soundtrack was something though. Can, Boards, Lee Perry and Aphex - I thought all my Christmases has come at once!

Beard

I'm famous... and frightened!"

UK living - 12th, 13th and 14th of March.

Reality show in the spirit of 'Im a celeb get me out of here' but set in a haunted castle and starring  Julie Goodyear, Keith Chegwin, Cheryl Baker, Terry Nutkins, Toby Anstis, Garry Bushell, Linsey Dawn McKenzie and Linda Robson!!!

Cool huh? Well maybe not... but it's on uk living so I'm hoping it might be a bit like my guilty pleasure 'Most Haunted'

here there be details

Don't forget Black Books, tonight at 10, Channel 4.

gazzyk1ns

Yep C4 really gets the award for "whole evening of entertaining TV" tonight, something which I can't remember awarding for ages.

9pm - The Carrot Or The Stick

Two teams compete against each other in various physical tasks, one team motivated by punishment and one by reward. Caught this last week for the first time and enjoyed it, think I'm going to miss it tonight though 'cos I'm doing something else. Give it a watch if you're unsure.

10pm - Black Books

See the thread in the comedy chat forum here if you don't know...

10.30pm - Father Ted

See the head-doctor if you don't know...

11pm - Six Feet Under

Probably something which grows on you with time and not the best thing to get into mid-way through a series, but if you give it the time it's one of the best things on TV.

In a few minutes...

BBC Three, 12.30am - 15 Storeys High
12.30am??  Why?  Wherefore?

elderford

Next thursday  (18 Mar)

BBC 1 around bedtime

Question Time

Usual rubbish, but Jeremy Clarkson is on so it should be good for a giggle.

Uncle_Z

A "Did you see"  / heads up for repeat.

Dead Man Walking - BBC3 Last night (so that would have been Thurs then)

Docu about a former NF / BNP / C18 member who turned informer, fled for 10 years and has now returned to the UK in what seems like earnest attonement in spite of the obvious risk to himself.  Gutsy stuff from an average bloke with a most unpleasant past.

Tokyo Sexwhale

Quote from: "Uncle_Z"A "Did you see"  / heads up for repeat.

Dead Man Walking - BBC3 Last night (so that would have been Thurs then)

Docu about a former NF / BNP / C18 member who turned informer, fled for 10 years and has now returned to the UK in what seems like earnest attonement in spite of the obvious risk to himself.  Gutsy stuff from an average bloke with a most unpleasant past.

Yeah, it would have been better if BBC3 hadn't delayed "15 Storeys High" by an hour and a half to accomodate it though.

Bilko

Quote from: "elderford"Next thursday  (18 Mar)

BBC 1 around bedtime

Question Time

Usual rubbish, but Jeremy Clarkson is on so it should be good for a giggle.
He'll be going on about buses and bus lanes again then.

Bill Nighy is well liked by some on this site. He's on Parkinson on tonight at 9.00pm

Tokyo Sexwhale

The new TV guide reveals the following (possible/probable) gems for the forthcoming week:

Gunpowder, Treason and Plot - Sun 9.00pm (BBC2): I like history programmes, but not historical dramas.  However, this one is written by Jimmy McGovern and includes Robert Carlyle amongst the cast.  Seems odd that they're showing this in March though.

Hardware/2DTV (ITV) - Sun 10.05/10.30pm: Mildly amusing comedy for ITV.  Clashes with the above though.

The South Bank Show (ITV) - Sun 11.05pm: The NME advertises this as John Lennon's ipod revealed.  They've found a portable jukebox owned by him containing (presumably) his favourite songs.

Sun/Mon 1.50am (C4): The Wicker Man

A decent night's viewing for a change!

Other things to look out for:

Nighty Night - BBC2 Mon 10pm
The Alan Clark Diaries - BBC2 Wed 10pm
24 - Sky One Thu 9pm

gazzyk1ns

BBC1 7-8pm tonight might be good:

The Bermuda Triangle: Beneath the Waves

Professor Bruce Denardo attempts to prove if there is any truth behind the legend of the Bermuda Triangle, where many ships and planes have disappeared in mysterious circumstances. New investigation techniques reveal the truth behind the infamous disappearance of Flight 19, and Graham Hawkes is able to reveal how five mysterious wrecks wound up 730 feet down in the heart of the Bermuda Triangle, by using a state-of-the-art submarine.

True Romance is on at 10pm on 4, and World's Wildest Police Videos is on 5 at quarter past 11, always hilarious because of that American ex-police chief guy. Hehe Get Stuffed is on at 3.45am on ITV...

Purple Tentacle

Quote from: "NattyDread"Best In Show BBC2 - 22:45

Yeah, I saw this listed earlier, and thought "Oooh, this might be OK".

Is it?