Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 03:57:25 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Verbwhores' Radio Times

Started by 12 years, 11 months old, February 04, 2004, 12:00:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

biniput

10 PM  BBC 4

The Bonzo Dog Doo-Dah Band 40th anniversary Celebration.

From the Indipendant Extra:

"Vivian Stanshall is hard to replace, but Stephen Fry, Phil Jupitus and Paul Merton each take turns standing in for the only Bonzo not to make this reunion concert."

Cack Hen

This Friday Vic Reeves is on Jonathan Ross. To promote his book, I assume.

A repeat showing of GBH starts on More4 this Saturday at 10:15pm.

biniput

GBH      Bloody hell!.

Will be watching.

Purple Tentacle

Woah, fuck! Never seen this, thanks!!!

niat

I hope it's as good as I remember, because it was one of the best series I'd ever seen at the time. What year did it come out?

Mildly Diverting

1991, I think. I saw it again a couple of weeks ago. It's still superb.

And did anyone ever discover what Bleasdale's acronym stood for? Apart from the obvious, "Great British Holiday" and "Get back Hatton" were mooted.

Captain Crunch

In case any of you missed it last time, Office Space is on BBC2 at 11.50pm tomorrow night.

Marv Orange

Emo Phillips is on 8 out of 10 cats tonight

terminallyrelaxed

Surely thats irrelevant if we still have to endure the Carr excresance?

Marv Orange

Dunno its looks like they had to balance the budget by having the other panel members made up of people I've never heard of. Although I'm guessing one is another 'Northern Charm' comic.

Marv Orange

Ahh I have heard of the other panelist but they are waste of space.

Cack Hen

Quote from: "Marv Orange"Emo Phillips is on 8 out of 10 cats tonight

You're fucking joking? Bloody hell.

Marv Orange

With the rest of his current peers, Zane, Trisha, Northern comic.

terminallyrelaxed

Emo must be doing a comeback. He did 'this much I know' in last weekends Observer or Guardian Weekend magazine (I forget which) so his agent must be doing the rounds.
I can share that he has been married for a long time and he is in his forties now and looks it.

opyty

Quote from: "StuBruise"A repeat showing of GBH starts on More4 this Saturday at 10:15pm.
A quick reminder that this amazing bit of telly is starting shortly...

TTT

Just spotted this on Digiguide.

COMEDY: The Time Trumpet
On: BBC 2
Date: Thursday 20th July 2006
Time: 21:50 to 22:00

Armando Iannucci presents an exclusive preview of his new series. Set thirty years in the future, it's a satirical comedy which looks back at events today, speaking to older versions of celebs famous now.

"Execution of a Teenage Girl" is broadcast on Thursday 27 July, 2006, at 2100 BST on BBC Two.

Iranian teenager executed under Shariah law in Iran:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/programmes/5217424.stm

The Plaque Goblin

Why do they have to use all that emotive music and lingering shots of teddy bears? Isn't the story on it's own enough? These kinds of attempts at manipulation do nothing but provoke suspicion within me.

sproggy

I can't believe there are many whores who haven't seen this but just in case there are a few young, wet behind the lugs, whore-sprogs out there, Cook & Moore's original Bedazzled is on BBC2 tonight at 10:55pm.

opyty

I.CLAVDIVS
On BBC4 starting next Saturday 9pm and (almost) every day for the following fortnight.
Sublime television that's hardly ever repeated. Best thing I ever saw.

SurferGhost

*bumpies*

A reminder about the above, you've got ten minutes to set yer VCRs/DVDRs.  Although scheduling it for every night of the week at 9pm and not having even early-morning repeats of it suggests that they don't really want you to see it.

Quote from: "www.radiotimes.com"Turn Back Time
Wednesday 09 August
10:00pm - 10:30pm
BBC2

Comedy chat show hosted by Dara O'Briain in which celebrities talk about their lifetime of regrets. Monty Python's Terry Jones reveals his allergy to kissing men with moustaches, there's an exclusive sneak screening of the first film he ever directed and he tells why he regrets the Monty Python `Spam' sketch. Finally, Terry gets his own back at the censors with a good old fashioned swear-off.

Mister Cairo

Saturday 12th August 7:10pm

Tony Benn interviews newsreaders such as Jeremy Paxman and put squestions to them from a left-wing radial perspective. Not something usually on the television.

Hoogstraten'sSmilingUlcer

Saturday, 8:10pm, just after the above programme, is What Makes Us Human?, with Armand Leroi. He made a programme a while back about mutants, which was quite good and he's a very entertaining presenter. Might be worth a look.

lazyhour

If anyone's not already watching the Studio Ghibli season on the now free Film Four, you must do so.  They've already shown My Neighbour Totoro (yesterday) and Castle In The Sky (today).  Not sure if they've shown others too.  Tomorrow is Kiki's Delivery Service.

There is not a single Ghibli film that's anything less that wonderful.  That's quite an achievement.  It's some of the most beautiful, moving, charming, exciting animations ever created.  Please watch what you can of this season!

Narshty

They're all depressingly dubbed into American though - it spoils the atmosphere something rotten.

sproggy

They've all been the original Japanese with subtitles so far, which is a bit of a nightmare 'cos I have to read them for my kids who complain they're too fast.

Rather formulaic but lovely all the same.

lazyhour

The fact that they're in the original Japanese is something to be celebrated.  You can rent the DVDs if you want the shitty American dubs.  I can see where you're coming from, but I think we're really lucky to get the real thing.  The American redubs make so many changes to script and character in an attempt to pep it up for a Western audience and inject some lame-ass sassy USA humorsense.

I don't get the 'formulaic' angle at all!  In what way are any of them noticeably or detrimentally forumulaic?  I'd genuinely like to hear what you think!

sproggy

Quote from: "lazyhour"I don't get the 'formulaic' angle at all!  In what way are any of them noticeably or detrimentally forumulaic?  I'd genuinely like to hear what you think!

I've watched Howl's moving castle and the sublime spirited away a few times both subtitled and dubbed and I must admit I do prefer the subtitled originals, the sound and atmosphere is better.

Formulaic in the sense that every story seems to involve a young girl (who invariably attracts the dubious attentions of somewhat older men) and an old, cantankerous woman.  Don't get me wrong I love them, the story usually comes second to the stunning visuals and artwork.