Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 09:33:49 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Verbwhores' Radio Times

Started by 12 years, 11 months old, February 04, 2004, 12:00:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Narshty

Quote from: "sproglette"They've all been the original Japanese with subtitles so far, which is a bit of a nightmare 'cos I have to read them for my kids who complain they're too fast.
Really? I watched a couple of minutes of two of them earlier this week (My Neighbour Totoro was one) and they were definitely the American dubs. They're not showing different versions in different regions or something, are they?

5:09am

It seems that they first showed them with the American dubs. The second showings seem to be subtitled.

Well done Film4!

Hoogstraten'sSmilingUlcer

Should have put this up earlier, but Badlands is on BBC 2 right now - it's about a third way through already, but I strongly recommend anyone who hasn't seen it to buy it. It's got to be quite cheap on DVD, and it's one of the best films ever made. It is genuinely a masterpiece, underline, underscore. It's worth the £5.99 from play or wherever, just to watch it.

Quote from: "5:09am"It seems that they first showed them with the American dubs. The second showings seem to be subtitled.

Well done Film4!
Interesting. I've been recording these for someone and wondered why they repeated what I believed to be the same films a week later. But now I know. It is good of them to do that, equally pleasing the purists and the, um, others. Hope he doesn't mind a mix of dubbed/subtitled - although I've mainly got the subtitled ones shown this week so it's nice to hear they're supposedly the better ones.

If you're interested, so far they've shown Nausicaa - Valley of the Winds; Porco Rosso; My Neighbour Totoro; Laputa - Castle in the Sky and Princess Mononoke. Still to come this week are Kiki's Delivery Service, Castle of Cagliostro, and probably some repeated versions of those mentioned above too.

I should just warn you, though: adverts.

lazyhour

More specifically, adverts suddenly cutting in when a character is speaking.  It's still fantastic that all these great films are being shown for free on my tellybox, though.

5:09am

Quote from: "sproglette"I've watched Howl's moving castle and the sublime spirited away a few times both subtitled and dubbed and I must admit I do prefer the subtitled originals, the sound and atmosphere is better.

Having never seen the version before, I actually thought Porco Rosso worked really well with the American dub. Keaton did a lovely job. Then again, Porco Rosso is less about a fantastical atmosphere and more about big stupid action. Spirited Away just doesn't feel the same with a whiny american voice throughout.

QuoteFormulaic in the sense that every story seems to involve a young girl (who invariably attracts the dubious attentions of somewhat older men) and an old, cantankerous woman.  Don't get me wrong I love them, the story usually comes second to the stunning visuals and artwork.

I agree. There does seem to be a lot of recurring types. Let's not forget the inventor/engineer with invariably poor eyesight. I also noticed the little black soot fellas from Spirited Away pop up in My Neighbour Totoro.

lazyhour

Yep.  I don't think it's 'formulaicness'.  It's recurring themes.  And I think it adds a lot to the Ghibli world.  Notice also that most of the Ghibli films, if not set very purposefully in Japan, are set in a kind of weird European land in an undefined past time.  These recurring elements are themselves characters in Ghibli films.

It's also worth remembering that old people are more significant and respected in Japan, so it's natural for there to be more of a range of ages in Japanese cinema.  In da West, having a very old character in a film is like some interesting statement.  Not so in Japan, as far as I can tell.

Ged

Film4 is also showing Grave of the Fireflies tomorrow night (Monday) at midnight.

weekender

If, like me, you like watching idiots not only fail but have their stupid idiotic faces rubbed in their own uselessness at the same time, then you'll want to tune into the X factor which is starting on ITV1 in 10 minutes.

The first few episodes of this show usually contain some cracking moments, I recommend you watch.  Don't be put off by the serious nature and the whole fickle and futile annoying things that come with the overall product, that comes later.  For the next couple of weeks, enjoy watching morons get beaten down and told they're rubbish.  Great!

There's not enough of the humiliation, though. I want a four hour uncut version on ITV2, in which all these vile, righteous egotists are put down a peg. And then I want Muhammed al Fayed dragged on to be mocked and demeaned as the revolting human excrement that he is, preferably followed by Jeffery Archer, Shirley Porter, Nick Ferrari, and Derek Hatton. It's not too much to ask.

rjd2

C4
10PM

Sleeper Cell
I forgot all about this when it initially went out on sky ages back but Channel 4 in a move of surprising wisdom has picked it up.
Sleeper Cell C4 10PM
Showtime's new drama unveils the war on terrorism to reveal a riveting and unfiltered view. 'Sleeper Cell' stars Michael Ealy as an African-American undercover F.B.I. agent who is seduced into joining an Islamic sleeper terrorist cell in the United States by the cell's ruthless leader played by Oded Fehr.

Mister Cairo

If anyone fancies watxching that attached parenting documentary I was burbling about earlier, it's on tonight, Channel 5, 11:00 (videoplus 5640870)

The Indpendent call Ap loopy.

Why I Hate Tables

New series of The Sopranos starts tonight.

Hmm, Sopranos or Time Trumpet?

No contest is there?

kaprisky

Alex Cox's debut feature Repo Man gets an airing on Film4 tomorrow night. Emilio Estevez sings a line from Black Flag's "TV Party" if memory serves me correctly, which might be of interest to some of those in the Verbwhores' 1000 Singles thread.

Marv Orange

Quote from: "kaprisky"Alex Cox's debut feature Repo Man gets an airing on Film4 tomorrow night. Emilio Estevez sings a line from Black Flag's "TV Party" if memory serves me correctly, which might be of interest to some of those in the Verbwhores' 1000 Singles thread.

Look out for the prodcut placement, its sooo blatant.

Joy Nktonga

One of the greatest films of all time, The Goonies, is on BBC2 at 2.05pm today (02.09.06).

TTT

Don't Get Me Started - Stewart Lee - What's Wrong With Blasphemy?
Tuesday 5th September 2006 (19:15 to 20:00) on five

Provocative series giving some well-known figures a chance to sound off on the issues they feel most strongly about. In this programme comedian Stewart Lee hits back at the Christian fundamentalists who tried to shut down his satirical musical 'Jerry Springer the Opera', asking why we allow a tiny minority to impose their values on the rest of us. Lee warns that a society that loses the ability to poke fun at sacred cows is not a place most of us would want to live.

terminallyrelaxed

Praise the lord!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/5316700.stm?ls

Dangermouse back on 25th birthday

QuoteCartoon secret agent Dangermouse is returning to television after the BBC bought episodes of the series to broadcast in its daytime schedules.
This month marks the 25th anniversary of the character and his bumbling sidekick Penfold, who joined forces to defeat evil Baron Greenback in 1981.

Last year the show was third in Channel 4's poll of the best children's TV.

The show has been seen in more than 80 countries, according to Fremantle Media, which owns distribution rights.

The secret of the programme's success was the bizarre scenarios in which the pair found themselves, said Mark Hall, co-founder of production company Cosgrove Hall, which produced the show for Thames TV.

"The adults watched because of that kind of anarchy," he told the BBC earlier this year.

"The kids watched it because they just loved the stories and the absolutely stupid gags."

He also praised the actors who had voiced the characters. Sir David Jason was "fantastic" as Dangermouse, he said, while the late Terry Scott provided a "wonderful" Penfold.

"Dangermouse was a sort of cross between Bond and all sorts of things," Mr Hall said.

"He was supposed to be suave but he was a mouse with big ears."

The cartoon was first aired on ITV in the UK and attracted an average audience of 3.5 million, Fremantle Media said.

No transmission date has yet been set for the re-runs on the BBC.

zozman

Hearts and Minds - Oscar winning Vietnam documentary/film on More4 tonight at 10 looks good.  There's a Saddam thing on beforehand about the 8000 Kurds who "disappeared" i.e. got shot in the face.

Jemble Fred

Fuck, I though you meant new Dangermouse there for a minute! Then I was disappointed. Then I realised that you can't replace Terry Scott anyway. So I posted a pointless paragraph about all of this.

Purple Tentacle

Quote from: "zozman"Hearts and Minds - Oscar winning Vietnam documentary/film on More4 tonight at 10 looks good.

Just a quick shout of thanks for pointing this out, it's one of those films that I've always intended to see but never got round to.

It was only about half-way through that I realised that there was no commentary, a million miles away from Michael Moore's egotistical brainwashing. However, some of the editing was pretty heavy-handed (GI with prostitute: "If my girlfriend could see me now".. cut to GIs torching a village").

Depressingly cyclical message too, considering what the US are up to in the Middle East at the moment.

So yeah, thanks for that.

Mister Cairo

Craig Brown's 1966 and all that is on Radio 4 NOW

Mister Cairo

Quote from: "Mister Cairo"Craig Brown's 1966 and all that is on Radio 4 NOW

Second part on now, BBC Radio 4.

Joy Nktonga

Pinball's, sorry, conspiracists' favourite film, Capricorn One, is on BBC1 tonight at 11.35. Watch it and you'll never believe that man reached the moon ever again!

benthalo

A late one, this: a twenty-five minute feature on J.G. Ballard went out on Radio 3's Night Waves last Friday. On Listen Again and well worth investigating - everything I love about that show combined with a great guest. It starts at about the 8'00" mark.

Robot Devil

Quick! The "Originals" documentary about The Fall/Mark E. Smith is on at 11:35pm on BBC2! It's great, even if you're not a fan, honest! It's nearly on! WATCH IT!

What a gip. I've just seen The Crying Game on Film4 for the first time, and obviously I'd heard about the infamous *shock ending.* But it's not actually at the end. It's quite a bit from the end, in fact. It's not a shock ending, but more of a shocking revelation in the last act. Apart from that, it's a great film, and I thoroughly enjoyed it.

Why I Hate Tables

The Shining is on tonight at 10:30.

(Poor joke about Shining done).

If you've not seen it yet, see it tonight.

Jonathan Ingram

Doesn't really work, does it? :) You need the increasingly rampant spelling errors and alternate paragraph structures and all that.

Is it the U.S. cut then?  What channel?

Why I Hate Tables