Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 07:19:06 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Returning to Failed/Aborted Projects

Started by european son, March 21, 2004, 08:19:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

european son

just something i was thinking about recently.

in the fast-moving music world where ideas come thicker and faster than the music, there are often loads of projects and plans artists conceive that never quite get to being made.

sometimes the artist adapts what they've got and works with it, sometimes they come back to it years later, and sometimes its lost forever.

Brian Wilson playing Smile is one of the most obvious examples i can think of, and Paul's Let It Be

Bowie could have a whole book about these sorts of affairs. half of Diamond Dogs is music from his aborted 1984 stage show, half of Low was meant ot be the soundtrack on The Man Who Fell To Earth. He's still not released 2. Contamination , and most of the tracks on the rejected "Pin Ups II" album Toys have turned up on B-Sides.

the one project which really got all this sparked in my head was Kraftwerk's last LP, Tour De France Soundtracks; what i didn't know about it till recently was this

Quote"We had the concept of the Tour de France album a little more than 20 years ago," the band's founder Ralf Hutter told BBC World Service's The Music Biz programme.

Quote"At that time we were planning to do an album, and it just turned out to be a single.

i always thought that Tour De France was meant to be on the aborted Technopop album (which ended up as Electric Cafe, another story altogether).

anywayse, Tour De France Soundtracks is quite good, but not brilliant, and the '83 mix of the title track tacked on the end stands out a class ahead of the rest of the album.

d'you think bands should try and reclaim their past projects which didn't work our and make something of them? or should they consign them to history and move on?

fbb bastard

paddy mcaloon is a big one for all this.

apparently sitting in the vaults somewhere is completely written and/or recorded concept albums about jesus, elvis, micheal jackson and basketball

baring in mind that the first two are represented by tracks on jordan the comeback i would dearly love to hear the rest of them

european son

just remembered....

the post-Loveless album.... Kevin clearly thinks the answer to my question is "no".