Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
  • Total Members: 17,819
  • Latest: Jeth
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,576,478
  • Total Topics: 106,648
  • Online Today: 708
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 18, 2024, 04:39:32 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Are American Video Cassettes Playable Over Here?

Started by 12 Storey Crisis, March 21, 2004, 11:56:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
Oh well, the deed is done now. Just placed my order for Closure, as well as DVD copies of Naked Lunch, Institute Benjamenta and Curb Your Enthusiasm.

With regard to the latter purchases, the final page was making worrying noises about "region coding enhancing" as a means of preventing play on multi-region players (DVD manufacturers really are joyless cunts, aren't they?), but to hell with it, let the cards fall where they may.

Ambient Sheep

Quote from: "12 Storey Crisis"With regard to the latter purchases, the final page was making worrying noises about "region coding enhancing" as a means of preventing play on multi-region players (DVD manufacturers really are joyless cunts, aren't they?), but to hell with it, let the cards fall where they may.
RCE DVDs still play on many players apparently, although on some you have to do little tricksy things to get them to work.  The worst such trick I heard was that you have to put in any non-RCE Region 1 DVD first, then eject it, then put in the RCE Region 1 DVD.  That's about as bad as it gets, I believe, but I'm no expert.

foetalgod

halo#18 (bleedthrough) is out 'sometime' this year with no firm release date. interesting story on halo 10 (uk). will have to look into it. never heard it before.

El Unicornio, mang

Quote from: "Tokyo Sexwhale"Does anyone know how easy it is to get TVs, DVDs or videos in the USA that can play PAL media?

I would like to initiate a few Americans into the joys of Chris Morris and other British comedy, but  if the equipment is prohibitively expensive, I'll have to just burn it onto a DVD in mpeg format.

Probably one for The Unicorn - how are you managing without British TV?

I never watched that much TV before so I get by okay, although I do miss a few things, oddly it's more stuff like 'The Holiday Show' and 'Panorama' which I know I can't get on dvd or watch on a channel like BBC America, which just seems to have a constant cycle of Bargain Hunt, Last of the Summer Wine, Keeping Up Appearances and The Office.
There is a shop down the road called UK Connection which sells British stuff, and they stock video's of Only Fools and Horses and stuff which I presume are PAL.
Network TV here really is bad, just imagine ITV without the good drama shows, and adverts every five minutes. That said, Americans don't have TV licences, although I think there's a lot of people who'd gladly pay 100 quid to get a couple of good quality, advert free network channels. (There's cable channels like HBO currently available, of course, thank god for them)