Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 12:45:58 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Your Verbal Tics

Started by Mr. Analytical, January 21, 2007, 11:28:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr. Analytical

Inspired by this thread :

http://chilled.cream.org/forums/viewtopic.php?p=628970#628970

What do you find yourself saying incredibly often?

I say "Hurrah!" when reacting to anything good.  I picked it up off a friend and then my GF picked it up off me and now we're stuck in this hideous feedback loop.  Soon our conversations will be entirely composed of "hurrahs".

bloodycheekymonkey

I say 'The End" at the end of short conversations, and have an irritating habit of saying ''.....aaand it was aaaaaaaaaall a dream' at the end of others anecdotes.
I also do hand gestures and a wide eyed look to add to effect.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

'Nice one.'

'Excellent'

'Fuck off!'

'Bollocks'

'Totally'

What am I, 1994?

bloodycheekymonkey

and I do the 'wind it up gesture' when people are telling boring stories.

Mr. Analytical

I had you down more as the "Gadzooks!" type Shoulders.

Which is possibly one of the weirdest sentences I've ever written.

Oscar

Fab, chump, flump and bumface.
Hopefully I'll be using "Gadzooks" sometime soon.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

QuoteI had you down more as the "Gadzooks!" type Shoulders.

I can't remember ever saying that.

the midnight watch baboon

Eh?

I'll (unwarranted threat regarding something other conversee has said) [/i]you in a minute.

Errr

Good evening! (Tarrant-style)

Clone Army

Inappropriately zealous "Ahoy!"s plague my associates.

I also "beverage" alot.

swarfmonkey

Aye-aye!

Cunts

Mmm, now what would Jesus do?

TotalNightmare

i got into a horrible habit last week when nearly everytime my computer fucked up, i caught myself saying 'Excelsor'.

And then, when something went right for me i said 'Excelsior'

Infact, when i made a nice cuppa, i'd say 'Excelsior'.

I said it quite alot last week, i'm out of that now.

I now say 'Horty Torty Toot'

Shoulders?-Stomach!

I don't blame you. 'Excelsior' is the most elitist and therefore coolest word of all, as The Simpsons proved.

butnut

When I was in America I realised how often I say 'cheers' - mainly as it would get strange looks from people, as I think it's only used as a toast and not an informal way of expressing thanks.

Mr. Analytical

I also once picked up the habit of saying odd things and when people would go "Eh?" I would respond "...and thus I win".

Very Munnery.  Still, I'd rather quote the League Against Tedium than Little Britain.

Al Tha Funkee Homosapien

To express my derision of people recently I have been saying 'You Am A Twart' and 'You r-tard'. Nobody ever gets my references. Fucking cockers.

Labian Quest

Quote from: "TotalNightmare"i got into a horrible habit last week when nearly everytime my computer fucked up, i caught myself saying 'Excelsor'.

'Excelsior' is a good one, I might have to nick that. I used to say 'Yee-hah' in a cowboy accent in that sort of situation, like if I tripped over or something, probably just trying to avoid swearing too much.

buttgammon

Whenever I say "Damn", I can't help but say it in the style of the John and Peter characters from A Bit of Fry and Laurie. I sometimes find myself saying "Dammit John!  Dammit Peter! It's Marjorie!" and even "We're gonna put Uttoxeter on the goddammed map dammit!" Everyone I know is completely bemused by this, and I've a feeling somebody is going to try and get me some involuntary psychiatric help if I say it once more.

Is that the door? Dammit!

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Conversely, I'm always saying 'Peter' like Fry does in that sketch. 'Peteeeehhh'.

When I was young I had the most annoying habit of saying 'right?' at the end of nearly every sentence. Luckily, I managed to wean myself off doing that.

Morrisfan82

These change for me on a monthly-or-so basis. Only semi-conciously too, I think it's a kind of boredom.

I'm suprised my friend didn't punch me on Friday night for the amount of times I used the word 'bogus'. I had a similar thing with over-using 'discombobulated' back in the summer, which thankfully I've now managed to stop.

I also have a tendency, after jaffing on about something dull, to tack '...and is that not what Man has dreamed of since the beginning of time?!' onto the end.

And ever since I heard the phrase 'latex ass' in a Beck song, I've had a compulsion to either spout it apropos of nothing or try and crowbar it into conversation. I can hazily remember confiding in someone about being 'trapped in a latex ass of disappointment'.

I take no pride in any of this. It's a weakness.

Pseudopath

My brain seems to have forgotten the default "Waaah!" exclamation when surprised by something and has replaced it with somewhat-camper "Holy Cats!", which really doesn't capture the magnitude of ploughing into a cyclist on the A361.

samadriel

I suspect that my usage of "Fuckin' oath" in place of "certainly" occasionally confuses those who understand the term as an exclamation of surprise or dismay.

For a year or two now, I've had a massive habit of commenting on any remotely clever thing done by myself or some other individual group with "Yeah, I'm/they're/he's/she's not just looks!"  This is terrific when actually applied to unsightly people, as intended, but unfortunately, I've come to use it for anyone, irrespective of their attractiveness.

I've recently become very rigid (oo-er matron) on the correct usage of "fewer"/"less", and "who"/"whom".  Along similar lines, I'm downright militaristic about certain mispronunciations, refusing to use Merriam Websters' online dictionary on the grounds that it suggests that 'nucular' is an acceptable alternative pronunciation of 'nuclear' (What's next, fucking 'nuculus'?  Yeah yeah yeah, 'it's a living language', blah blah blah, fuck you, I still have standards!)

"Ta" for "thank you" confuses Americans (what doesn't, honestly?), but I like it.

I tend to call people 'dear', possibly because tuckshop ladies are allowed to, so I want to as well.  My best buddies are frequently addressed as 'mah nigga' (an unfortunate tic adopted after seeing that movie with Ethan Ethan'sacuntyname and wotsit, the black fella...  'Training Day', that's the one!) and playing too much GTA: San Andreas.  I frequently refer to pathetic things as 'pinche', another hangover from San Andreas, but that's as far as faux-ganger slang goes, fortunately.

Excessive use of 'buddy'.  I prefer simply 'mate', but I'm stuck in a 'buddy' groove at the moment.  Female friends are occasionally 'dollface', which would probably go down rather poorly if they weren't already accustomed to my dreadful mess of a dialect.  Or maybe I'm just more charming than I think.  But that would go against the other evidence rather strongly.

There's a lot of lite-Yiddish patter (your 'oy gevalt!'-s, etc.  Dunno how that one got so ingrained).

I'd really like to be able to purge the terminology that gets stuck in there due to me hating it.  Like the term "marijuana cigarette", which I think I got from a single panel of some deliberately-square-but-still-crap headshop comic from the '60s.  Words can't describe how much I hate that term, and yet I'm certain I've used it twice while indulging in typical nonsense asides among friends in conversation.

Something went very wrong about 20 years ago...

explodingvinyl

Quote from: "samadriel"I

There's a lot of lite-Yiddish patter (your 'oy gevalt!'-s, etc.  Dunno how that one got so ingrained).
I've been saying 'Oy-vey' a great deal. Including when the bus driver takes the speed humps way too fast and i jump out of my seat and hit my head.

Jack Shaftoe

I used to say 'marvellous' in shops when I was given my chance, but I consciously changed it to 'magic', because that seemed somehow more 'real'.

Now I've actually typed that out, I wish I was dead.

EDIT: Not 'chance', 'change'. Bloody hell arses.

Fry

Schlep - Like an elderly jewish gentleman. "No, I'm not going to schlep all the way tot he shop for YOU"

I still think it sounds cool.

Oh, I've also stolen the way Stephen Fry says 'diddums'.

chumfatty

I tend to say 'Outrageous' at anything I slightly disagree with, or just plain 'Pah!' when I can't be arsed to care.

I have also got in to the habit of saying 'Dude' in place of 'Hello' not in the Surfer - Dude, like totally!, just a slightly drawn out Dude accompanied by a slight head nod when greeting people.

Sam

I say "capital" a lot. Like if someone asks me how I am I will say: "Good, good....capital, even". I think I got it from a Will Self book, "My Idea of Fun", in which a character (the Fat Controller) uses it a lot.

Lt Plonker

I like saying "Hells tits!" when I'm angry.  It provokes a nice wave of giggles from the rest of the studio.