Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 11:02:20 PM

Login with username, password and session length

If you could be any historical figure who would it be?

Started by Ciarán2, January 22, 2007, 07:56:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ciarán2

This is a bit like the thread on identifying with fictional characters, only er, different.

If you had the choice to have lived the life of any historical figure - who would it be? Maybe you'd like to have experience life as a Beatle? Maybe you would like to have been George Harrison becuase he got a jot less attention than John or Paul did, and he's seen as the quiet, intelligent one. Or maybe you'd like to have been Ringo. But would you be prepared to accept the alcoholism?

How about being someone like Admiral Nelson, or Queen Elizabeth or Charles Darwin? Or Hugh Hefner? I wouldn't like to have been Hugh Hefner. Although he does seem to be a happy man.

For me, I'm aiming high here, I'd like to have been Buddha. Attaining enlightenment! Bloomin' heck!

Slaaaaabs

Dean Martin. Comedian, actor, singer and not as much of a cunt as Ol' Blue Eyes.

bloodycheekymonkey

You can be a Buddha.
Are you on the right path tho?

Ciarán2

No, I don't think so. Anyway I want to be a boddhisatva. They're the best Buddhists. They're the ones who, just before they attain the absolute eternal state of bliss that comes with full-scale enlightenment, they get a little inkling in their minds which says "nope, you have to ground yourself, go out and talk to people in an effort to alleviate human suffering". Not that I want to turn this into another religious thread or anything. you're right that theoretically anyone can be a buddha, so I'd like to be one please. Not just a Buddhist. I'm greedy, I want enlightenment now goddammit.

Still Not George

Alan Turing. God-king of computer science and official top bum bandit of WWII.

I'd want to be an explorer. I'll go with Leif Ericsson cos then I'd get to be a Viking too.

weekender

I'd be Natalie Imbruglia so I could sit and play with myself in front of a mirror.

Mister Cairo

I would have liked to have been Tony Benn. One of the richest lives I know of. And I saw him speak again last Friday. What an orator!

CaledonianGonzo

William Blake.  

Imagine walking about seeing angels everywhere; having Cleopatra stop by for an evening for a chat and a cup of tea.

No cash or respect when alive mind; but the posthumous kudos is to die for (so to speak).

Vaguely Phallic

Muhammed Ali, because I too have absolutely no quarrel with any Vietcong, as he said. I also had my bike stolen when I was... an adult. People mistake my dancing for Parkinson's (I know this because they're too embarrassed to criticise) and I sing like a bee. Can't say I've ever tried drowning a butterfly though.

Derek Trucks

QuoteIf you had the choice to have lived the life of any historical figure - who would it be? Maybe you'd like to have experience life as a Beatle? Maybe you would like to have been George Harrison becuase he got a jot less attention than John or Paul did, and he's seen as the quiet, intelligent one. Or maybe you'd like to have been Ringo. But would you be prepared to accept the alcoholism?

If it's Beatles you're talking I'd pick George Martin every time.  None of that touring/press crap, being able to single-handedly move music production foward and getting to lead quite a stress-free life otherwise.  And you'd be the most talented person there.

The Widow of Brid

Joyce Grenfell. Writing talent, privileged background, met Elvis, had her own stamp. Great stuff.

Neil

Miles Davis. Massively creative, over 120+ records, changed his music dramatically at least three times, made absolute landmark recordings, was hugely influential right across music including on people like Brian Eno, had an absolutely astounding pair of ears, got to work with some of the best musicians ever etc.  

The long drawn-out death is a bit off-putting though.  That and the fondness for Cyndi Lauper.

I'd love to be Lester Bangs, but he died too soon...while listening to the Human League.

Howj Begg

Al Tha Funkee Homosapien

I'd be weekender so I could sit and play with myself in front of little children.

Pythov

Hero of Alexandria

To be known as Hero, that must be great.

Rev

Quote from: "CaledonianGonzo"William Blake.
Imagine walking about seeing angels everywhere; having Cleopatra stop by for an evening for a chat and a cup of tea.

I'm convinced he made some of that shit up, you know.  Just like that lying Stephen King cunt.

I'd like to have been Hitler.  Not in an 'I'd have been a much nicer Hitler' sense, or an 'I'd have done the job properly' sense, but simply because truly malicious bastards fascinate me.  I don't have an ounce of that spirit in me, so a brief holiday in that mentality would do me the power of good.  I do get to leap back once everything's been sorted, right Al?

weekender

Quote from: "Al Tha Funkee Homosapien"I'd be weekender so I could sit and play with myself in front of little children.

I don't know, you masturbate once in front of a child at a bus stop, and the next thing you're labelled for life.  Honestly, this country.

Catalogue Trousers

I was going to say Baron Munchausen, but then I discovered that the real Munchausen had a pretty grotty ending to his life, so...

I'm gonna be Rudolf Erich Raspe. Librarian, jewel thief, and writer of The Surprising Adventures Of Baron Munchausen. Yeah, that'll do.

Jemble Fred

Hello!

(No wonder I never get to babysit my nephews...)

daisy11

Quote from: "CaledonianGonzo"William Blake.  

No cash or respect when alive mind; but the posthumous kudos is to die for (so to speak).

A good friend wrote his PhD on WB, and my suggestion that his visions could hve been induced by ergot were dismissed immediately.  I still think I had a point.  Fantastic paintings.  I see that you're based in Scotland, are you aware that the National Gallery has originals by the great artist (can only be examined by appointment but this could have changed, they're certainly worth a visit).

Sam

Possibily Franz Liszt.

The greatest pianist ever. I could woo ladies with my playing.

An incredible man, though.

Possibly someone in admin at the Spanish Inquisition.