Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 11:25:51 AM

Login with username, password and session length

terry jones

Started by smoker, March 22, 2004, 10:09:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

smoker

is live on guardian chat at 4.30 today, //www.guardian.co.uk

Jemble Fred

Do hope he reaches my very badly phrased question.

Quote  donaldmacleod - 06:20pm Mar 17, 2004 BST (6.)

V much enjoyed your case for the Middle ages but what did they laugh at in the Middle Ages, do you think? Black (death) humour or more slapstick - and have any medieval jokes survived (this is not a dig at your material).
------------------------------------------------------------------------
  TerryJones - 04:59pm Mar 22, 2004 BST (6.1) New:

Well they laughed at a lot of things - Henry II's favourite performer was Roland le Pettour who masterwork was "a leap a whistle and a fart" . There was another king who rewarded one of his servants because he kept falling off his horse and made the king laugh a lot. There are also medieval joke books that survive. One describes the story about a beggar who was in the habit of sitting about a pie shop so that while he ate his bread he could smell the meat pies cookingl. Eventually the baker tried to charge him for it and a quarrel broke out. When the wise fool appears he tells the poor man to throw his shilling on the ground, which he does then the fool turns to the baker and says well he's paid you for the smell of your pies with the sound of his money

Do you think Peter Baynham has the world's oldest joke book?

Jemble Fred

Bastard. And he answered so many sodding awful questions too.

Des Nilsen

Sort of a thread hijack for the sake of putting a nugget of news Python related somewhere...

Python's Life Of Brian will be re-released in the US.

That's from BBC news, and apparently the ad campaign will ask:

Mel or Monty?
The Passion or The Python?

-