Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 08:58:46 AM

Login with username, password and session length

The Harpoon Series 2

Started by Purple Tentacle, February 04, 2004, 12:18:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Purple Tentacle

This is a bit of a request really, but I was wondering if there were any plans to put series 2 of The Harpoon up?

Is it a bandwidth problem, or are they simply not in your hands? I downloaded them (series 1) about 6 months ago, but I've been listening to them on an almost constant cycle for the past few months, and have fallen utterly in love.

If it's any incentive I promise to discuss them in the updates forum, with myself if need be,  if they go up......

Neil

Dutton sent ALL of them on to us!  Very nice chap indeed.  I've got abuot half of series 2 encoded, I'll try and get the rest of them plus series 3 sorted soon.  Encoding is a nightmare for me y'see as my line-in is shagged, so it's a real balancing act to get the lead sitting in the right position.  Shame my sister doesn't have a stereo near her puter or I could encode stuff on her spanky new puter when I'm down there.  I'll get them sorted, I still have to do a 93 GLR show as well.  I hardly listen to the tapes as I'm shit scared of them breaking so i really do need to get my arse in gear (seeing that people are enjoying the shows does help motivate me, otherwise I feel like I'm wasting my time somewhat.)

Purple Tentacle

Cheers neil, obviously you're very busy with other things at the moment so don't want to nag or anything, I'm just happy that they've not evaporated into the stratosphere unrecorded.

I'm just bitter because it's bloody dull downloading video files on 56k, and it's forced me to take an active interest in radio comedy once again, which is very good for anyone.

Neil

Right, I'm finally going to get my arse in gear and get this other 03 show encoded, sorry to everyone for the delay.  It means spending the rest of the night wrestling with my sound card to try and get the lead sitting in EXACTLY the right spot of my broken Line In socket but I'll be up all night anyway so I should get it done.  I'll try and get Harpoon series 2 sorted as well.

Neil

I do want to try and get working on the main site again, so Darrell, I couldn't pester you for those couple of tracks that are needed for the Morris Music section, could I?  Would be great to get that and this 93 show up this week.

Darrell

Quote from: "Neil"I do want to try and get working on the main site again, so Darrell, I couldn't pester you for those couple of tracks that are needed for the Morris Music section, could I?  Would be great to get that and this 93 show up this week.

Oddly enough, I went to encode them today after I'd done those Little Britain / People Like Us bits, but realised I'd lent the videos to someone. I'll nip round shortly to get them back and have them for you tonight (I'll probably have the MP3s at about 1am or 2am-ish).

Hans

Second series of The Harpoon would be great.  I've had The Harpoon and On The Hour on pretty much constantly for about two months now, it's great how I still fail to remember most of the jokes and then they make me laugh every time.

Neil

Coo thanks, although there's not that much of a rush really, if I know they're getting done then I can start sorting out the page with the lyrics and whatnot.  

Not a fecking peep through this line-in socket so far, usually I can get at least one channel.   FUCK, you'll all love Calls To Franco.  Is it actually true that using the mic socket is just as good as the line in?

Macerate and Petrify

Ooh, I wasnt even aware there were other series of the Harpoon. I havent listened to it for a while, but I always think it would have been better if I had experienced/seen that kind magazine. I'm sure they must have existed, but I'm far too youthful to know of such things.

Good luck with the recording :/

ApexJazz

Tis' about time there was a thread about The Harpoon around here (you cats have been remarkably silent about it).
Well, I for one, love it.  There's always an idea or brilliant turn of phrase that can produce involuntary noises out of my face. Some bits are so silly, like the professor looking for snow, that you just have to surrender at some point.  The use of sound effects is constantly inventive ("...and so ends the noble elephant's life cycle"  * gun shots * )  the performances range from workman-like to inspired, the overall production is great.
I also adore how filthy some of the lines are, (obscenity dressed up with tuxedo and combed hair is always best) On top of all the innuendo, the show is able to sneek in some German and Spanish swearing. Well done.
Trying unsuccessfully to think of something controversial to inspire some discussion about the show....uuhmmm.....anyone who doesn't like The Harpoon doesn't deserve comedy etc. etc.

Darrell

Have done an long edit of the Day Today theme (1:42) from mono captures. Sounds pretty good (I'm very pleased with the edits), but I'd like to redo it when the DVD comes out for better clarity (and stereoness). Also there's a microscopic little flub near the very end caused by a incy wincy tape dropout which I can't get rid of, sorry about that. Use this in the meantime, and come April I'll provide the Special Edition...

Am just cleaning up Formby's Subterrean Homesick Blues for you.

As for what else there is, I don't think you've got 'Louise Botting' yet, or the Brass Eye theme. If you're still stuck, I'll get those tomorrow.

Darrell

Right, uploading them now...

Neil

Lovely, huge thanks!  Now I'll have to do some work, argh!  Had no joy with the line-in so I've decided to just go with the mic socket instead.  Can anyone confirm or deny whether that's worse for encoding?  For some reason I am under the impression that it's not as good, but fuck it, I want this GLR show done and out there.  20 minutes or so left and then I can mp3 it down!  If the mic socket works out ok then I'll be able to get Le Petomane sorted out and whatever else I've promised to do on here in the past.

Darrell

George Formby - Subterranean Homesick Blues (317k)
Sorry, I misspelt the filename through rushing. Please correct it.

The Day Today Newstheme (2.33MB)

Neil

Yay, thank you Darrell, very much appreciated!  I'll try and keep some momentum going now and get the Morris Music page up this week.  Should be very handy.  Ooh, sounds like the GLR tape is about to end so I can mp3 this and see how it sounds.

Neil

Here's a 30-second clip, sounds bloody good to me, what do the rest of you think?  Safe enough to carry on encoding through the mic socket?  

http://chilled.cream.org/mp3/glrmictest.mp3  

Darrell

Sounds fine to me, although you've got my problem of it being in mono.

Whilst capping those Day Today things earlier, I discovered a really subtle joke in episode 2 which I'd never noticed / heard of before. During the bit with Iannucci as Hellwyn Ballard, everyone knows about O'Hanraha'hanrahan being twatted in the background, but look closely at Morris' character Collin Haye - he's got false hands!

Neil

See, now I don't know whether it's the mic socket that's in mono or the tape itself?!   Hmm, I think it's overmodulated anyway, and ApexJazz confirmed that it was hitting the red a lot.  I think I'll reencode it now in mono.  Steve Bass2rez has offered me a new sound card so that should fix all my encoding woes, but for now, a mono capture will do cause I'm sick of not being able to share this one.

ApexJazz

i'll throw in a word towards the Morris GLR's...i think they are the most fascinating Morrisanna items on the website. That last one uploaded from 93 is the best I have heard yet. Morris'  talent shining brightly: the technical mucking around in the Wayne Carr bit was inspired, the music seems a bit more bearable (or has it been edited up?), and his speed and panache going through the callers is amazing.

Darrell

Yeah, the mic socket is in mono - it's what I'm saddled with, whilst my swanky friend has his fancy stereo one and hardly ever uses it. The bastard.

Neil

Well, I had to give up on the line-in!  I even installed new sound card drivers but now I've lost the little mixer doobry so balls to it, a mono show will do fine until I get this new card and then I'll make an upgrade.  No point putting this off as it's so desperately difficult for me to motivate myself.  I'm looking forward to having it as an mp3 myself, I really do panic about playing these rare tapes, and I've no facilities for making copies anymore.

Neil

Quote from: "ApexJazz"i'll throw in a word towards the Morris GLR's...i think they are the most fascinating Morrisanna items on the website. That last one uploaded from 93 is the best I have heard yet. Morris'  talent shining brightly: the technical mucking around in the Wayne Carr bit was inspired, the music seems a bit more bearable (or has it been edited up?), and his speed and panache going through the callers is amazing.

Yeah totally agree, that Wayne Carr is just awesome, pure Everett-style production overload, absolutely stunning piece.  Hang on, I clipped that one:

http://chilled.cream.org/mp3/glr/waynecarr/chris_morris-wayne_carr-virgin-cookdandbombd.co.uk._080593.mp3

As I said before, this is just around the time Virgin 1215 started on MW.

GLR shows really are fantastic, I can't get enough of em.  Oooh, we still have about 3 more to add to the site, I will have to dig them out and stick them in my Soulseek shares.  I might try and torrent the CaB GLR CD once Toby sets me up with our own tracker.

Neil

OK finished at last, Harpoon 2-1 and 2-2 are in my shares, I did them when I could still get my line-in to work by selotaping it so they're nice stereo rips.  The mono capture of the 24th April 03 GLR show, hereafter known as Calls To Franco, is in there too.  Grab em in the Cook'd and Bomb'd soulseek room, or wait for me to upload them sometime today.

Purple Tentacle

The Harpoon is being repeated on BBC7 from next Thursday.

Godzilla Bankrolls

Excellent news! I hope they run them in the right order.

ApexJazz

heh, playing them in order is the least of the worries. I hope the program fares better in repeat and archival form than On The Hour did.