Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 16, 2024, 08:16:13 PM

Login with username, password and session length

"millimetre-wave" weapon

Started by Baxter, January 26, 2007, 08:02:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Baxter

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/6300985.stm

Just read an article on the BBC website concerning the new non-lethal weapon that the US is working on called "the Active Denial System" it basically heats up the top half millimetre of skin causing intense pain at a distance, what really got on my nerves was the constant usage of the phrase "millimetre-wave" and the denial it was anything like a microwave yet the wavelength of the shortest microwave radiation is around 1mm.

I generally hate bad science whenever i encounter it but the phrasing in this article has really pushed me into a rage "[an] Invisible beam of millimetre-wave energy".

I'm not sure where i see this thread going other than dropping off pretty quickly.

Mister Cairo

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/science/nature/6295567.stm

They are also developing artifical black ice to make enemies "slip up". They make it sounds like two evil teenagers tripping up old grannies with shopping.

"Oh, down I go...I'll never be able to blow that Jeep up now I've dropped me RPG...ooh, I wonder if the local hospital 's open...oh, it's a smouldering ruin. At least I've got Are You Being Served on DVD back at the secret hideout"

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/4767428.stm

They also want to turn sharks into spies.

I'm surprised all this is public knowledge.

Brutus Beefcake

Good science isn't interesting apparently.

Blumf

Apparently they insist anybody having this system demo'd on them (friendly journalists) remove all metal objects (pens, watches, etc) and those with contact lenses in have to sit it out. People with a basic understanding of micro... sorry millimetre-waves will understand why and wonder about this systems supposed safety, thank god the average journo is a science thicko eh?

Pinball

My favourite 'new' (but they're not actually..) weapon from the United States of War Criminals is the ultrasonic gun that makes people involuntarily defaecate, as well as causing intense abdominal pain. Oh, and vertigo. Good for crowd control.

And we all know that no self-respecting suicide "bummer" is going to want to stagger around with soiled trousers.

Less amusingly, the laser weapon that is fired from helicopters or missiles that permanently blinds everyone who sees it e.g. thousands of troops. That's nice. The added benefit is, of course, the cost and general inconvenience to the enemy of looking after all those blind guys. Holy Triffids, Batman!

Not to mention la piece de la resistance, the biological weapons, like anthrax and botulism derivatives that are resistant to all antibiotics, and hence would be unstoppable if unleashed. It's 28 Days Later, dude. Actually, one of my favourite TV show openings is "The Stand" by Stephen King, where all the secret military lab staff are dead, while cool music plays in the background. Perfect horror. But I digress.

To be honest, why doesn't the USA just nuke us all now and get it over with? They clearly want to. 'That's what they do'. Whereas the role of us Europeans is to piss and moan about it, and pass new legislation.

Santa's Boyfriend

Quote from: "Pinball"Actually, one of my favourite TV show openings is "The Stand" by Stephen King, where all the secret military lab staff are dead, while cool music plays in the background. Perfect horror. But I digress.

"Don't Fear the Reaper", if I recall correctly.

Quote from: "Pinball"And we all know that no self-respecting suicide "bummer" is going to want to stagger around with soiled trousers.
Brilliant.

Al Tha Funkee Homosapien

Quote from: "Pinball"My favourite 'new' (but they're not actually..) weapon from the United States of War Criminals is the ultrasonic gun that makes people involuntarily defaecate, as well as causing intense abdominal pain. Oh, and vertigo. Good for crowd control.

I thought the whole 'brown note' thing was an urban myth. Any links to info on said weapon?

Less amusingly, the laser weapon that is fired from helicopters or missiles that permanently blinds everyone who sees it e.g. thousands of troops. That's nice. The added benefit is, of course, the cost and general inconvenience to the enemy of looking after all those blind guys. Holy Triffids, Batman!

Not sure a laser weapon that did that would be all that useful. All the enemy would have to do would be to pull on a snazzy pair of shades. Are you sure you're not getting confused with targeting lasers for laser guided weapons. I know that the British version of the Apache attack helicopter has a reduced power laser due to fears of causing eye damage to people whilst doing training in the UK.

QuoteNot to mention la piece de la resistance, the biological weapons, like anthrax and botulism derivatives that are resistant to all antibiotics, and hence would be unstoppable if unleashed. It's 28 Days Later, dude. Actually, one of my favourite TV show openings is "The Stand" by Stephen King, where all the secret military lab staff are dead, while cool music plays in the background. Perfect horror. But I digress.

I remember watching that mini-series when I was about 10. It scared the shit out of me.

QuoteTo be honest, why doesn't the USA just nuke us all now and get it over with? They clearly want to. 'That's what they do'. Whereas the role of us Europeans is to piss and moan about it, and pass new legislation.

They need somewhere to park their planes.