Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 01:42:14 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Techy Thread *no requesting or giving out cracks* *no Windows activation stuff please*

Started by Neil, January 26, 2007, 10:46:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Neil

Keep it legal, please, no asking for cracks, no giving out cracks, and so on.  Thanks.

InfiniteFury

Superb - thanks Neil. I'm having a problem when trying to install a new program and I get the following error box coming up:

Exefile.exe - Application Error
The application failed to initialize properly (0xc0150004). Click on OK to terminate the application.
OK

It's driving me mental and the internet isn't being very helpful. Does anyone know the fix for this please?

Marv Orange

Quote from: "InfiniteFury"Superb - thanks Neil. I'm having a problem when trying to install a new program and I get the following error box coming up:

Exefile.exe - Application Error
The application failed to initialize properly (0xc0150004). Click on OK to terminate the application.
OK

It's driving me mental and the internet isn't being very helpful. Does anyone know the fix for this please?

something I found

exefile.exe is eve (the game), they renamed it probly so non pc experts didnt realise it was eve taking all there memory.

shed any light?

InfiniteFury

That's actually not a bad first page reminder Santa!

Anyway, with superbly typical timing, I think I've solved my problem by reinstalling Framework which was chucking a tizzy. Fingers crossed

Tis the magic of the CaB techie thread I tell thee.....

Wilbur

Not enough info , as always. XP  Home, Pro, Linux ?

If its XP boot into safe mode using F8 select the with cd drivers option and try again.

Honestly it would be easier if you can give us a properly documented problem.

What program ?

Its a memory exception I expect but you have given us nothing to work on.

Evil Knevil

Can anybody recommend a private dealer in Central London that fixes Macs?

The DVD drive on my Mac Mini has been acting up, and I'd like to get a ram upgrade, but I'm too chicken to try popping open the case myself.

InfiniteFury

Well Wilbur you've been very helpful to me in the past so I shouldn't really say this but:

I'm a fucking idiot - I don't *know* what you need to know software-wise

Really, if I had to guess I may as well have documented the color of the case and whether I prefer my Man Utd mousemat to the Mogwai one the missus had done for me.

Having said that - my problem is fixed which is the good news and I really do appreciate your offer of help :-)

Wilbur

OK fair comment.

I'll try and  put a tick list together. I'd do it now but I am a bit  weary.

Expect it early next week. If I dont get time over the weekend.

Basically though describe the problem and your O/S and how you have tried to fix it.

All  the best

Wilbur

Uzi Lover

Every time I restart, it freezes on the black screen. I have to manually unplug and plug, which makes the computer do a slight jittery sound after the black screen and then Windows can load. Anyone know what's wrong?

brilliant.  glad this thread is back.

Right. has anyone got a crack for the latest version of Photoshop CS........... I'm a joker me.

>>Not hugely technical, and i feel stupid for asking, but how do you force Windows XP or Word maybe to use UK dictionaries.  It seems to consistently default to US.  Is there somewhere in Control Panel, for instance, Languages??

Also another lesser technical query, about when you have Word (07 I believe) as e-mail editor - you have styles and formatting right, but how do you auto format the entire e-mail - for instance url links and body text.  When I paste in text from elsewhere it retains the old formatting.  So I'd like to hit a button and magically format an e-mail.  Is there anyway to use Themes?

many thanks.  next time I'll ask one about machine coding partition tables.  i'll ask it in binary.

Also anyone know how to dual boot (you know wot i mean) IE6 and 7?

Don't hate me for using IE.  It's for work.  The company standard is 6, but I want tabs!! and they've blocked Firefox sites.

Hypnotoad.

Quote from: "The Man With Brass Eyes"brilliant.  glad this thread is back.

Right. has anyone got a crack for the latest version of Photoshop CS........... I'm a joker me.

>>Not hugely technical, and i feel stupid for asking, but how do you force Windows XP or Word maybe to use UK dictionaries.  It seems to consistently default to US.  Is there somewhere in Control Panel, for instance, Languages??

Also another lesser technical query, about when you have Word (07 I believe) as e-mail editor - you have styles and formatting right, but how do you auto format the entire e-mail - for instance url links and body text.  When I paste in text from elsewhere it retains the old formatting.  So I'd like to hit a button and magically format an e-mail.  Is there anyway to use Themes?

many thanks.  next time I'll ask one about machine coding partition tables.  i'll ask it in binary.

With regard languages, start with Control Panel > Regional and Languagem make sure Standards and Formats is set to English (United Kingdom) and Location is United Kingdom

Select Languages tab, click Details and ensure Keyboard is English United Kingdom. If not, you can add it and then select it as default in the drop down box above

Then in Word, select Tools > Language > Set Language. I'm referring to Office 2003 here, so YMMV

QuoteAlso anyone know how to dual boot (you know wot i mean) IE6 and 7?

When you upgrade to IE7, some of IE6 is left. I can't remember where (I kept IE6 on here) but probably if you search for IE6 on your PC (start > search > files and folders) you will find what appears to be the old version. It also looks like the old version when you fire it up, but I believe its just the older interface to the newer application libraries and such. In fact, from memory, when you start using it it switches to IE7 interface. The only way I know, is to run VMWare or Virtual PC to run another copy of XP with just IE6 (and decline the update when MS push it out), but this is serious overkill unless you are developing websites/web applications, these are the only people I know that do that

Quotenext time I'll ask one about machine coding partition tables.  i'll ask it in binary

There are only 10 types of people in the world, those that understand binary, and those that don't.....

fanny splendid

The free Norton AntiVirus that came with the new PC. It's not been fully installed yet as I believe it doesn't have a very good reputation? Should I bother?

Yours, an innocent Mac user.

mook

When this question came up last time a lot of people said to steer away from norton for various reasons, I can't remember what they said about it though. I was advised to use either of the following free options:

http://free.grisoft.com/doc/1

or

http://www.avast.com/eng/avast_4_home.html

or if you don't mind shelling out a few quid for protection, I've heard that

http://www.yellowbussecurity.co.uk/nod32-Products.asp is about the best out there.

Wilbur

QuoteThe free Norton AntiVirus that came with the new PC. It's not been fully installed yet as I believe it doesn't have a very good reputation? Should I bother?

No its rubbish. Banish it from your machine.

InfiniteFury

I've used a combination of AVG, Adaware and Spybot for my nastiness needs over the last 3 years or so and....touch wood etc

AVG monitors ongoing stuff and I do a full weekly scan with all three.

Avast had a nasty habit of forcing its popups while I was Warcrafting and screaming "VIRUS DATABASE HAS BEEN UPDATED" which was an annoyance that probably could have been killed in an option setting but, well, that's my feedback.

InfiniteFury

I've used a combination of AVG, Adaware and Spybot for my nastiness needs over the last 3 years or so and....touch wood etc

AVG monitors ongoing stuff and I do a full weekly scan with all three.

Avast had a nasty habit of forcing its popups while I was Warcrafting and screaming "VIRUS DATABASE HAS BEEN UPDATED" which was an annoyance that probably could have been killed in an option setting but, well, that's my feedback.

mook

Whenever I start up my PC, before windows loads I get a black screen with a load of techy looking words and numbers on it, it says something like "CPU is unworkable" and I have to press F1 to continue to start XP.

Any ideas how to fix this?

Neil

What are the mp3 V0 files?  I mean, is that some new way of encoding them?  I see them on Oink a lot, and am just encoding stuff for the site now, so want to know whether I should switch.  Ta.

Wilbur

QuoteWhenever I start up my PC, before windows loads I get a black screen with a load of techy looking words and numbers on it, it says something like "CPU is unworkable" and I have to press F1 to continue to start XP.

One of the boot checks is failing. I've seen this before. Buggered if I can remember the fix. Have you got an XP cd ?

If so boot off it and select repair.

Then

fixboot

fixmbr.

I'd back everything up first.

TTT

Quote from: "Neil"What are the mp3 V0 files?  I mean, is that some new way of encoding them?  I see them on Oink a lot, and am just encoding stuff for the site now, so want to know whether I should switch.  Ta.

Just had a quick look on the hydrogen audio forums and it seems V0 files are basically just using the extreme quality preset settings. The V0 VBR target bitrate is 245 whereas with V1 the VBR target bitrate is 225 and this continues on all the way to V9 which has a VBR target bitrate of 65.

You can see the full list of bitrates etc here

If you are encoding old cassettes etc I doubt you will need to use V0.

Neil

Aaah cheers TTT, googling for info on that was tricky without knowing where to look.  I'll just stick to 160/190 CBR then.

opyty

This is a decent step by step guide with links to further info and what have you. V0 and V2 have been becoming more popular (and recommended over CBR) on Oink for the last year or so and it's not really any more difficult than any other encoding once you've set it up.

TTT

Quote from: "Neil"Aaah cheers TTT, googling for info on that was tricky without knowing where to look.  I'll just stick to 160/190 CBR then.

It might be worth trying out "-V 3 --vbr-new " (~175 kbps) as it should give you higher quality/lower filesizes than using 160CBR/192CBR due to spreading the bitrate properly across the file (which would be useful if encoding shows with music/speech in different parts of the show, i.e. music shows etc). Also vbr-new is suposed to speed up the encoding while giving higher quality than the standard VBR so may be worth using that if you have a lot of stuff to get through.

mook

Quote from: "Wilbur"
QuoteWhenever I start up my PC, before windows loads I get a black screen with a load of techy looking words and numbers on it, it says something like "CPU is unworkable" and I have to press F1 to continue to start XP.

One of the boot checks is failing. I've seen this before. Buggered if I can remember the fix. Have you got an XP cd ?

If so boot off it and select repair.

Then

fixboot

fixmbr.

I'd back everything up first.

Thanks Wilbur, I'll give it a go.

Quote from: "The Man With Brass Eyes"Also anyone know how to dual boot (you know wot i mean) IE6 and 7?

I haven't tried it myself but this could be worth a look.

Alternatively, try this which is a version of Firefox designed to run off a USB memory drive.

effinnelle

and to think it was only yesterday I was cursing the disappearance of tech quezzies....

I bought a domain name on behalf of a friend, using www.namecheap.com  a couple of years ago, since then my friend has ignored renewal messages and so his ownership has lapsed. Namecheap no longer shows the domain name in his account, but nor will it allow him to repurchase it. Their Whois reports:

Domain Name: AMATHUSDBC.COM
Registrar: ENOM, INC.
Whois Server: whois.enom.com
Referral URL: http://www.enom.com
Name Server: DNS1.NAME-SERVICES.COM
Name Server: DNS2.NAME-SERVICES.COM
Name Server: DNS3.NAME-SERVICES.COM
Name Server: DNS4.NAME-SERVICES.COM
Name Server: DNS5.NAME-SERVICES.COM
Updated Date: 21-nov-2006
Creation Date: 23-jul-2004
Expiration Date: 23-jul-2007

So i tried to contact www.enom.com.but they never reply. Enom's whois says:

This name has EXPIRED, the former whois information is:
Contact Type Registrant
Organization Name:    Whois Privacy Protection Service, Inc.
First Name:    Whois
Last Name:    Agent
Address 1:    PMB 368, 14150 NE 20th St - F1
Address 2:    C/O amathusdbc.com
City:    Bellevue
StateProvince:    WA
PostalCode:    98007
Phone:    +1.4252740657
Fax:    +1.4256960234
EmailAddress:    

and it also reports that status:    registrar-lock
                                                            clientDeleteProhibited

Does anyone know what the registrar lock is and also how do I go about getting the domain backl for my chum? ta xxx