Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 05:16:05 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Who else wears glasses?

Started by Mister Cairo, January 27, 2007, 07:57:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

El Unicornio, mang

I don't wear glasses but I have very limited sight in my right eye. I might get a monocle.

Ron Seal

Quote from: "Milo"My current ones were £150 just for the lenses - are the 1.9s much more than that?

I'm not in retail anymore, we deal with complex prescriptions, so I dunno about prices.  I can tell you that they will be expensive though, so £150-200 sounds about right.  Shop around, you might get them for the lower end of that price bracket.

I've worn them since I was about six.  Sort of grudgingly until I was about ten and then properly after.  Putting on my glasses is the first thing I do when I wake up now. My eyesight is appalling at best.

rjd2

I have reasonable eye sight, I do wear need glasses though, I like the idea of laser surgery but the price is nasty. I also hate the idea that people don specs because it may make them look more intelligent.

Some people are meant to wear specs though, I think. I had a friend who wore glasses and then had laser surgery.  Every time I saw him after that, he had a look of mild surprise on his face.  His eyes sort of looked wrong.

Mister Cairo

I think I look better with glasses, my face looks a bit scary without. Maybe it's because I have to go quite near to the mirror to see myself in almost focus, but I often make faces to try and scare myself.

Quote from: "trotsky assortment"Some people are meant to wear specs though, I think. I had a friend who wore glasses and then had laser surgery.

See, the main reason why I won't have laser surgery is that I heard you can smell your eyes burning when the laser off the little flaps, or whatever it is they do. I'll say that again: you can smell your eyes burning -- that's the kind of thing I have nightmares about, I'm not about to pay £800 per eye for the privilege.

Morrisfan82

I've worn specs since I was about 11. I used to sit too close to the telly when Neighbours was on and royally fucked my eyesight over the course of a couple of years. Of course, once my eyes were screwed I then exacerbated things by keeping quiet about it for fear of getting a bollocking, sat even closer to the telly and, well, you get the idea. It was a routine eye test in school that ratted me out.

I never really liked the way I looked in glasses until I was about 20 and got a decent-looking pair of specs. Unfortunately I'm still wearing them and there's only about three clusters of molecules holding their structure together.

I've been meaning to get some new ones for some time, as you can imagine, and was until last week thinking of getting some proper 1950s type ones with the bakelite frame going across the top. The more they make me look like a mental patient the better, in my opinion.

However, last week I shaved my head and I now realise that without hair, my glasses seem to dominate my face a bit too much, whereas before they were quite well-proportioned thanks to my stupid hair. So I'm coming to the realisation that I'd probably look better without them now, and might get contacts instead. What's the deal with contacts, do you have to keep chucking them away and re-ordering them or something? I've never had them before. Are they expensive?

My girlfriend asked me the other day if I would ever consider laser surgery, and I said definitely not. My reasoning being that, when I was unemployed some years ago, every single week in the job section of the paper I'd see vacancies for eye laser technicians, and they always said 'absolutely no experience required, training is provided', and seemed to hint quite strongly that they were prepared to take anyone. I myself was tempted to apply on several occasions. So I'm not enamoured with the thought of some ham-fisted kid on a Job Centre-avoidance tip firing lasers into my eyes in a 'requires pinpoint accuracy to avoid permanent blindness' type way.

A very myopic friend of mine recently bought a new pair of glasses online for very little money. He bought a frame he liked off of one site, then once they'd been delivered he sent the frame and his eye prescription off to another company who ground and fitted the lenses. Hey presto, brand new specs for about £40, I think he said. They look good too.

Lady Beaner

Could have been this site:
http://www.glassesdirect.co.uk/release_000/

I thought about having a look at them and chickened out. Though one of my mates did get some contact lenses off them and had no problems. me on the other hand went like a lemming to SpecSavers and spent a shitload.

Deadman97

Ever since I first saw glasses like these, the idea has fascinated me:

That's right, a piercing on the bridge of the nose (and possibly through the cartilage) bears the weight of a pair of custom-ground lenses. They don't have to be as fiddly as they look, I'd imagine- surely strong magnets or other forms of fastening could be used to attach the lenses to the piercing? Thoughts?

ziggy starbucks

I wear spectacles, I call them spectacles. 2 for 1 from specsavers circa 100 quid.

I get annoyed at those laser eye correction adverts that sugest that if you're a spectacle wearer you can't do anything. Running, jumping, copulating, laughing, loving, smiling, taking your kids out to the park. Apparently, all these things you can only really enjoy once some lasers have been blasted in your eyes.

petula dusty

I'm not sure about them and not just because I'd rather not be pierced through the nose, I'd also feel uncomfortable not having them anchored round my ears. They look as if they'd be flapping about and the slightest knock would send them hurtling to the floor. Unless they are bolted to the piercing in which case you'd end up on the floor as well. They're an updated version of the old pinz-nez type (as worn by every French teacher in every Enid Blyton boarding school story).

My entire family is very short-sighted and either wear contacts or glasses and one sister has had laser treatment. Incidentally, the youngest brother also no longer has the use of one eye after an unfortunate incident with a chisel when he was 13. This meant he couldn't join the Navy and he can't experience the wonder of Magic Eye pictures.

I noticed I needed glasses aged 13, badgered my mum into paying extra for 'private' frames and then never wore them because they were hideous. My eyesight isn't that bad but I can no longer stand everything being slightly blurred so I wear my glasses all the time now. And because I'm a single parent work-shy benefit-claiming scumbag I get NHS vouchers. Two pairs of glasses from, yes, Specsavers for about £70 I think.

petula dusty

Stupid quoting rather than editing bollocks

ziggy starbucks

I agree with dusty that those specs look rather fragile. What if a bully tries to rip them off, half of your face would go with them.

That doesn't even bear thinking about.

Deadman97

True, but I reckon with alternative fixings it could work nicely, while still looking awesome. Magnets, people- magnets.

Nah.  I've seen The Jerk.  ;-)

Lady Beaner

Pissed night out, you've had a few too many, you trip over the curb or in my case... your own feet...

...falling on your face = glass in your eyes!

Think Deadman, THINK!

I despair with you sometimes, I really do.

SweetRosalyn

I got my last couple of pairs of glasses online, for £13  and about £20, respectively, frames and lenses inclusive, both with free scratch proof coating stuff, and the latter with a blue tint (although said tint turned out to be pretty much invisible and utterly pointless).

I'm -2.00 in both eyes, with a little astigmatism in my right eye as well (my prescription says Cyl - 050 and Axis 115, which I gather isn't very strong at all).

I wear my glasses pretty much nonstop except when sleeping.  I know my vision's not that bad, really, compared to a lot of people, but I just hate talking to people and not being able to tell if they think they're making eye contact with me, and having to squint at everything.  I once tried to hail an ambulance because I mistook it for a bus when it came around the corner.

Deadman97

Quote from: "Lady Beaner"Think Deadman, THINK!

I despair with you sometimes, I really do.
MAGNETS. They'd hold the lenses firm when necessary, and they'd allow them to pop off at the first sign of trauma.

Lady Beaner

I would laugh... if I didn't think you were deadly serious about this.

Deadman97

I've never been more serious about anything in my life.

Lady Beaner

Right, next meet - I am bringing a mallet, nails, and two bit of perspex... oh and the fucking MAGNETS. I won't even charge you for the service.

Suttonpubcrawl

Quote from: "SweetRosalyn"I got my last couple of pairs of glasses online, for £13  and about £20, respectively, frames and lenses inclusive, both with free scratch proof coating stuff, and the latter with a blue tint (although said tint turned out to be pretty much invisible and utterly pointless).

Where the hell did you get glasses that cheap from? I'll go and get myself a few extra pairs!

SweetRosalyn

http://specsdirectuk.com

and

http://www.selectspecs.com

were the ones I used, but there are loads of places that do them for that sort of price online.  Downside is you have less choice and you can't try them on, but if you know the sort of thing that suits you, or just want some spare glasses for backup purposes, it's great.  

The glasses seem to be the same quality as the ones I get from high street opticians, I've not had any problems with them (although, as aforementioned, the tint was disappointing).

Ron Seal

If any of you are considering rimless glasses, you will NEED, polycarb or Trivex/Trilogy lenses. Don't go thinking you'll be alright with normal plastic lenses, you WILL end up losing an eye.  As far as laser eye surgery is concerned, ever wondered why all opticians still wear glasses when they could undoubtedly afford the surgery?  Burning the curvature of your eye is never going to be a good idea, and the effects aren't permanent  anyway.  Your eyes will deteriorate at the normal rate, if you hate wearing specs so much, wear daily disposable contacts.  They aren't prone to as many possible infections as monthly ones, and it's never a good idea to leave then in overnight no matter what the advertising tells you.

Suttonpubcrawl

Kinell, thanks for that SweetRosalyn. I've just gone and bought a pair of plastic framed glasses for £20. I've wanted to try out a pair of plastic frames for ages, and at that price I couldn't afford not to. Perhaps they won't be constantly falling off my face as well. Exciting!

ziggy starbucks

Quote from: "Deadman97"
MAGNETS. They'd hold the lenses firm when necessary, and they'd allow them to pop off at the first sign of trauma.

what have magnets ever done for us? Nothing, that's what!

if you think they are going to save your eyes then you are going to be disappointed and blind

swarfmonkey

Quote from: "ziggy starbucks"
Quote from: "Deadman97"
MAGNETS.

what have magnets ever done for us?

Excuse me?

ziggy starbucks

that's just transparent right wing, pro-magnet propoganda