Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 18, 2024, 04:30:57 PM

Login with username, password and session length

The Best Star Trek Movie.

Started by Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth, January 27, 2007, 09:24:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Which is it?

1: The Motion Picture
0 (0%)
2: Wrath of Khan
13 (26%)
3: The Search for Spock
4 (8%)
4: The Voyage Home
7 (14%)
5: The Final Frontier
1 (2%)
6: The Undiscovered Country
3 (6%)
7: Generations
2 (4%)
8: First Contact
20 (40%)
9: Insurrection
0 (0%)
10: Nemesis
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 50

Voting closed: January 27, 2007, 09:24:50 PM

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

Inspired by having watched most of them on Channel 4 recently, here is a thread to answer that most trivial and geeky of questions, and to also muse about whether the odd-numbered ones are really all shit.

Personally I reckon First Contact is the best, because it's got Farmer Hoggett and the Borg in it, but perhaps you prefer Wrath of Khan (with Ricardo Montalban done up like Dave Lee Roth's grandad) or The Final Frontier (with David Warner) or The Undiscovered Country (also With David Warner, but as a different character).

Deadman97

Another vote for First Contact, because it's basically Die Hard on the Enterprise with the Borg and that.

Ciarán2

What's the one where God turns up?

Kirk: God.....what...are...you...doing here?

surreal

Quote from: "Ciarán"What's the one where God turns up?

Kirk: God.....what...are...you...doing here?

hehe, and "Why.... does... God.... need.... a Starship

Nope, has to be Undiscovered Country for me, the only Trek movie I can actually watch every time its shown.  never been a Trek fan really, just a casual viewer but there is something about that film that I like.

Pinball

I like Voyage Home. Amuses me every time, especially Bones in the hospital.

"God, these people are barbarians".

hehe

Shoulders?-Stomach!

There's something psychadelic about The First One. It's seally claustrophobic and a nice sense of actual space exploration and frontiership. And it's got a decent idea- I like the idea of including Voyager in a Star Trek story.

And it's psychadelic- did I not mention that?

I did like First Contact yesterday- Patrick Stewart wearing a white suit letting loose with a Tommy gun.

EFB

KHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAANNNNNNNNNNNNN!!!

Suppose it depends on what your definition of best is, because the Star Trek films generally can only be enjoyed if you're devoted to the characters. So the question becomes is the best one the one that a casual viewer will enjoy or the one that holds the most enjoyment for a fan?

First Contact or Nemesis if the former, Undiscovered Country if the latter.

Still don't understand the hatred towards Nemesis, frankly.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

Makes sense. Undiscovered Country is my second favourite and I'd say I'm somewhere in between being a casual viewer and a fan.

samadriel

Is Undiscovered Country the one with San Francisco?  I like that one.  But I thought it was 'Voyage Home', so I voted VH.

Joy Nktonga

It is VH so yer alright samadriel. I voted for First Contact because that one is obviously the best. I was quite taken with the original when it was on around Christmas. I've never really liked it on previous viewings. VH would get my vote for second place and Generations (yes, I know) would get my third place vote.

gazzyk1ns

Quote from: "DevlinC"Suppose it depends on what your definition of best is, because the Star Trek films generally can only be enjoyed if you're devoted to the characters.

First Contact or Nemesis if [^that^]

Heh, I was honestly going to post the exact opposite about First Contact, last night. In my experience people who "don't like Star Trek" tend to like First Contact. I sort of assumed it was something to do with Picard slowly losing it throughout the film, very un-TNG-like, and perhaps more like the irrational Kirk.

QuoteStill don't understand the hatred towards Nemesis, frankly.

Same here, aside from it being a bit of a remake of The Wrath Of Khan. I quite like Insurrection though, so that invalidates my Trek opinions in the eyes of most people.

Quote from: "gazzyk1ns"
Quote from: "DevlinC"Suppose it depends on what your definition of best is, because the Star Trek films generally can only be enjoyed if you're devoted to the characters.

First Contact or Nemesis if [^that^]

That's not actually what I said though, I said First Contact or Nemesis if "the former", referring to a casual fan's enjoyment.

gazzyk1ns

Yeah sorry, I didn't mean to misquote you, I picked the wrong sentence there didn't I. Same point though (from me).

4 arses

I'm suprised that Khan isn't way ahead, it's the movie that works best on it's own and features almost all the classic Kirkisms (with the exception of TSFS's "The Bastards killed my son"). Ricardo overacts in a way that only works well as a Star Trek bad guy, but it really works well in this. Let's not forget the numerous quotable phrases of which there are many from Shatner, Nimoy, McCoy and Montalban. It's a classic film in the same way that Raiders of the lost Ark is a classic film in that you can almost play the movie in your head from all the great moments.

I like First Contact but it almost felt too overdesigned, like they sat round the boardroom and said lets make a film like Aliens, but with the Borg. It works because there's a lot of other stuff going on, and in a way it works a lot more like Wrath of Khan than Nemesis because there is a genuine backstory that makes Picard going a bit crazy more plausible.

But TWOK is in my top ten movies full stop and is the only one that would come close. Don't even get me started on The Voyage Home.

EFB

Quote from: "4 arses"Don't even get me started on The Voyage Home.

You didnt like it?

4 arses

No, it's far too jokey and I think the worst plot mistake a film can make with any familiar characters is "Lets set it in contemporary times and make them comment on how strange things seem to them that are perfectly normal to us". It dates it far worse than any miniskirt or rubbish special effect ever could.

Alberon

I voted for Wrath of Khan. I can still remember watching that on the big screen when I was thirteen.

The first film is a quite good science fiction film, but not a very good Star Trek film.

I really like the Search for Spock myself. It's one of my favourites.

The Voyage Home was the most successful (I believe) of the series and is most popular with non-fans. I generally hate all time-travel-back-to-the-present-day stories, though it has its moments.

The Final Frontier has huge problems and it isn't always due to the Shat. I'd like to see the full version with all the effects sequences finished, but the money will never be made available for it.

The Undiscovered Country is another top notch film. Though having Valeris instead of Saavik was a mistake, even if they'd have to have put a third actress in the Saavik role. Who cares about Valeris?

Generations is okay. It's an odd film whose parts are better than its whole.

First Contact is stonking good fun.

Insurrection feels like a two part television episode and suffers for it.

Nemesis is crap. It's just an attempt to reheat the highlights of the previous movies (most notably Wrath of Khan). it didn't help that it was released just a few days before The Two Towers in cinemas so even Star Trek fans didn't bother going to see it more than once.