Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 12:02:20 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Scarf technique

Started by Milo, January 28, 2007, 11:36:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Milo

It has been rather cold of late and I have been sporadically attempting to wear a scarf. However, I cannot make the scarf look right on me or feel right. Other people seem to throw them on and they look totally natural and really warm. Does anyone have any tips on comfortable/normal-looking scarf-wearing?

Marvin

Take the two ends of the scarf and hold them together, so the scarf is in half almost, then hold the two ends in one hand and the loop in the other and pull round your neck, tuck the two ends through the loop and pull gently until comfy.

This works with most types of scarves.

Milo

Thanks for the reply. I have a scarf in hand but cannot quite work out how to follow your instructions.

Cack Hen

Apparently the shorter it dangles on your chest, the more feminine it is, but I say balls to that.

I put it around my neck so both sides are hanging over my shoulders at equal length, then tug the right side down so it's about half as long again, then take it across my chest and tuck it in the arm of my coat. Looks good, and doesn't choke you.

Milo

Ah, I think I have worked it out. I still think it looks a bit mad but I can't be too objective.

MojoJojo

Taking it off the hook first helps.

Neville Chamberlain

So why all of a sudden are scarves the "in" thing to be wearing??? I was a-wandering around London the other day and it was pretty mild, but every single bloke I encountered had one of them stripey scarves looped in around their necks in that way everyone seems to have these days. Bah!

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Milo

Quote from: "Jim"So why all of a sudden are scarves the "in" thing to be wearing???

There does seem to be quite a lot of them about - all these rubbishy Burtons ones all over the place. In my defence, I have been having to leave the house not long after seven in the morning and can't afford a warm coat so I need it for the warmness, not the in-ness.

Toad in the Hole

If you've got a man's scarf (one of the massive, almost single sheet-sized efforts, rather than the pissy fashion scarves which are about the size of a napkin), then winding it round your neck until every available inch of flesh is covered is usually the way forward.

The loop method is for girls and gays.

mothman

I have one of those arab-headdress things, as many a student did back in the 90's, but I never quite managed to figure out the way to roll and wera it as a scarf in the way that everyone else did that looked really cool. Or even, in fact, how it's properly worn on the head, like a Saudi prince would do, or even hos it's turned into a mask like your Palestinian rock-thrower or Iraqi head-chopper would.

extradave

Quote from: "Jim"So why all of a sudden are scarves the "in" thing to be wearing??? I was a-wandering around London the other day and it was pretty mild, but every single bloke I encountered had one of them stripey scarves looped in around their necks in that way everyone seems to have these days. Bah!

I always see these people, but when I get to work I forget to moan about it.

Thanks for that, I can mention it now.

Timmy O'Toole

Quote from: "mothman"I have one of those arab-headdress things, as many a student did back in the 90's.

They still do. Twats.

mothman

I know, but we did feel pretty hardcore wearing 'em during Gulf War One.

Joy Nktonga

You've just made me do a big "heeheehee" as a giggle of recognition. We thought we were so daring and controversy courting.

mothman

Yes, simmering with indignation that the bastard BBC made Massive Attack change their name. . .

Your basic options are the Cambridge Toss or the Oxford Knot. The Oxford knot is basically the 'noose' method described extensively above, and is currently pretty much ubiquitous (and thus not remotely fashionable). Much less ubiquitous, less feminine, and in my opinion also much warmer, is the Cambridge Toss (named after the tossers at Cambridge who didn't let me into their stupid university which is rubbish anyway). The Toss essentially involves placing the middle of the scarf at the back of your neck, and casually flinging (or 'tossing') one of the dangling scarf ends around your head as many times as the scarf's length will reasonably allow.

I love scarves. It's not entirely a fashion thing (NB: ones of just one colour are best); it's a warmth thing. I'm just one of those rare people who hate having a sore throat, and I do have a bit of a chilly walk from my car to my office in the morning. In summary: scarves are ideal if it's cold, and you've got a neck.

Just don't wear them indoors, you fucking trendy idiot. Bet you wear your stupid big brown Ray-Bans inside too, don't you? I hate you. Go away.

This time next week: Gloves Are Your Friends.

Quote from: "Shoulders?-Stomach!"Scarf? You poof!

I know I'm bending this sub-forum's rules a bit, but what about Doctor Who?  Would you call him that?

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Artemis

My scarf is too short for the 'halve it, loop it, through and pull' technique!! I end up looking like a right fanny. I just have it draped around my neck now, it's the only way.

biniput

Fold the scarf in two then loop the middle THEN put in the fire realising you don't need it.

Lt Plonker

How do you wear those man silk scarves form the 70's? I bought one a while ago, but I'm at loss on how to tie/wear it.

Al Tha Funkee Homosapien

Are you sure you didn't buy a pair of woman's stockings by mistake?

Brutus Beefcake

Most of the people I see with scarfs are Nathan Barleyesque posers.  Fair enough if it's winter but there's no excuse for wearing them in a fucking nightclub.

CookACat

Quote from: "Brutus Beefcake"Fair enough if it's winter but there's no excuse for wearing them in a fucking nightclub.

Yes. Or wandering down the street wearing a t-shirt and a scarf. Cunts. Riles me every time I see it.

Lt Plonker

Quote from: "Al Tha Funkee Homosapien"Are you sure you didn't buy a pair of woman's stockings by mistake?

I'm not that much of a pervert.

Someone must know. I'm this close to looking almost dapper. *does pinchy thing with fingers*

mook

Quote from: "Lt Plonker"How do you wear those man silk scarves form the 70's? I bought one a while ago, but I'm at loss on how to tie/wear it.

I used to wear one when I rode a motorbike, they're toasty warm surprisingly, I used to tie it with just a loose overhand knot, it seemed to work OK, and I used to look wonderfully rakish ;)

Toad in the Hole

Quote from: "Artemis"My scarf is too short for the 'halve it, loop it, through and pull' technique!! I end up looking like a right fanny. I just have it draped around my neck now, it's the only way.

I don't think you've actually bought a scarf... bearing in mind how FUCKING COLD it is today, I recommend shelling out in BHS or Primark on a good big new one!  A proper man-sized scarf, not one that, as CookACat pointed out, you'd wear with a t-shirt.

Lady Beaner

No, no, no.... NO draping boys! The halve and loop look is best for you macho, macho men. It makes boys look like THE SEX. Do it, do it now!

Shoulders?-Stomach!

How can a scarf make a man look like the sex? It conveys a sense of sickly Edward VI  style physical weakness. This is a man:

You wouldn't see him with a scarf.