Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 10:50:09 AM

Login with username, password and session length

How much sleep do you get?

Started by Santa's Boyfriend, January 30, 2007, 12:37:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Santa's Boyfriend

I seem to need about 9, but get around 8.  Used to get only 7, and found it impossible to function properly.  Apparently 100 years ago people got more sleep than they do now.  That might be to do with the lack of telly though.

Mister Cairo

I usually go to bed around 1am-2am, toss for an hour or two and wake up between 9am and 1pm. Problem is some days I don't have to get up at any specfic time so I get used to staying up late, which causes problems on the days when I have to get up at 9am.

Labian Quest

Quote from: "Mister Cairo"I usually go to bed around 1am-2am, toss for an hour or two

People! No! don't go there!

Musicoutoftrousers

My sleeping patterns are terrible, and really inconsistent as well. Last night  (figuratively speaking) I went to bed at 4am, couldn't get to sleep. Got up, arsed about doing not much for a few hours, went back to bed at 7. Still couldn't sleep until about Midday, whereupon I slept until 5:30pm.

On days where I have to get up in the morning, it's usually about 9:30 and I like to get at least seven hours those nights.

The days where you don't have to do anything specific are killers. My bed is just too bleeding comfortable. I don't think I've been outside in daylight hours since Thursday.

Ideally, I'd like to go to bed at 12-2 and get up at 10-11, but it hardly ever works out.

Yes, I am a student.

mothman

I usually get about 5 hours, it seems to do me.

Go With The Flow

7-8 hours (in bed, probably less time actually asleep) on a weekday, and on a weekend where I have no work it can be upto 12-13 hours. I generally seem OK with that, apart from feeling crap in the morning before a shower/breakfast  (but not at the same time).

Beagle 2

6 hours, 12-6, sometimes a bit more if I crash out before midnight. It doesn't seem quite enough, but if ever I get an early night, about nine or ten, I feel really sluggish the next day.

If I could find a way to stop the head bobs at about two in the afternoon I'd be a happy man.

Neville Chamberlain

I get about 8 hours sleep, sometimes a bit more, sometimes a bit less. I can tell you, if I haven't slept enough - or even if I've slept for too long!!! - I sure do feel mighty tired the day after. Does anyone else get that, when you haven't slept enough, you feel tired?

Go With The Flow

Quote from: "Jim"Does anyone else get that, when you haven't slept enough, you feel tired?

Yes, I don't think that's a unique trait, Jim.

Still Not George

Depends. I need about 8-9, before Bethan I was generally getting around 7 a night (late nights being instinctive for me), and now... now I consider myself immensely lucky to get 4.

SweetRosalyn

10-14 hours, generally.  Less than 10 and I really start to feel it.  14 hours often leaves me feeling a bit crap, too, though.  

Well, I guess that's 10-14 hours in bed, rather than 10-14 hours asleep.  It takes me a while to get to sleep at night, probably an hour or two, I guess, and sometimes I wake up in the night and take a while to fall back asleep.  

At the moment I go to bed 12pm, 1am ish, and wake up briefly about 7.30 when my boyfriend leaves for work, then briefly at 9am when my optimistically set alarm goes off, then eventually  again at 11am/12pm ish and doze until about 1, when I finally haul ass out of bed.  

I need to start getting up earlier, I hate missing half the day, and not getting enough sunlight, it makes me depressed.  Unfortunately being depressed makes me not want to do anything but sleep, and gives me very little incentive to get up in the mornings, so it tends to just get worse.  

No, I'm not a student (any more), but I only have a part-time job, and that's pub work, so doesn't start until the late afternoon at the earliest.  I'm job hunting, but this is Aberystwyth, so it's easier said than done.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Quote from: "Santa's Boyfriend"I seem to need about 9, but get around 8.  Used to get only 7, and found it impossible to function properly.  Apparently 100 years ago people got more sleep than they do now.  That might be to do with the lack of telly though.

And the hard labour.

I get to sleep at 2ish, wake up between 10-11. This years Uni timetable is Great.

Gamma Ray

Quote from: "Beagle 2"If I could find a way to stop the head bobs at about two in the afternoon I'd be a happy man.
Well, at about one in the afternoon arise from your place of work, strip, quote Churchill -

QuoteYou must sleep sometime between lunch and dinner, and no halfway measures. Take off your clothes and get into bed. That's what I always do. Don't think you will be doing less work because you sleep during the day. That's a foolish notion held by people who have no imaginations. You will be able to accomplish more. You get two days in one -- well, at least one and a half.
... and promptly collapse.

I've researched this subject a little and it would appear that as a species we're used to sleeping twice a day (biphasic is the term if you're so inclined). Forward thinking companies have even introduced so-called 'napnasiums' where tired workers can take forty winks, apparently rising refreshed and ready for the afternoon's challenges. I did actually cobble together some links for you but the site broke so you can have this one instead - it looks pretty erudite to me.

Bring on the summer, then I can go outside and sleep on the grass in the sun. Churchill is right you know, most people really do lack imagination or indeed any degree of sense.

niat

I go to bed around 12:30 - 1:00, and get up at about 7:30. I just can't sleep if I go to bed any earlier. My wife usually goes to bed between 10 and 11, and those last 2 hours are nice to have a bit of time to myself, wind down and watch some DVDs or TV that I want to.

I used to catch up with my sleep at the weekend, but since the arrival of my daughter 2 years ago, and my son 9 months ago, any chances to catch up have been lost. Maybe in a few years I'll just sleep for a few months and catch it all up in one go.

Alberon

I usually get roughly seven hours a night, but I sleep longer at the weekends. When I don't, like last weekend, I go through the next week permenantly tired. Really should try going to bed an hour earlier or something for a day or so.

Neville Chamberlain

I usually get my head down around midnight.

Little Hoover

I tend to go to bed between 12:30 and 2:30, and it usually takes me over an hour to get to sleep, I've no job at the moment, so I get up around 10:00, I'd like to stay in longer, but I don't want to get into a bad habbit of sleeping in too long, since it'll become really hard to reverse when I get one.
Also my Dad, will probably have a go at me, if he thinks I'm not doing enough to find work, and he usually works from home, so he knows.

asv

Quote from: "Jim"I usually get my head down around midnight.

Snigger, snigger.

Actually, looking at your location you may have not had much action in that respect recently??

Just a (poor) joke, nowt personal

Beagle 2

Quote from: "Gamma Ray"

I've researched this subject a little and it would appear that as a species we're used to sleeping twice a day.

I would love to kip in the afternoon, it really freshens you up and feels completely natural. Unfortunately the opportunities are limited where I work, summer or no. I do slip off for a snooze in the sick room every now and then, but am invariably interrupted by a Muslim wanting a pray or an actual sick person.

They don't seem to realise that health, spiritual or otherwise come second to me and my kip.

Cunts.

AMG

I've been a pretty straight up 8 hours-a-night guy since I got re-employed... before then it was probably closer to 10 when I would actually remember having dreams, as opposed to now where I just go into a coma.

Always been interested by the idea of polyphasic sleep though. Pretty amazing to think that kipping is something we all do for about a third of our lives, and no-one seems to have a clue how it works.

Ronnie the Raincoat

Three, four hour per night.  Except on weekends, when it's more like eight or nine.

Joy Nktonga

I used to be like Ronnie there with my next-to-no sleep. I've trained myself to get around five now. Roughly 1am to 6am. I've never felt like I've suffered from so little sleep, but I do like to catch up on my sleep at weekends when I manage around seven hours a night. Even smoking a jazz cigarette in the evening can't get me to sleep any earlier. Just like our saviour Jon Bonjella sang, I'll sleep when I'm dead.

The Duck Man

Left to my own devices it's normally about nine. Generally, I don't know. Depends when I have to be up/when I go to bed.

buttgammon

Quote from: "AMG"
Always been interested by the idea of polyphasic sleep though. Pretty amazing to think that kipping is something we all do for about a third of our lives, and no-one seems to have a clue how it works.

Sleep is a fascinating thing. Seinfeld did an episode where Kramer was trying out polyphasc sleep and if it was accurate, I would advise everyone to avoid it at all costs! Anything he does could put you at risk. I can't imagine how painful it would be to have a fork shoved up your arse.

As for myself, it varies wildly. I normally go to sleep around 3am and most days I wake up at around 10am, but sometimes I end up waking up as early as 7am and not being able to doze off again or I can sleep until as late as noon.

Carlos Tevez

Go to bed about now, get up at 12 to watch the football.

SOTS

On weeknights I only get around 5-6 hours of sleep because I really cannot get to sleep unless I feel quite tired. If I try to go to bed before midnight I fail miserably, simply because i'm lying there trying to force myself.

At weekends I tend to catch up on sleep, and get about 8 or 9 hours because I don't have to get up for school in the morning.

I probably wouldn't hate school half as much if it didn't make me get up at a time where i'm so hazy-headed and tired that I can hardly bring myself to do work anyway. I only really start working properly after 11am.

Neil

Quote from: "Musicoutoftrousers"stuff

How have you turned on topic notification on this thread?  I made a point of removing the options to do that, because when people with hotmail (like yourself) use it, I get useless bounced emails every single time a thread is bumped.

Click this: http://www.cookdandbombd.co.uk/forums/index.php?topic=13369&unwatch=topic

Musicoutoftrousers

Quote from: "Neil"
Quote from: "Musicoutoftrousers"stuff

How have you turned on topic notification on this thread?  I made a point of removing the options to do that, because when people with hotmail (like yourself) use it, I get useless bounced emails every single time a thread is bumped.

Click this: http://www.cookdandbombd.co.uk/forums/index.php?topic=13369&unwatch=topic

Uh...dunno. Didn't mean to. Anyway, I clicked that, hope it helps.

Gamma Ray

New research apparently shows that taking a siesta is good for your heart.

QuoteTaking 40 winks in the middle of the day may reduce the risk of death from heart disease, particularly in young healthy men, say researchers.
Yet more excuses for sleeping on the job - 'I have a weak heart' ...

Seriously though my case for having a hammock at work is going from strength to strength.

mook

Yay, I always have a little kip in the afternoon (as well as racking up the 10 hours at night I've been getting just lately, lazy little twunt I know) no more than half an hour mind, does me the power of good. I doubt if the benefits will out weigh all the smokes and drink I fill myself up with during my admittedly few waking hours mind, but there you go.