Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 07:25:04 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Zone Horror

Started by Famous Mortimer, February 01, 2007, 08:40:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Famous Mortimer

For lovers of bad cinema, for people who want something to watch that's quite good fun at 2 in the morning, and for those unfortunates who can only watch films where people get limbs torn off, Zone Horror is an absolute gem (channel 321). Any other fans?

Last night was "Forest of the Damned", about the meeting between a group of student-types in a van and some angels who'd started having sex and stuff and had been thrown out of heaven as a result. It starred a bunch of slightly attractive drama school students who were the least friendly group of friends I've seen in ages, and had a script which appeared to be an American one but which had just been made in the UK with a British cast (cultural references not even changed in the script, wildernesses which it takes you all night to drive to, desolate "gas stations", the whole thing). Things happen for no reason, there was about £50 spent on the set (it's virtually all filmed in some woods) and horror legend Tom Savini pops up near the end for a cameo of sorts.

But it was a good laugh, at least at the rubbishness of it all. I highly recommend an evening with the channel if you're at a loose end, and don't mind bad, cheap, stupid films.

Quote from: "Famous Mortimer"a script which appeared to be an American one but which had just been made in the UK with a British cast (cultural references not even changed in the script, wildernesses which it takes you all night to drive to, desolate "gas stations", the whole thing)
That sounds really fucking awful.

QuoteBut it was a good laugh, at least at the rubbishness of it all.
Talking of which... Shark Attack 3: Megalodon, anyone?

SetToStun

This might be just the thread in which to ask if anyone can help me with the name of a film that I really want to get on DVD. Basically, the storyline is that insects of an unspecified nature have mutated in the New York subway and started ripping people in half. It's the most glorious piece of tosh I've ever seen and was clearly filmed in one mocked-up tunnel with one mocked-up platform. It's fairly recent by the look of it (1990+) and I don't remember any famous people being in it, but if anyone recognizes the description and can give me the name, I'd be forever grateful. Ta.

Quote from: "Rubbish Monkey"its not Mimic is it?
Surely that's way over-budget given what SetToStun has specified?

I actually saw Mimic at the cinema. Hard to believe it was ten years ago, but then that had to happen sooner or later.

Is Mimic the one where the black guy goes into the toilet and the creature attacks him by ripping his head off? EDIT - sorry folks, that's The Relic, released the same year.

Ben Ordinary

Watch out for a film called Vampires Vs Zombies cropping up on Zone Horror. Not even enjoyable as a piece of late night shlock. Just muddled, confusing shit. And the obligatory nudity isnt even vaguely relevant to anything going on. Two girls are driving down a road in the middle of the day, pull over and start doffing off. But then its a dream. Or the girl's mental. Or something.

Truly, with a title as promising as Vampires Vs Zombies, I've never felt as cheated.

SetToStun

Fucking get in! I do believe that's the one - well done that monkey! Thanks for that you star - it's been ordered :-)

Famous Mortimer

I'd just done a thread at this site devoted to bad movies too.

Another film to look out for is "Head Cheerleader, Dead Cheerleader", set virtually exclusively in one cheerleader's front room. Cheep and cheerful. And rubbish. I've yet to see "Vampires v. Zombies" but it looks like a winner...

...there's also a film called something completely bland like "Demon Hunter" starring one of the two brothers from "The Boondock Saints" as a half-human, half-demon who's out there killing baddie demons. It's got a nun who walks round in tight, low-cut tops; horror stalwart Billy Drago; and a plot nicked off about seven other films. I love it.

SetToStun

Quote from: "Seymour Clufley"
Surely that's way over-budget given what SetToStun has specified?

I actually saw Mimic at the cinema. Hard to believe it was ten years ago, but then that had to happen sooner or later.

Is Mimic the one where the black guy goes into the toilet and the creature attacks him by ripping his head off? EDIT - sorry folks, that's The Relic, released the same year.

Ah. You may have a point. Still, it's ordered now so I'll soon know :-)

As for The Relic - that's an absolute classic in its own right. I might just go mad and order that one too :-)

I enjoy Zone Horror, although, and this may be due to a problem with my TV or something, I find there is often a discrepancy between the advertised showing time of a film and when it actually starts (once causing me to miss the first 10 minutes of Leprechaun 4 - In Space!)

I'm not really one of those for the 'so bad it's good' type of thing, to be honest. I have pretended to like certain horror films for this reason in order to try and look clever but nowadays I just can't be bothered. I don't doubt that people genuinely do enjoy it, especially watching in groups and ripping the piss etc..., but I've attempted to watch things like Pirahna and other cheaply produced genre films like that and they just put me to sleep. Give me a horror film that's supposed to be funny any day of the week.

I was pleased to be able to see all the Leprechaun films (apart from Leprechaun - Back 2 Da Hood which they haven't shown, perhaps for the best) but was severely dissapointed in them. I think they should have emphasised the comedy aspect of the idea rather than the horror aspect. I think the balance is achieved best in Leprechaun 2 but even so it's still a pretty poor film in my opinion.

They've shown a few Brian Yuzna films that I was glad to see, although I found The Dentist and its sequel to be somewhat disappointing. I don't think they've shown Society yet (which is my favourite Brian Yuzna film) although I could be wrong.

Another series of films I was pleased to get the oppurtunity to see was the Troma films as I wouldn't have gone out and bought/rented any of them but was interested in what they were like.

I like Zone Horror as it provides the oppurtunity to see films you probably wouldn't go out of your way to obtain but that you're curious to see (I mean, you don't go out and buy Leprechaun 4 - In Space for instance, do you?) They also showed Funnyman which I was curious to see but again was disappointed by.

However, they regularly show some of my favourite horror films too, and it's nice to chance upon them not realising that you felt like watching them again.

Quote from: "Janek's Little Black Box"

I was pleased to be able to see all the Leprechaun films (apart from Leprechaun - Back 2 Da Hood which they haven't shown, perhaps for the best) but was severely dissapointed in them.

That was on a couple of nights ago. Might even have been last night actually. You didn't miss much.
Another channel that does the cheapy straight to video type films is Movies 24, which is fairly new I think. They showed 'The John Lennon Story' a while back.

Quote from: "solidified gruel merchant"That was on a couple of nights ago. Might even have been last night actually. You didn't miss much.

Are you sure it wasn't Leprechaun 5 - In The Hood? With Ice-T? They've shown that before. I hope it was - I'll be annoyed if I missed number 6 and you can shove buying it up your arse!

Quote from: "Janek's Little Black Box"
Quote from: "solidified gruel merchant"That was on a couple of nights ago. Might even have been last night actually. You didn't miss much.

Are you sure it wasn't Leprechaun 5 - In The Hood? With Ice-T? They've shown that before. I hope it was - I'll be annoyed if I missed number 6 and you can shove buying it up your arse!

Ah, it probably was actually. I didn't know there were two 'in da hoods'.