Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 02:04:06 AM

Login with username, password and session length

YouTube Jazz Thread

Started by Neil, February 01, 2007, 12:54:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Neil

Hey, post your favourite jazz vids.  Here's some of mine to kick off:

Stunning 1966 performance of the C Jam Blues:

Mood Indigo:

So What:

Record Making With Duke Ellington:

Neil

'Round Midnight, essential night-time listening along with In A Silent Way  and Goodbye Pork Pie Hat, although I prefer a version with just Monk on piano:

Goodbye Pork Pie Hat:

Strayhorn's Take The "A" Train, one of the finest pieces of music ever written:

Alice Coltrane Love Sumpreme (rip):

Spanish Key!!  Really intense version:

Neil

Coleman Hawkins and Charlie Parker:

Bird and Diz:

Raymond Scott - War Dance For Wooden Indians (and here's his Electronium):

GetTheeBehindMeStan

Jazz clips ... nice! (Well, someone had to say it)

Only had time to look at the Raymond Scott one - wonderful (I'd forgotten he did anything apart from the electronic stuff). Looking forward to the others.

EDIT: And it's a bleedin' shame that the Alice Coltrane fan couldn't afford a better ticket.

Sam

Nice thread! Didn't know you were a jazz fan, Neil. There are not enough jazz threads on this forum.

buttgammon

Spanish Key is one of my favourite songs, so I loved that!

Ciarán2

Pat Metheny "Are You Going With Me"

Michael Franks "Eggplant/ Tiger In The Rain"

Sun Ra "The Cry Of Jazz"

Dusty Gozongas

Oh baby! I'd never even thought to check for jazz on youtube until now.

Long live this thread.

Miles Davis 1969 - Bitches Brew

And this will never be cliched by C4's (as I recall) overuse of it:
Miles Davis & John Coltrane- SO WHAT

Neil

Quote from: "arqarqa"Miles Davis 1969 - Bitches Brew

Oh man!  

I was searching for On The Corner and found a few interesting things:
Inamorata:
QuoteFrom the poorly documented 1971 European Tour. This tour was unique in that it was pretty much the middle ground between the Bitches Brew/Jack Johnson period and the "On the Corner" period. Features a nice solo intro by Keith Jarrett which was always a feature of this tune

Black Satin cover by Fred Hamm's Electro Groove Band:

I've a really bad Miles clip in my playlists somewhere, with Herbie Hancock dicking around with really cheesy synth lines, I'll have a look for that in a bit.

Quote from: "GetTheeBehindMeStan"And it's a bleedin' shame that the Alice Coltrane fan couldn't afford a better ticket.

Yeah...the sounds pretty good though, and it's a 2006 show.  You get a real feel for how fab it must have been.

Quote from: "buttgammon"Spanish Key is one of my favourite songs//.

Yeah me too, astonishing stuff.

Dusty Gozongas

Quote from: "Neil"

Sweet!

Lots of stuff going on in Miles' world at that time :-)

I'll be back later, quite drunk, hoping this thread is on page three by then.

Carry on...

Neil

This is amazing:
Thelonious Monk: Blue Monk (Oslo, April 1966)

A clip from the Video "Monk in Oslo".
(Recorded by the Norwegian Broadcasting Corporation on April 15, 1966)

Monk in Oslo captures the matchless group feeling of the Quartet. Shot in a clean Northern light that offers a revealing and unfussy look at the players, Monk's famous mannerisms never distract the cameras from the music. Close-ups during Rouse's solos show his quick reactions to Monk's provocative accompaniments. Riley's beautiful stick and brush work (on a minimalist drum set without tom-toms) and Gales' fluid lines are given their appropriate due.

Thelonious Monk - piano. Charlie Rouse - tenor. Larry Gales - bass. Ben Riley - drums.

Thelonious Monk - Epistrophy:

Sonny Rollins - Weaver Of Dreams

None of Dud's jazz trio on YouTube?  I got one of their records off eBay a few years back, and it's smashing.

quadraspazzed

Billie Holiday - Strange Fruit

Herbie Hancock - Rockit

Herbie Hancock having some fun with his new synth

Dusty Gozongas

Rahsaan Roland Kirk eh? What a showoff! :-)

GetTheeBehindMeStan

QuoteRahsaan Roland Kirk eh? What a showoff! :-)

Wow. Thanks for finding that one. Read about him many times, but never got around to hearing anything, or indeed seeing any footage of him in action. And I seem to remember he carried on playing more than one instrument at a time even after he'd had a stroke. Yup, just checked on Wiki, he did.

Two questions:

1) Is that really a stylophone?

2) Is that Bill Wyman in the audience, at around the 3:10 to go mark?

Dusty Gozongas

Quote from: "GetTheeBehindMeStan"Wow. Thanks for finding that one.

This thread prompted a fair bit of jazzwise conversation amongst friends the other night and I got home hoping to find more by the geezer. Not much there (i.e. two videos) but that one was worth the search.

Quote from: "GetTheeBehindMeStan"Two questions:

1) Is that really a stylophone?

2) Is that Bill Wyman in the audience, at around the 3:10 to go mark?

1) Yes. And you wouldn't like to know how much learned about stylophones last night. Google has a lot of timewasting to answer for. The bastard.

2) Certainly looks like him.

Lfbarfe

Tubby Hayes with his big band in 1965 there with some heavyweight British jazz. Tubbs' session with James Moody and Rahsaan Roland Kirk's pretty fab too.

Lfbarfe

Short but sweet, here's just about the best big band ever assembled with one of the best singers ever to draw breath. I find it impossible to hear or see this clip without smiling broadly. And the trombone scoring is to die for, frankly.

And talking of scoring to die for, cop a load of the saxophone section playing soli on this one. That's Johnny Griffin, Ronnie Scott, Tony Coe, Derek Humble and Sahib Shihab. If you can find a better line-up, I'd love to see it.

Sam

Tommy Emmanuel playing "Over the Rainbow"

Couple from the North Sea Jazz Festival - I was present at all the following clips, really an incredible event for jazz fans (and yes, these are all from the stadium stage, unfortunately no video exists online of the smaller, more trad-jazz areas).

Tower Of Power (Selection)

Erykah Badu - "I Want You" (some great memories attached to this one for me)

Neil

God...was just looking for Roy Eldridge clips and found this utterly amazing Billie Holiday performance...wow:

Billie Holiday - Fine And Mellow:

Dusty Gozongas

Anybody else getting constant 100% CPU usage in Firefox on this page? Page fully loaded.. no links clicked...other youtube thread pages working fine when trying to recreate a similar thingummy...  hmmmm...

Oh! Well I mean the previous page, now it comes to it.

Dusty Gozongas

Nice Billie Holiday link btw Neil :-) Had to open it in a new instance of the browser though.

I reckon I'm on the list of Firefox users with unrepeatable examples of strange CPU usage annoyances. For the record, since I post occasionally to mozillazine, does anybody notice anything at all on the previous page that is different to usual? I know the answer will be 'no' and obviously I can't provide them with a link.

Fuck! Annoying! Random!

Sorry. Techy thread is that way.. I know... aaaggghhhh!

Neil

Buddy Rich Big Band, this is ace:

Time Check:

Does anyone know any good stories about Buddy Rich being a prick, by the way?  I saw a clip on there a while back where he's just oozing arrogance and prickishness.

Neil

Another couple of good 'uns I just found:

Buddy Rich and Jerry Lewis:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X_giGBLeEiA

Buddy Rich and Gene Krupa!

And hell, why not, a younger Gene Krupa with Roy Eldridge and Anita O'Day, I've watched this a bazillion times:

NoSleep

Quote from: "Neil"
Quote from: "arqarqa"Miles Davis 1969 - Bitches Brew
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U2NLzkU5bZk
Oh man!  

I was searching for On The Corner and found a few interesting things:
Inamorata:
QuoteFrom the poorly documented 1971 European Tour. This tour was unique in that it was pretty much the middle ground between the Bitches Brew/Jack Johnson period and the "On the Corner" period. Features a nice solo intro by Keith Jarrett which was always a feature of this tune
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g1VCor3t8T4....

Both of these concerts have appeared in full on Dime, and the '69 one is currently being reseeded.

Neil

Wow, thanks Nige!  I must keep up with that place now I've got a big hard drive.  Diving on that now, excellent.

Dusty Gozongas

Gong - Oily Way

Jazz? I think so. Youtube is sadly lacking in better examples of how much of a jazz band they were.

spraticus

Hans Groiner - one man's mission to right Thelonius Monk's wrongs:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=51bsCRv6kI0

it's apparently a spoof by hammond player Larry Goldings

Neil

Oh wow, I never put Jelly Roll Morton into YouTube before as I figured there'd be maybe three fan recordings, and dick all else.  But there's loads to work through, including this very enjoyable scene from The Legend Of 1900 - which is a great movie, actually.

This is really wonderful, these guys are playing along with one of Jelly's piano rolls in 1974:

Before I stuck Jelly in I thought, well, I'll try Butch Thompson and see if there are any recordings of him playing Jelly tunes...found this highly enjoyable "West Coast Ragtime Festival":

Part 2 is linked in the sidebar.  It's just a damn shame they only show excerpts and not the full songs.  "Ragtime Festival" brings up some other interesting-looking stuff to work through.

One more clip, Gene Krupa is really ridiculous in this:
QuoteIn 1942 the film 'Syncopation' featured a scene of bandleaders playing together - Gene Krupa,Benny Goodman,Harry James,Jack Jenny,Joe Venuti,Charlie Barnet,Bob Haggart and Alvino Rey

Neil

Shreveport Stomps on the banjo, I've got to check out more of this guys stuff, I love banjo.  The comps sam and janet evening sent me have kept me going for months:

Quote"Frog-I-More Rag" by Jelly Roll Morton, played by Bryan Wright at the 2004 World Championship Old-Time Piano Playing Contest (Peoria, IL)

Really nice performace of Black Bottom Stomp