Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 26, 2024, 08:27:08 AM

Login with username, password and session length

The Jazz Thread

Started by Sam, February 02, 2007, 08:39:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Don_Preston

His 'Alive' and more recent archive release 'Live at Club Mozambique' are both worth checking out.

On my jazz voyage, I am now listening to a lot of Lee Morgan; he may be my favourite so far...

Don_Preston

The Sidewinder is perhaps his most well-known release. I almost bought another of his for £2 in Fopp the other day, but decided to put it back at the last minute.

A lot of the Hard Bop musicians that were signed to Blue Note did the rounds on each other's records, I'm pretty sure he's on The Incredible Jimmy Smith's The Sermon, and that's just off the top of my head.

You're right about most of the core Blue Note crowd playing on each other's releases.  Eg: Booby Hutcherson is all over Morgan's 'Procrastinator' album, yet there are just as many horns as there are vibes on the Hutcherson stuff I've heard.  What were the rules when it was decided whose release certain albums would be, given that some feature the same core bunch of musicians?

NoSleep

Not sure about the rules that determine leadership/titling on Blue Note, but albums do get reissued with a different artist's name brought forward as the band leader.

One that come to mind was Turkish Women At The Bath*, originally credited as Pete La Roca, that was later reissued as a Chick Corea album called Bliss.

I believe Water Babies has been released both as a Wayne Shorter album and a Miles Davis album.

*edit: Turkish Women At The Bath (1968) is well worth tracking down, featuring John Gilmore on tenor sax on one of his rare engagements outside of duties within Sun Ra's Arkestra. That's right; John Gilmore & Chick Corea on the same album.

Spotify has the album listed under Chick Corea 'Love Planet'; although, I can't find any other mention of it, not even in Chick's discography on his official site.  Amazon and other places have it correctly listed as 'Turkish Women at the Bath' by Pete La Roca.

Don_Preston

Chick Corea has the distinction of not only being one of the pioneering forces in 20th Century Jazz, but also for having some of the worst album covers of all time!

Sometimes a bandleader will have to release under a sideman's name for music union bureaucratic reasons or if they're in trouble with the authorities over drugs or something. I'm sure that happened to Miles in the early 50s and to art pepper a few times. Otherwise i guess it's whoever put the session together..

Anyway, here's what i've been listening to recently. You might like..

Kenny Wheeler/Keith Jarrett/Dave Holland/Jack DeJohnette - Gnu High
http://open.spotify.com/album/0o3eGgqeG4AqqsvwcCSd47
Apperently Jarrett really hated this session and threw a big baby tantrum because he wasn't familiar enough with Kenny's music to feel comfortable recording. But everyone is absolutely incredible.

Stan Getz/Lou Levy/Leroy Vinnegar/Shelly Manne - The Steamer
http://open.spotify.com/album/4wgpwQESCNF1TpM8dqTqL6
Stan sounds much better on this than the bossa nova cheese he's famous for. Also check out his final album - "people time"

Brad Mehldau/Larry Grenadier/Jeff Ballard - Trio Live
http://open.spotify.com/album/7to9ouDssSDIBS7WIbL3A3
The definitive contemporary piano trio of the moment. They manage to cover radiohead and oasis and still sound good. This requires special talent.

Count Basie Orchestra
http://open.spotify.com/album/4a8ERY3KOxN27Zgv1jviaK
My favourite recording of their's. Live recordings from two concerts in (i think) 1960. Check track 8 and 15. Do it!

Charlie Haden/Hank Jones - Steal Away
http://open.spotify.com/album/3wEGoOVY0xV11lKstQau2z
Spirituals. Spiritual.

After several years in the wilderness, Chick Corea's managed to do an album I'm not instantly turned off by, and thankfully he's managed to pull John McLaughlin out of his increasingly bland downward spiral of a career too!

Chick Corea & John McLaughlin's Five Peace Band. Go give it a listen.

Retinend

Favourite Keith Jarrett?

His stuff just blows me away. 'My Song' is wonderful, and easily his best album I've heard. 'The Journey Home' is just a sublime, wonderfully optimistic song, and 'Country' is also a real heartwarmer. 'Belonging' is also a masterpiece, and has a bit more edge - the short opening track, 'Spiral Dance' has a fabulous momentum and near-aggressive energy, 'Long As You Know You're Living Yours' (the inspiration for Steely Dan's title track from 'Gaucho') has a similarly wild breakdown in the middle, with a bit of an eastern influence. 'Shades' and 'Backhand' are also great.

Don_Preston

Fort Yawuh is the only one of his I own. An early 70s live album that also has Charlie Haden on bass. He's not someone I'd often choose to listen to though, but that album comes recommended.

I've still not got round to buying Miles Davis' Cellar Door boxset (also featuring Jarrett) but I'm still waiting it for come down in price like some of his other boxes have done.

Keith Jarrett -

Best solo piano: Staircase, followed by Dark Intervals

Best Standards Trio: Standards Vol. 2

Best European Quartet: My Song

Talulah, really!

Wot? No Köln Concert ?

Anybody who likes Keith Jarrett could do worse than check out Brad Mehldua who has followed in a similar path of recording extended solo improvisations with working in a trio and other collaborations. He incorporates modern pop/rock songs into his repertoire as well as traditional jazz standards. There is a 23 minute version of "Black Hole Sun" on his Brad Mehldua Trio live album for instance. Also Nick Drake, Radiohead, Sufjan Stevens and Elvis Costello tunes.

NoSleep

Quote from: Don_Preston on September 02, 2009, 08:08:37 PM
Fort Yawuh is the only one of his I own. An early 70s live album that also has Charlie Haden on bass. He's not someone I'd often choose to listen to though, but that album comes recommended.

I've still not got round to buying Miles Davis' Cellar Door boxset (also featuring Jarrett) but I'm still waiting it for come down in price like some of his other boxes have done.

If you want a summary of "Cellar Door", then Live/Evil stands as a "best of Cellar Door": Teo Macero's selection, editing and mixing of the original recordings are superb. It's a pity that Columbia pissed Macero off so much that he didn't work on the Cellar Door release at all.

Live/Evil contains some of my favourite Jarrett, who said Miles would listen to him intently whenever he took a solo. There is a superb DVD boot of Jarrett performing in Miles' band, live at Berliner Jazztage 1971, that often turns up at Dimeadozen (it's there at the moment, as two separate DVDs per "set").

Talking of DVD boots, there is another great one of Keith Jarrett in a trio with Charlie Haden and Paul Motian that turns up at Dimeadozen, live in Hamburg. This also turns up as an audio-only boot. There are other audio boots of this great band, live in Munich and Paris.

The same line-up recorded one of my favourite albums of all time: The Mourning Of A Star.
Also look out for Keith Jarrett's solo album: Concerts (Bregenz)

NoSleep

Almost forgot:

Another Jarrett favourite of mine, albeit not a jazz album (how much of his output is jazz? He's a great musician that improvises, but so is Ravi Shankar), nor an album of improvisations, is Gurdjieff: Sacred Hymns, on which he plays the music of G.I.Gurdjieff. The nearest thing I can think to compare it to are the piano pieces on John Cale's The Academy In Peril.

sirhenry

Since getting this headache 3 days ago I've been listening to gentle cool jazz, and discovered that I've never heard any Bill Evans.

Can anyone give me some tips as to where to start?

Yes, I know there's a Where To Start thread, but this seemed more likely to get replies.

Don_Preston

I believe the live album Sunday at the Village Vanguard is the best place to start. The complete sessions were later released, although I believe it's slightly hard to come upon after it went out of print.

You could always enjoy his playing on Miles Davis' little known Kind of Blue LP, that's celebrating its 50th anniversary!

Marginal & Troublesome

Quote from: Don_Preston on September 04, 2009, 11:10:15 AM
I believe the live album Sunday at the Village Vanguard is the best place to start.

What I was going to say, too!  A lovely record, the complete recordings seem to be available here: http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/B000AMJEKA/ref=ord_cart_shr

M&T 

Don_Preston

My mistake.

Although they won't win the Mercury Prize, token Jazz act Led Bib sound like exciting stuff. I regret not going to see them during the Bath Festival.

Similarly John Zorn seems to be releasing new albums at an alarming rate, a couple of which are installments to his Music Romance series, which were always some of my favourite of his 'solo' outings.

sirhenry

Thanks Don and M&T. I've found a massive torrent of Evans' albums (including about 5 versions of Village Vanguard), so I'll listen before deciding which version to get.

I came across an nth generation recording of his last performance, a couple of days before he died, on a page which seems to have had the links removed since yesterday. Luckily Google caches pages...

That and his work on A Kind of Blue made me want to explore further.
Thanks again.

On a related note I've given up on trying to get my mother's copy of the '65 recording of Stan Tracey's Under Milk Wood, and have bought the beast at last!

While on the subject of Jarrett, his next release is a 3CD set of solo piano concerts from last year, namely the Salle Playel in Paris and the Royal Festival Hall, London. It's called Testament and it'll be out in the first week of October.

I was at the Paris show and it was a remarkable evening. If London was even close to as good, which I'm sure it was, this'll be a special set.

Retinend

(This is a very long shot, but I know there are lots of jazz fans and old people - not looking at anyone in particular - on this site)

Has anyone got the 'Chris McGregor's Brotherhood of Breath' album 'Country Cooking' (1988)? I've heard an incredible live rendition of one of the tracks, Dakar, but the album has never been issued on CD.