Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 11:15:33 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Uday Hussein

Started by abbot lau, February 03, 2007, 10:16:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

abbot lau

I just came across this article about Uday Hussein and his brother Qusay.

It's startling. I knew Uday was a bad'un, but the stuff that's now coming to light is incredible. It reads like Arrested Development meets Bad Lieutenant....

http://www.mafhoum.com/press5/147P57.htm

QuoteUday tried everything to repair himself. In the ruins of the palace in which he last lived are thousands of packets of sterile acupuncture needles, an assortment of Chinese herbal medicines imported from Argentina and drawers full of multivitamins and sleeping pills. In the winter of 2002, says a butler, Uday demanded that his aides bring him a woman who had just had a baby. When the mother, in her 20s, with golden-brown hair and a henna-colored skirt and matching shirt, arrived, Uday sucked her nipples for what he believed would be vitamin-rich milk.

Suttonpubcrawl

That article is nearly four years old. It's hardly "stuff that's coming to light today"!

Brutus Beefcake

That makes him sound like a weird eccentric rather than the sadistic cunt he was.

QuoteUday reportedly murdered at least half a dozen women and tortured countless others. When one woman complained about the abuse, Uday had her "stripped naked, covered in honey and killed by three starving Dobermans," according to Middle East Quarterly.

http://www.rotten.com/library/bio/black-sheep/uday-hussein/

Good riddance.

Al Tha Funkee Homosapien

Apparently he used to imprison and torture athletes that didn't perform well in cells underneath the Iraqi Olympic Committee HQ of which he was the head. Fuck nut.

abbot lau

Quote from: "Suttonpubcrawl"That article is nearly four years old. It's hardly "stuff that's coming to light today"!

I didn't say 'today', I meant now since he died.

The more I read about Uday, Qusay and Saddam the more I picture them as GOB, Michael and George Bluth Sr. Could there be any intention here on the part of the writers of AD? (pardon my 'comedy chat' diversion)

Milo

Quote from: "abbot lau"The more I read about Uday, Qusay and Saddam the more I picture them as GOB, Michael and George Bluth Sr. Could there be any intention here on the part of the writers of AD? (pardon my 'comedy chat' diversion)

I don't know a great deal about Uday, Qusay and Saddam but I'd have to say no, absolutely not.

sproggy

So all three of them are dead, and during their lifetime they developed a reputation for being a bit waffy and dangerous, but they knew a darn site more about running Iraq than America could ever dream of.

Al Tha Funkee Homosapien

Well when the population of Iraq are managing to kill each other by the 1000s without the central government even having to be involved I suppose you could call it progress.

Borboski

Mmmnnnnhhhh... "I suppose stopping Uday from doing this sort of thing is progress of a sort....  mmmmmnn but the war wasn't for this reason anyway... mnnhhhhh."

Heh, you couldn't resist, so why shouldn't I?

Borboski

You see, it was this information which really turned me in 2003. I don't mind being a romantic on this - a principled univeralist of the left.  I read that information and thought "fuck me, who cares if there are other supporting reasons which will get the troops in."

"If there's a chance of stopping these fuckers then I want to be in on it."  All I could do was imagine myself placed in Iraq, with my wife... and thought - "fuck it, I'll take my chances in a sectarian fall-out".  I'd think "please god, someone send the troops in and take out these fuckers".

I just didn't have it in me for a cold realist assessment of deaths caused by Saddam now vs possible deaths caused by sectarian violence as a result of inability to win the peace.  I suppose in a way I should salute all the outraged types on the left who are now shouting "I tole you so! I tole you so! Bliiiar."

But I do wonder what those people think when they read accounts like this...

Borboski

Blaaah

Quote from: "Borboski"

That we told you so.

Still Not George

Quote from: "Blaaah"

That we told you so.

And that we (that is, the left) were telling people so back when people like Cheney were shaking hands with the cunt and selling him weapons to terrorise his people with.

samadriel

Quote from: "Borboski"Mmmnnnnhhhh... "I suppose stopping Uday from doing this sort of thing is progress of a sort....  mmmmmnn but the war wasn't for this reason anyway... mnnhhhhh."

Heh, you couldn't resist, so why shouldn't I?

Because over half a million Iraqis dead from sectarian violence is worse than a bushel-full of Iraqis dead from Usay being a cunt?

Oh well; fret not, my sweets!  We're turning the corner!

sproggy

Quote from: "Borboski"I suppose in a way I should salute all the outraged types on the left who are now shouting "I tole you so! I tole you so! Bliiiar."

Unfortunately, it would appear the only people who didn't see this coming a mile off were Dubya and his cronies.

Borboski

Quote from: "Still Not George"
Quote from: "Blaaah"

That we told you so.

And that we (that is, the left) were telling people so back when people like Cheney were shaking hands with the cunt and selling him weapons to terrorise his people with.

Sorry, you think "I told you so" when you read an account of the complete horror of the Baath regime?

That doesn't make sense.

I suppose the question - more specifically - was how do you feel when faced with the opportunity to try and remove Saddam and you say no... the UN didn't sanction it... in the context of accounts like these.

Like Samadriel - did you just say, "tough.  More people might die if we try and remove the regime?".  You see, I think the moral outrage of parts of the left, now, is actually extremely conservative, they stress national sovereignity, and they are actually weighing up death tolls and are able to steel themselves against stories like this.

Why does US supporting the regime in the past arise?

All Surrogate

Quote from: "Borboski"Why does US supporting the regime in the past arise?
You're serious?!   I mean, how can you, a student of politics, glibly brush aside the west's involvement in the recent political past of Iraq?!  What could persuade you that this is not relevant?

Quote... to forget whatever it was necessary to forget ...

Borboski

Well, tell me, how is it relevant to the question asked?  How the stop the war left respond to information pointing out the complete horror of the Baath regime?

I don't think this is central to the debate for policy-makers, by the way, I'm just interested in whether people accept that there's a conservative realist position to non-intervention.

I think you've misunderstood the dialogue above.

abbot lau

I started this thread to trade our favourite stories (either accurate or apochryphal) about the life and character of U.H. but blow me if it hasn't turned into a full on political discussion.

And by 'favourite stories' I'm not implying that I'm getting any sick satisfaction from reading these lurid sex&violence filled  accounts of someone who comes across as a comic book Tony Montana without the morality.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

I'll always remember Uday falling into a stream when he and I went fishing. He was a cheerful chubby man, a figure of fun and I'll remember him fondly.

The left have lost their moral authority. In the old days it was easy to root out the oppressed and champion their causes. Now, since equality was established in the west, it isn't so black and white. They find themselves on the same side as mass murderers, suicide bombers and woman oppressors. As long as they have an axe to grind against the west, the liberals will support them.
I guess they're as confused as the rest of us.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

It isn't a point about being on sides. Standing next to Muslims in a protest about the war in Iraq does not make you a supporter of mass murderers, suicide bombers and woman oppressors, and it doesn't undermine moral authority on any level. Making these huge sweeping statements about 'the left' isn't clever either.

All Surrogate

Quote from: "Borboski"Well, tell me, how is it relevant to the question asked?  How the stop the war left respond to information pointing out the complete horror of the Baath regime?
I don't know, how do they respond?  I'm just bemused that you think ignoring this history makes for a better understanding of the situation and helps answer the question asked.

Borboski

Quote from: "All Surrogate"
Quote from: "Borboski"Well, tell me, how is it relevant to the question asked?  How the stop the war left respond to information pointing out the complete horror of the Baath regime?
I don't know, how do they respond?  I'm just bemused that you think ignoring this history makes for a better understanding of the situation and helps answer the question asked.

I don't know how they respond, that's what I'm asking.  Or, if not the left, those who take a very outraged approach to Iraq.

I mean, come on, within a few posts of the initial one someone couldn't resist making a statement like this:

QuoteSo all three of them are dead, and during their lifetime they developed a reputation for being a bit waffy and dangerous, but they knew a darn site more about running Iraq than America could ever dream of.

pillockandtwat

Yeah, and I'm afraid that's true.

EDIT TO ADD: Glibly put but true.

All Surrogate

Quote from: "Borboski"I don't know how they respond, that's what I'm asking.  Or, if not the left, those who take a very outraged approach to Iraq.

I mean, come on, within a few posts of the initial one someone couldn't resist making a statement like this:

QuoteSo all three of them are dead, and during their lifetime they developed a reputation for being a bit waffy and dangerous, but they knew a darn site more about running Iraq than America could ever dream of.
So, you have found an answer to the question asked; you have found how they respond.  It's right there in the post you quoted.  They do of course have other responses, like the one Still Not George gave.

Santa's Boyfriend

Uday hanging out with his mate George:

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Quote from: "Shoulders?-Stomach!"It isn't a point about being on sides. Standing next to Muslims in a protest about the war in Iraq does not make you a supporter of mass murderers, suicide bombers and woman oppressors, and it doesn't undermine moral authority on any level. Making these huge sweeping statements about 'the left' isn't clever either.

I wasn't talking about the Iraq war protests, I was talking about various left wing articles and pieces I have read supporting mass murderers, suicide bombers and women oppressors. I'm not going to look for them now, but if you ask me to (as I suspect you probably will) I shall dig out some examples.
As for making huge sweeping statements, nobody seems to mind making them about the right, yourself included.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Quotenobody seems to mind making them about the right, yourself included.

What exactly have I said about the right that was 'sweeping', recently?

Your stance of  "some individuals who happen to be left-wing have written articles 'supporting' mass murderers, suicide bombers and women oppressors, therefore that's what the left is." isn't any more acceptable even I I was making sweeping statements about the right.